Which version of the Planet of the apes will stand the test of time?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by white wolf, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've seen them both. Recently I watched the TV series and the animated series, along with the 5 movies.

I am not looking for only one movie, but rather which grouping of Ape pictures, will be here the longest.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  2. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Not sure what you mean by "newer version," as there's the current series, as well as Tim Burton's one-off.

John K.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

original

Grand_Ennui, CrazyCatz and EdgardV like this.
  4. Michael

Burton doesn't count...

5. Michael

the original movies have stood the test of time IMO, the new series is excellent as well.

apesfan likes this.
  6. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I've never seen the new ones but the original film is so good, I can't imagine topping it. Not only a great SciFi movie, but a great movie period. It's the only Apes movie I own.

Jackson likes this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Orginal was mind blowing in 1968.
    Recent ones ? Good cgi but not epic.

xj32 and blutiga like this.
  8. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I have all of them on disc but I always prefer the first one.

9. alexpop

Wonder what a young person, under 25 thinks of the 1968 version ?
    Old /antiquated no doubt.

10. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

I think they both will. The new films are quite good and the original series already has. It's always a feather in someone's cap for their film to be remade.

11. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

The last one[War For The Planet]has a nice sentiment to it.

12. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

I think I've seen every one of the movies in the theater and love the entire group of movies. I prefer the newest group out of all the movies, mainly because they do a better job of explaining how the apes started talking. I think it's a serious flaw to send a talking ape back in time to teach the others how to talk.

13. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

I ofcourse love the original 5 movie series. I could go on with antidotes and stories and blah blah. The new series I feel are great but being there at the beginning the 1968-73 series are hard wired in my memory. What a time it was and how for 4-5 years Apes were everywhere especially for the young at heart. It attracted children but except for Battle it wasnt a childrens series. The stories were smart and prescient the music for the first 4 was great and the original preview version of Conquest was so cool in a grindhouse sort of way-the uncut version on bluray is not the preview version shown at Phoenix Arizona but the Japanese version.
    The prolouge was filmed and eventually cut for time and violence and a small part was used when a football helmeted guard turned into a conventional police hat when chasing Caesar over the Century City bridge. It exsists in whole and that would be an amazing addition.
    I saw all five on day and date of release from those bygone days with my parents ofcourse. I was at the right ages 8-14 to be indoctrinated into the Apes fandom. I was enthralled.
    The Tim Burton Apes was a disappointment but the new series validated the Apes for the future. I hope they go on but things overnight have changed and challenges await since 20th Fox films are under new management to say the least.
    If the five original get a proper 4k hdr release and the sound issues which are many get resolved the future will be bright.
    Take care, John M.

14. alexpop

The last three are too depressing.
    Saying that I enjoyed them.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    apesfan likes this.
  15. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

I was hoping you were not speaking about the Marky Mark version, that was horrendous.

16. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Even at the young age back then the endings of all the Apes films were sad but in a honest way. Films always had thought provoking endings back then and that more than not is always depressing. Starting a few years after these films we were going into the happily ever after phase which finally ended in recent decades and newer films are better for it. John M.

alexpop likes this.
  17. alexpop

Found I can watch the original loads of times. Recent ones I don't have interest to watch again.

18. alexpop

I've got the planet of the apes Caeser Ultimate Head DVD limited edition has all the films extras access them at the back with a flap from green military shirt looks very impressive. :D

white wolf and apesfan like this.
  19. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

The most recent trilogy is a case of diminishing returns, with the most recent one being so boring it was a slog. The first in that series was a nice installment, and these are really prequels to the original films if I understand correctly. It's unfortunate they got worse because it's a great sci-fi story. Oh well...that original is hard to beat.

Ghostworld and alexpop like this.
  20. alexpop

Great in The Omega Man as well!!!

GLENN and blutiga like this.
  21. alexpop

Poll votes are reassuring. :)
    Neil Sedaka..I Go Ape.

22. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Always a little embarrassing. The sound editor should of been more stringent. Films in the Old Days sort of got away with little picadillos as it would not wash today with the technology and sophistication I guess of todays audiences and film makers, though we did have Kubrick back then.
    Escape also had the baby milo going back and forth saying "mama"! with obvious film rocking cause the baby chimp would not sit still. Still the impact is not lost. John M.

23. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Me too. Great collection. Now add the recent films redo in hidef and you got a collection package that would be one of the best. John.

alexpop likes this.
  24. alexpop

The hair looks authentic

apesfan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.