Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - 2020

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Aug 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Too late now recipe is tainted.

2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Looks like Gunn won't be out of work for long.

James Gunn In Demand for Major Studio Movies After Disney Firing

Gunn who was fired July 20 after past offensive tweets came to light, has been approached by several top producers and executives at major studios dangling big film projects, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

"I’d work with him in a heartbeat," says one senior executive at a rival studio. Like the dozen or so execs and producers THR spoke with, this exec asked to remain anonymous because Gunn is not permitted to entertain other offers while his negotiation to exit Disney is ongoing.

“I’ve been advised that we can’t bring anything to him until the Disney matter is 100 percent resolved,” says another studio executive. Major players said to be interested in Gunn’s services run the gamut between studios, including Warner Bros., which has its rival superhero movies via DC Entertainment, and high-profile and Oscar-winning producers.

Vidiot, supermd and marmalade166 like this.
  3. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

if James were to go to work for the DCU that would be pretty hilarious. Man he would be PERFECT for a Doom Patrol movie....

David Campbell likes this.
  4. alexpop

Shame it's taken the zing out of GOTG franchise.

5. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Won't say too much for fear of turning this too political, but if recent news about the activities of the head of Marvel Entertainment are true, it goes a loooong way in explaining Gunn's ouster and why he's not been rehired.

jupiter8, Vidiot and Deuce66 like this.
  6. alexpop

Head of Marvel Entertainment.
    Stan Lee?

7. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Isaac Perlmutter

Deuce66 and alexpop like this.
  8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Bingo :edthumbs:. And getting rid of Perlmutter would create a legal storm of epic proportions and cost, Disney is not getting into that fight.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Hey, Bryan Singer is available. Maybe he could direct it! Oh, wait... :sigh:

I was thinking: WB could do a lot worse than to hire Gunn to do some DC Comics movies. That would kind of be a kick in the **** to Disney on the way out...

The amazing thing about what Gunn did, though, is that he took some D-list characters that nobody thought had a market at all, and managed to make not one, but two billion-dollar films that sold a ton of toys, comics, merchandising, on top of movie tickets and Blu-ray discs. That sets the high bar really, really up there.

If I were his agent, I would say, "let's get you a $300 million Netflix contract and put you in charge of 4 or 5 very edgy TV shows with big, big budgets." Total creative freedom, no censorship, no concern for Tweets... assuming he breaks no actual laws and commits no crimes.

The Hud, Simon A, Dubmart and 4 others like this.
  10. alexpop

The general public will go and see GOTG 3 unaware with what's gone on in the making of Guardians 3, regardless, the proof in the pudding is will it be any good.

11. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

...and once word gets out that it isn't as good as Vol 1 and 2 it will die at the box office. It would probably have a decent opening then fall off fast.

It's possible by some miracle whomever replaces Gunn can do a sequel that fits the same tone and vibe, has a strong story and captures the same heart as the previous outings,and one that reenergizes the cast to do their best work, but all look like a long shot, especially the later, given Dave Bautista's statements of late. I'm willing to bet the rest of the cast feels the same way. The script can be good and the director competent, but if the actors aren't motivated to do their best work, it will show.

It's sort of similar in a way to what happened with Dick Donner on the Superman films back in the day. The cast was close to Donner,the Salkinds fired him and the cast , while they got along generally with Richard Lester, didn't have the same enthusiasm and motivation. And ultimately some of the cast then spoke out (Margot Kidder) and some just refused to come back ( Gene Hackman).

As I see it, Disney has three options...

1)(The most likely) Hiring the Thor Ragnarok director to do a third Guardians and hope for the best.

2) (preferred by me if option 3 doesn't happen) Not do another stand alone Guardians movie. Leave Vol1 and 2 as they are and have some of the Guardians characters pop up throughout the marvel movies, like say a THOR sequel or a Ravagers movie based off the team of characters led by Sly Stallone introduced in Vol 2 or have a couple of the characters stay on Earth and join the next incarnation of the Avengers.

3)( the best option if the world was actually logical and sane) Marvel/Disney rehires James Gunn ,tell Mike Cernovich to go screw himself , and let Gunn and that cast have one last hurrah and make the best damn Guardians Vol 3 they can make.

supermd likes this.
  12. alexpop

Think Gaurdians peaked with vol1 that was a classic.
    Keep some of the characters for spin off films( cameos).

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    vince likes this.
  13. alexpop

I would ditch some of the characters (any)Groot, Gamara,nebula

14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I liked both films, though I liked the first one much more. Some of the crude humor in #2 (sensitive nipples, giant dump, the quality of Ego's *****) were unnecessary.

All I can say is they'd better feature Adam Warlock in the next one.

Ghostworld, razerx and alexpop like this.
  15. alexpop

Giant dump? That was Gunn's career going down the toilet. :D

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  16. alexpop

Can't see Gunn ever bettering his Guardians, but wish him luck ..he's talented he'll survive.

17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Chris from Chicago and Vidiot like this.
  18. HoratioH

HoratioH Talk Sparks to me

If Batista quits and Gunn's script isn't being used, as much of a GOTG fan as I am I don't think I'd be able to enjoy it. I just can't imagine anyone else playing Drax, even if he was rendered completely in CGI, and Gunn manages to balance humour (apart from the exchange at the beginning of Vol. 2- if you're gonna make a poo joke, at least make it funny and not have it stretch out for hours) and action in a way I feel no other director could.

19. alexpop

With the Guardians Drax imo is the star draw along with Rocket.

20. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

AMC brought Chris Hardwick back so maybe there is a chance.

I know James put all his effort into making them great movies.

21. Vidiot

And the latest report is that Marvel had scheduled some preliminary shooting on Guardians 3 in Atlanta, but that's now put on hold...

‘Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3’ Pre-Production Crew Dismissed As Project Goes On Hold

‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3’ Production on Temporary Hold

I hear Ron Howard is available if they're looking for a director. On the other hand, maybe that's not such a great idea...

The GOTG films have amassed over $1.6 billion worldwide for the studio, and are a beloved franchise for Marvel fans. Finding a director who stokes that fanbase will be tricky so that Disney doesn’t have another Solo: A Star Wars Story debacle on its hands with the next GOTG. Solo suffered at the global box office ($392.6M) this summer in the wake of the studio changing up from Phil Lord and Christopher Miller as directors to Ron Howard.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  22. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

A lot of news outlets are refusing to report on the fact that Gunn was attending a certain type of disturbing party, and his best friend whom he was retweeting was caught with some horrifying stuff.

Wonder if @Vidiot still defends Gunn after this?

Deesky likes this.
  23. Vidiot

If nothing illegal was going on, I don't see the problem. I've seen some fairly raunchy, bad-taste parties in my time, but none to the point where a) any laws were being broken, b) anybody was being hurt, or c) anybody understood that it was all a goof. There's a huge difference between parody and real-life.

24. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

At this point I'd be ok if we don't have another GOTG movie. Just have a few of the GOTG characters pop up in other Marvel movies or do a THOR RAGNAROK sequel co staring a few of them alongside Thor to finish out their contracts and let it go. If Disney insists on sticking to their guns in firing James Gunn then that's the only option IMO. A GOTG vol 3 without James Gunn is pointless. It's best to let VOL 1 and 2 stand as is and AVENGERS 3 and 4 and can bring their story to a close.

25. alexpop

Wouldn't want Howard myself( like The Missing). Lacks the imagination to make it classy, pull it off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.