How to transfer vinyl records to PC with my system?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DoF, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoF

DoF Less is more... Thread Starter

Hi guys, would like to transfer my vinyl collection onto my computer, but don't know how to connect my system to PC. Please advise. Thank you!

Pre Amplifier: Cambridge Audio 651 P:
    [​IMG]
    Amplification: NAD C 356BEE:

[​IMG]

2. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

I use one of these for that purpose and to play music on my PC through my receiver:
    http://a.co/55auNPO
    It does 192/24 but there are several other brands that make similar (better) products too.

DoF likes this.
  3. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

You would play your records as normal and take a wire from the jacks marked "Tape Monitor Out" to your recording device, which may be the Line In jack on your PC.

DoF likes this.
  4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

You just need to get the sound from the phono stage to the PC. This is going to depend on your sound card. Better ones have RCAs inputs, most just have a 1/8" (3.5mm) input. You'll need an adapter or an RCA to 1/8" if so. You can by pass the amp or out out of the tape monitor out. I would avoid the pre-outs as the preamplifier section of your amp will be in play.

DoF likes this.
  5. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

You need one of three items:

1. USB audio interface - This bridges the gap from your phono stage/amp to the USB port on your computer, and allows recording directly to your pc. (Focusrite 2i2 or RME fireface would be examples)
    2. A portable digital recorder - Allows recording without the immediate need for a computer connection (Tascam DR-100mkIII, Sony PCM-M10, etc)
    3. A nice pc sound card (Not as familiar with these, the RME hdsp 9632 is a nice one, but its $500)

The Focusrite 2i2 is a nice bang for the buck, to get started. You don't want to cheap out too much, or you may not like the sound of the recordings.

DoF likes this.
  6. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Some time ago (2013) I bought a nifty package that consists of the Audio2USB cable and Clearclick Audio Burner software. I used it once for something - and then forgot about it.

A month or two ago I found a copy of a vinyl LP in my collection that is not, or will never be, available digitally. This reminded me of that old package.

The steps to capture a copy of the album onto a laptop were easy: basically tap off a set of RCA outputs, plug the USB end into the laptop, fire up the burner software, hit record and play both sides of the album to create one big WAV file. However editing down the single file into individual tracks was becoming a pain, until I downloaded a free copy of Wave Editor. After a two or three minute learning curve I could easily capture all of the tracks - with lead in and lead out properly edited down. I then exported them as 320MP3 files, and imported them into iTunes - whose greatest virtue (IMHO) is its ability to edit (in this case add) lots of metadata quickly and with little fuss - which I did. I was left with a great digitized version of that album, as individual tracks chock full of metadata.

I could have exported those tracks in other (lossless) formats (rather than 320MP3) had I wanted to.

Very inexpensive way to accomplish this task.

Jeff

ps. I ran the "tap" off my main HT's vinyl section to the laptop. This allowed me to pass the signal through both an SAE5000 (to remove what few clicks and pops were present) and then through a just-refurbished Pioneer RG-1 (to add 10dB of dynamic range.) I love how good the final tracks sound.

DoF likes this.
  7. DoF

Thank you guys! :)

8. DoF

It works! I am a bit clumsy with Audacity, but will manage :) Thanks.

R. Totale likes this.
  9. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Enable your "Recording Meter Toolbar" (View > Toolbars) and keep peaks at/below -10 dB when recording. "Chopped off" waveforms are about the only thing you can't fix later.

Robert C, DoF and c-eling like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.