50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Much prefer Dont Pass Me by as a live act Ringo been doing in this century. His voice mixed in the original record sounded too country which I dislike a little. Same thing with Octopus’s Garden, his 2005 version its my favorite Beatle live song ever. His delivery on that song was amazing. For real. Its just that good.

apesfan and tinnox like this.
  2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The cat is out of the bag!

4. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Black and white are colors too! :D

5. Shaddam IV

It's a fine enough song IMO, but could have been executed a little better. The fiddle is nice, they should have leaned in that direction, but all the busy drumming (ironically) works against it. I give it a C.

Bern and tinnox like this.
  6. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

As George Martin said, Ringo’s voice does not have much range, but has a lot of color. He sounds more than adequate in songs that stay in his range, which is what he always did. Does he sound as good as John, Paul or George? No.

7. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

Agree on the grade. If it would be a minute shorter, it would benefit because it's a bit too long, just starts to be a drag.

Disagree about "Mary Jane", that one is just awful. Might as well put Lennon's piano jam "F##k a duckie" then too.

8. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

While Ringo's voice isn't very good, I think it is the combination of his below quality lyrics and tune writing coupled with his poor vocals that make many (most) of his self-penned tunes so bad.

Given good material (not of his own authorship or arrangements) he actually delivers pretty decent country tunes. His Beaucoups of Blues album is my favorite Ringo album.

I once again find myself agreeing with Schnitz on his grading of this song.

9. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Dear Prudence wasn't mixed until October 5th. (first attempt mono) at Trident. Then again at Abbey Road on October 13 (stereo and mono at EMI). AND there was additional SI at Trident on the 5th (for other songs..not Dear Prudence at Trident). The documentation from Trident is sketchy at best. I still think it's Ringo at the end, but can't prove it. But it was mixed long after Ringo came back.

Bern

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  10. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

Ah man. But this is one of the most absolute greatest...

...Paul is dead clues on the whole album!

;)

11. Arnold Grove

Note: It says REMIXED.

12. Shaddam IV

Was someone doubting this? Well I'm sure someone was, but not me!

Ern, jmxw and tinnox like this.
  13. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

No kidding. Agree.

14. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Geez...you have to cut Ringo some slack. It was his FIRST penned song he'd been working on forever. The last chorus repeat could have been lopped off..might have helped it somewhat. Agree with Shad the 4th...it's "busyness" seems to work against it in the long run.
    "If you want to hear the rest...you have to turn the tape over".
    All that said..guess I'd have to agree with the D...or maybe a C minus. Of all the Ringo lead vocals...this one ranks on the bottom tier for me. (along with Matchbox..which is just dull).

Bern

15. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

C means 'average' so if there are 300 Beatles songs you put Don't Pass Me By in the top 150? What are the 150 songs you think are worse than Don't Pass Me By? Can you even name 50?

Beatle Ed, Bern, tinnox and 2 others like this.
  16. Shaddam IV

Technically yeah, you're correct. It's a below average Beatles song. But I'm not sure it works that way in practice.

apesfan, Mr. Explorer, tinnox and 2 others like this.
  17. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Even that gets debunked! Read:

Lyrically, "Don't Pass Me By" tells of a man waiting for his girl to arrive at his home and is fearful that he's being stood up. One odd line that sticks out like a sore thumb is "You were in a car crash and you lost your hair." Some have speculated that this is a reference to Paul's "When I'm Sixty-Four" where the singer tells of a future time when he will be "older, losing my hair." Conspirators of the "Paul Is Dead" hoax pair Ringo's lyric to John's lyric "He blew his mind out in a car" from "A Day In The Life," both lines thought to indicate Paul's demise in 1966. McCartney fans will be happy to know, however, that the phrase 'to lose one's hair' is a common English phrase meaning "to become anxious or upset." So the woman who was late to Ringo's house was simply upset about being in an automobile accident and apparently phoned him to say she "would be late, about an hour or two." Ringo, being relieved, then responds, "That's alright" and waits patiently for her arrival. No conspiracies here!

"Don't Pass Me By" song by The Beatles. The in-depth story behind the songs of The Beatles. Recording History. Songwriting History. Song Structure and Style.

foxylady, Zeki, 2141 and 2 others like this.
  18. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

Sure. That's just what they want us to think. :shh:

There's always a way to debunk Paul is Dead if you desperately look hard enough for scraps of barely connecting clues to fit into your pre-formed conclusions about the subject. :winkgrin:

19. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

To me, Paul's drumming on 'Prudence' sounds very similar to what he'd later do on both That Would Be Something (splashing the cymbals) and Kreen-Akrore (just the overall feel) a couple of years later on the McCartney LP. So I've always felt that there's no question that it's Paul's drumming on the track.

20. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Don't Pass Me By was the SECOND song to be attempted at the WA sessions. (Revolution/1/9) was first. Obviously Ringo was geek'd that he had something to offer. Always wondered why John/George had no part in it's creation.

Bern

tinnox likes this.
  21. leudanielm

leudanielm Forum Resident

bobcat, Diego Lucas, tinnox and 2 others like this.
  22. Arnold Grove

Well, now that we know it is being REMIXED:
    Will there also be the original stereo mix included too? And how about the mono mix?

If they include a new remix and both the original stereo and mono mixes, then we are talking 6 CDs before the bonus material is added.

Hmmm. That seems like a lot of space already. I wonder how they will handle this.

tinnox, cwitt1980, IronWaffle and 2 others like this.
  23. Adam Schellin

Adam Schellin Forum Resident

I'll assume a Remix and then outtakes. They know we have all the previous releases.

I will predict it'll be 6 discs all told. $189.99 US.

24. Arnold Grove

For comparison: The Sgt Pepper box had a new stereo remix as well as the original mono mix, plus 2 CDs of outtakes.

tinnox likes this.
  25. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Don't Pass Me By is very ordinary even for Ringo and not a fiddle fan. Having said that it was number one in Sweden:faint: