Obladi oblada : like or don't like.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeaTleBob5, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

I've always liked it just fine, but still completely rediscovered it when the mono version was reissued.

In mono, its tweeness vanishes, and the track sounds almost manic, it jumps at you like a crazy train, the vocals are insane, some of the best McCartney vocals ever, the production is unbelievably inventive and effective. It could be a Madness song and be one of their best singles, it could be on Ram, it's such a wonderful irresistible performance !

BeaTleBob5, Lewisboogie and jacden like this.
  2. Livewire91

Livewire91 Mammagamma Member

I don't like it, but i can still listen to it. It reminds me of some kind of ring song. You sit in a ring with a bunch of people and clap your hands and sing this. Somehow it annoys me and i can't figure out why. Probably some old memories i can't seem to remember completely.

BeaTleBob5, ajsmith and Crimson Witch like this.
  3. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

It's fun and charming and the central message, life goes on, bra, is both simple and profound, direct and true, slice of life and the philosophy that gets one through it. I like it. Some people might argue, not entirely unreasonably, that the Liverpudlian faux Jamaican musical vibe and the adopted dialect of "life goes on bra" maybe haven't aged so well, but honestly it comes off like less of an uncomfortable appropriation than something like the music of Sublime.

gja586 and BeaTleBob5 like this.
  4. RJD1954

RJD1954 Forum Resident

Dislike this. One of those vaudeville sounding songs that The Beatles were prone to do every so often. Unfortunately.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  5. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I like it.
    Having little knowledge in the field of "dialect linguistic structure", I was caught off guard the first time I heard the song and the word "bra" being sung.

BeaTleBob5 and ajsmith like this.
  6. stuguy

stuguy Forum Resident

Once in awhile I enjoy it if I hear on the radio, but it’s not a song I would deliberately place on my playlist.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  7. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

More than likely a certainty. Was a number one in Australia. Should have been an official UK single as there were just the two singles in 1968

Song title and "life goes on bra" were an expression by Jimmy Scott-Emuakpor who was a friend of Paul's

Rfreeman likes this.
  8. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Love it! Anthology version with acoustic guitars is one of the best alt. versions as well.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  9. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

it is part of one of it not there best albums.what is not to like?

Lewisboogie and BeaTleBob5 like this.
  10. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

"di" or "da"? :laugh:

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  11. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I know where they came from.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  12. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Like it. Yellow Submarine, now that's a different story.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  13. Shaker Steve

Shaker Steve Beatles & Elvis Fan

I like it, it's one of the few that I can bear to listen to on that album.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  14. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Love it. And it's even better in the context of the White Album, because the context makes it seem more like a grotesque (which is a positive attribute in my view). It give it an ironic dark/sinister tinge. Always seemed bizarre to me that it receives so much vitriol.

15. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I like it well enough. Sure it's Paul at his goofiest. I can't imagine the White Album without it though.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  16. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

I absolutely love this song. I was 10 when the White Album came out and I remember hearing Ob La Di, Ob La Da a lot on the radio. It was only when I was older that I realized it was not a single at that time (yes, I know there was one later)

I love it when McCartney puts on his tropical hat. "Seaside Woman" is another favorite.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  17. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Ugh. I tried unsuccessfully to talk my old band out of playing the damn thing.

YardByrd and BeaTleBob5 like this.
  18. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

It was a #1 in the UK, albeit a cover version.

goodiesguy, BeaTleBob5 and Rfreeman like this.
  19. Lyedecker

Lyedecker Forum Resident

I was a wee kid in the 80s and I first remember it being used as theme song for the drama series "Life Goes On". I didn't hear the White Album until my teenage years. It took a while for it to gel as a real Beatles song in my head, but I like it now.

mtvgeneration and BeaTleBob5 like this.
  20. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

This is the only place outside of Hell where this piece of crap would get a positive response.

Schlagermusik.

YardByrd, Droogmeister and BeaTleBob5 like this.
  21. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

I like it ok.

McCartney gets a deserved bad wrap for writing nonsensical lyrics.

Then he writes two Beatle songs with complete stories in “Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da” and “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer” and they are two of his most hated tunes.

Other than being worth about a billion dollars and being part of the most successful band ever, McCartney just can’t win!!

gja586, Lewisboogie and BeaTleBob5 like this.
  22. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

It's a Beatles song on the bloody White album, what's not to like? I enjoy it. It's fun.

23. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

I chose the third option: don't care either way. It is dumb but it is not bad, not compared to some of the other clunkers on the album.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  24. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

No hate here, but I still prefer Yellow Submarine, Honey Pie or Maxwell's Silver Hammer. A nice pop song nevertheless.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  25. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

I've never cared for it. I'm not looking for depth in the lyrics or anything like that, I just never liked it. In fact, I'm really not crazy about most of that album.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.