The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

The first 20 of 30Ts are all 4-5 outta 5 stars shows, imho. The last 10 i'm sure have their moments, but, for my eras listening preferences, i reckon i already own plenty of post coma retail GoGD.
    I can't see myself reaching for them often when in competition with the rest of my collection. A rare time my completist OCD side listened to my rational side. YMMV.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    GuidedByJonO))) and KCWhistle like this.
  2. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

I've been following this funny British guy on YouTube who does reaction/analysis videos of guitarists. I harangued him into doing one for Garcia.

3. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

3 19 77

Best uptempo Eyes ever and the Seamons matrix sounds better than any official release possibly could.

Incredible

4. libertycaps

That was a fun watch. Happy to see a younger musician obviously smiling wide grooving enjoying Jerry. He "Gets it" !!

Crispy Rob likes this.
  5. Jack Cerro

The 67 Shrine Aud show is a keeper and sounds amazing.
    The 68 Greek Theatre mini set has really grown on me. Love the 11.
    The 72 show is typical fall tour 72 goodness. Its not 9-21-72, but what is.
    The 73 show isn't up to par with UCLA from the next night, but its good fall 73 show.
    The 74 show might be the best show I've heard from that Europe tour. Sounds great too.
    The 79 Cape Cod show and the 84 Augusta shows are both legendary.
    The 88 Oxford show is a favorite of mine, if only for the gnarly Bird Song and the set 2 opening Touch Hey Pocky Way.
    The 89 Miami has a mad Dark Star and other highlights. I prefer 10-16-89 Dark Star, but I'm probably in the minority.
    The 91 MSG has a sit in from Bruce and Branford Marsalis. I find it a little too busy, but worth a listen.
    The 93 Albany show keeps shocking me with its quality.

6. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

All of them are good, some are very good, and some are amongst the best of the year.

The Pigpen-Keith years are represented by top notch shows (except maybe ‘71 and ‘76, depends on your mood). I think everyone would point to 11/10/67 as one of those best of its era type shows.

The Brent-Vince years are represented very well and I’d put forward that the 84, 87, 89, 91, 94, and 95 shows are probably the best or top 3 remaining for their years at time of release.

By the way, I found your list of shows interesting.

Crispy Rob and notesofachord like this.
  7. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I'm sure there were plenty of "good shows" in the 30 Trips box, although there are a lot I haven't heard.

The ones I would consider essential are:
    11/10/67
    9/24/72
    9/18/74 (an all-time favorite)
    9/28/75
    10/27/79
    7/31/82
    10/21/83
    10/12/84
    10/1/94 (not "essential" but probably as good as they got in 1994)

A lot of the other picks are, frankly, mystifying to me (e.g. 7/3/88, 4/25/77) but I'm sure this subject has been hashed over many times in this thread already.

notesofachord likes this.
  8. JasW

JasW Forum non conveniens

I don't know know when a SBD ceased being what Bear started off doing by taping off his FOH mix and became a tape of a separate recordist's mix. For all I know, Bear did it that way as long as he was doing the FOH mix, which I believe was up until just before he went off to prison in '70. Bob Matthews took over doing the FOH mix in '70, and only (unfortunately) taped some shows, notably Harpur College. I presume he taped off the FOH mix outputs as well. When regular recording resumed with Rex Jackson in '71, Matthews was still doing the FOH mix. I don't know what Rex was recording from then, whether it was his own mix of split-off feeds or the FOH mix. I have the SBDs from all of the shows that went into Skull & Roses, but no idea whether they are the FOH mixes or separate mixes.

bmoregnr and budwhite like this.
  9. Jack Cerro

Buy it for $800.00, sell 10 of the cd's you don't love for $45-50 a pop. That gives you the best 20 shows for $15-17 a piece.

10. libertycaps

^Had i been more patient with getting the 30T shows, that's exactly what i'd have done. I own the first 20Ts. All penned out, i prolly paid ~$50 after market each.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

4-25-77 = not already released, not too likely to make people mad that it wasn't released as a standalone CD, something like that.

bmoregnr, Crispy Rob and mmthmj like this.
  12. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Yes, C. Miller & Associates circulated a complete FE '71 package some years back. It was done with the cooperation of TBTB, and included patch material from the multitrack sources when the 2-track source was incomplete. Here is the text file from one show indicating the recording and transfer info:

Recording Info:
    SBD -> Shure Line Mixers -> Advent Advocate Dolby B Unit ->
    Master Reel (Sony Deck - BASF Tapes - 1/4 Track - 7 1/2 ips)

Transfer Info:
    Master Reel (Teac A-6100) -> Advent Advocate Dolby B Unit ->
    Fostex FR-2LE -> WAV (24bit/96k)

Mastering Info:
    WAV -> Samplitude Professional v11.03 -> FLAC/16
    (4 Discs Audio / 1 DVD FLAC)

Master Reels Baked and Transferred By David Gans
    All Mastering By Charlie Miller
    [email protected]
    February 15, 2010

Patch Info:
    SBD -> 16 Track Master Reel -> Dat supplies:
    Bird Song (1:16 - 1:17) (2:58 - 5:39)
    Bertha (5:02 - end of track)
    That's It For The Other One (11:06 - end of track)
    Wharf Rat (complete track)

bmoregnr and budwhite like this.
  13. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

4/15/70 needs to be on the list of great porch crusher shows.

As for 9/19/70, it has not been released, as they don't have the tapes. What we do have was apparently found under the stage of the Fillmore East back in the day (during demo in '71??).

14. libertycaps

And for 1986-95 shows there are exhaustive non retail resources for those. (Not that i'd be bothered much to, tbh.)

15. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

4/15/70 & 5/14/78 are all-time great shows

16. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

LOVE late '71. Check out the two Detroit shows, they're magical (and not just for the fun FM broadcast banter about Ramrod getting busted). Also see: Ann Arbor from December.

17. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Recorded under the stage and preserved for our amazement. Here's the story courtesy of deadlists.com

TAPES FROM FILLMORE EAST FEBRUARY 1970

Reportedly it was during this Late Show (ed.- 11 Feb 1970) that clever and industrious Fillmore East stagecrew members including John Chester and Alan Mande managed to patch a Revox reel-to-reel deck with 15-inch reels into the PA feed underneath the stage, and the moment when our circulating SBD tape picks up the Dark Star, 10:23 after its opening, is the moment when they managed to get their jury-rigged system up and running. Circulating copies of this SBD master break off 3:41 before the end of the Lovelight; perhaps this cut is on the master. In addition to this 45 minute from 2/11/70 our enterprising heroes taped the Late Shows on the 13th and 14th (but apparently not the Early Shows), and copies of these tapes have been in circulation since the early 70s.

Bear also ran SBD masters of the 13th and 14th, and much of this material has now been released on Bear's Choice and Dick's Pick 4. However, it is unclear whether there is any SBD from the 11th in the vault. For the Dick's Picks 4 release, Jeffrey Norman patched gaps in the vault SBDs of the 13th and 14th using the surreptitious second SBD masters -- good karma all around.

18. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain Forum Resident

Donna's Strange Man:

And yes, you should explore 1976!
    Moonlight Mile: Moonlight Mile - Jerry Garcia Band - 03/06/1976 - Seattle, WA recorded by Pat Lee

I don't know how much live JGB you've heard, but as with the Dead, studio Garcia is a pretty poor representation of live Garcia. Lots of different styles covered than in Dead shows -- more reggae, more Motown, R&B, and soul, and other Americana -- and, oh yeah, long, long guitar solos.
    The Keith & Donna era had lots of harmonizing with Donna: Jerry Garcia Band - Ride Mighty High 12/22/76
    And in '78 Maria Muldaur was with the band too for more female harmonies, as heard on the popular 3/18/78 release: Jerry Garcia Band - I'll Be With Thee - 3/17/1978 - Capitol Theatre (Official)
    In the early '80s Garcia went back to that idea, picking up a couple backing singers, along with Melvin Seals on organ, which gave pretty much everything a gospelly tinge: Shining Star (2 cam) - Jerry Garcia Band - 11-9-1991 Hampton, Va. set2-02 (LoloYodel)

budwhite, Crispy Rob, adamos and 4 others like this.
  19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

If I recall the story right, the reels were found in someone's home in the 90's.

20. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I never trust the text though, I always check them by ear. But maybe I should try that, if it doesn't go wrong it would save a lot of time.

I don't understand anything you said after "1. Jack Straw," though...

21. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

For those shows I’d say ‘87, ‘89, ‘91, and ‘94 are must-owns for any GoGD fan and the rest from that era are really good (86 doesn’t do a ton for me, but it’s a good show for the year). 30 Trips did a really good job summarizing those years with only one or two questionable choices.

Crispy Rob and notesofachord like this.
  22. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I'll copy this over the GD Gearhead thread and we can pick it up there because it's a good conversation to have.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  23. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I think that's all correct except I'm not 100% sure that what Jerry does at 8:56 is an attempt to start Feelin' Groovy. It does seem like he's ready there in case Phil goes for it, but he starts on a higher note notice than he does when they do go into it, and it resolves into "Nope, not playing 'Feelin' Groovy'" very quickly...

Archtop likes this.
  24. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

This is exceptionally helpful -- thank you! I'll start putting together a list. Loving this Strange Man. Step aside, Donna haters.

To answer the question implied by the bolded part, essentially none. I've heard snippets of the 1991 album, but I bet it's been 20 years. I'll revisit that this weekend and check out the stuff you've linked to. Was planning a June 1974 mini-project with Road Trips 2.3 and Dick's 12, but maybe this Jerry Band thing is the next detour.

bmoregnr and Crispy Rob like this.
  25. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

It most certainly is not an attempt at starting Groovy, nor was I trying to imply such. 8:56 is Jerry hitting the re-start on the jam that eventually leads to Feelin' Groovy. By "we're going around boys" I meant all the way back (in spirit, if not in duration) to where Jerry takes over the lead guitar role at 5:51.

bzfgt likes this.