Peter Frampton "For 55 million streams of, ‘Baby I Love Your Way’, I got $1,700,"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tone, Aug 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

Yes, but contracts are not gambling. The terms of the contract are set forth in black and white. If a party enters into a contract and is just hoping it will not be enforced against them or for the full benefit of the opposing party, that is just super foolish. That person really needs to hire a competent attorney pronto and never enter into business deals without their counsel.

Doggiedogma and eflatminor like this.
  2. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

The problem is, neither is really qualified to evaluate the fairness or legal ramifications of a given contract. You have to know how things are done before you can gauge whether you're getting a raw deal -- which is why you need an attorney or equivalent representative in your corner -- and there were a lot of crooked attorneys, artist representatives, and managers in the business BITD.

That's one of the reasons Elliot Roberts was so well-regarded: his effective advocacy for his artists was seen as a rare exception.

3. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

You posted minutes ago that recording companies took a risk with every signing.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  4. It’s never that easy.

TonyCzar, MoonPool and uzn007 like this.
  5. But you know all those studios and meals and limos the record companies paid upfront for, came out of future royalties. So essentially most artists eventually paid those costs themselves - if the record was a hit.

TonyCzar and snowman872 like this.
  6. snowman872

If you cannot determine the fairness or ramifications of a contract - which is probably nearly every contract a layperson signs - then you need to hire a competent lawyer. If your attorney, artist rep or manager is "crooked" then you can file an action against them and the law provided remedies. However, it is best not to get involved with "crooked" business partners in the first place.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  7. snowman872

Nothing is easy in life.

Mazzy likes this.
  8. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

You are an attorney in a forum full of people discussing an issue that aren't.

9. lazydawg58

In other words stay out of the music business. :tsk:

snowman872, Chris DeVoe and uzn007 like this.
  10. stetsonic

stetsonic Forum Resident

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Man, I miss Hunter S. Thompson.

TonyCzar, snowman872 and Mazzy like this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Just so you know, he didn't write the second sentence.

uzn007 likes this.
  12. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. lazydawg58

40+ years ago there was a band here in NC that was very successful locally. They had some opportunities to sign with major labels. They passed each time. They started their own label, produced their own 45s, 8-tracks, cassettes, and LPs, sold t-shirts etc. They got some bubbling under the top 40 country airplay, critical acclaim, national cable tv appearances. They told me once that the reason they didn't sign to a major label when they had an opportunity was that they would have to sell 50,000 major label records to make the same profit that they would make selling (I think it was) 5,000 of their self pressed records. Over the years several alumni of the band made it to Nashville, one cut a couple of solo major label albums and wrote some hit songs, another signed with RCA and put out a handful of singles, another had some success on an independent label for a while. None of them succeeded as much as the original band did by doing it all themselves. And they are still playing, with two original members!

Doggiedogma and snowman872 like this.
  14. stetsonic

stetsonic Forum Resident

I stand corrected and slightly disappointed. Still, it's a great quote. :)

MoonPool and Chris DeVoe like this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

Friends of mine were in the same position. They were being courted by labels, but they had done their homework by reading Cashbox magazine and discovered that they had sold at their merch table more copies of their home recorded album than the best of the labels had sold of their best-selling act.

lazydawg58 and stetsonic like this.
  16. tages

tages Senior Member

This!

lazydawg58 likes this.
  17. snowman872

Hey I don't disagree, but the sad thing is, it's the same in every industry (filled with crooked snakes).

stetsonic likes this.
  18. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Yes, I do.

(And you left out coke and whores!!!)

And racked up "debt" if it wasn't a hit.

So, yeah. No one ever said record company accounting made sense, but this was the model in talking point if not practice. Bottom line is, record cos. almost always grabbed the copyrights, and the length of time of just what that means has only grown. It was "50 years" a long time ago. Like, 1978. The mad scramble of "copyright releases" of 50-year-old stuff from Dylan and the Beatles should be proof enough.

That scramble will stop when they finally roll forward to origin dates after 1972. They can then relax and breathe for another 40 years. (Poor dears, they'll need a rest.)

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I've already had to contemplate Robert Fripp in a yellow "Century21" jacket talking up the local schools.

Now this.

TGIF.

uzn007 and stetsonic like this.
  20. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

I am not an attorney. Strike three.

Aren't you a teacher? Geez, I hope you don't make this many erroneous assumptions with your students!

21. Chris DeVoe

That's the most important part!

Mazzy likes this.
  22. per diem covered that part.

TonyCzar, uzn007 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  23. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

Folks also need to remember that organized crime -- and more generally, corruption -- has played a huge role in Hollywood and the music industry. Remember, Pink Floyd had to pay a bribe (or multiple bribes) before Another Brick in the Wall Part 2 was allowed to top the charts in L.A.!

Duress can come in many forms, some more legal than others -- as Suge Knight and/or Vanilla Ice might be willing to attest.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  24. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

Isn't that the way it has always been, in pretty much every creative profession ever?

TonyCzar likes this.
  25. lazydawg58

It's a forum. We are just shooting the breeze. You need to lighten up a bit.

TonyCzar and uzn007 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.