Obladi oblada : like or don't like.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeaTleBob5, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I disagree. There are a couple on Abbey Road I prefer Obladi to.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  2. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I like Paul at "his goofiest". Which is why I like "You Know My Name.. Look Up The Number" so much.
    Both Paul and John are having a blast, and it's a great listen.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  3. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

It's a harmless, fun pop song. I don't think if it were released by anyone else, it would still be played on the radio. I think people's strong dislike for it was it's inclusion on the White Album, which contained a lot of "serious" music.

lightbulb and BeaTleBob5 like this.
  4. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

I like it. It’s another track out of left field on an album with many tracks out of left field that made the fabs stand out and above the rest.

Lewisboogie, ParloFax and BeaTleBob5 like this.
  5. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Aw c’mon ... it’s got, pep, bounce, horns, lalalala backups, chuckling ... what’s the hell’s not to like?:pineapple:

6. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I'll be fascinated how this evolved into Lennon taking the lead with the arrangement (piano part.....which seems to provide the rhythmic backbone for the final master).
    Perhaps the boxed set will offer some insights.

Lewisboogie, lightbulb and BeaTleBob5 like this.
  7. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, I don't feel bad for him. As a matter of fact, I thinks it's cool that he didn't mind being silly or goofy in his musical offerings.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  8. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I’ve always liked it. I like Maxwell’s Silver Hammer too. Life goes on...

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  9. One of those, like Wild Honey Pie, which I like more and more as I get older (and some will say stupider...). Not wild about the tamer version on Anthology III, but the official one with John's involved piano and the crazier ambience, works. I love the "on-tempo belly laughs"!

Lewisboogie and BeaTleBob5 like this.
  10. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

As one member once said: "The White Album is a perfect collection of 30 songs, not a collection of 30 perfect songs." Everything fits in the fabric of the album----take anything out, even the asides, and it wouldn't feel right. I don't think this applies to any other record of their's----and I can't quite articulate it. The sequencing is absolute genius----like side 2 of Abbey Road and side 1 of Pepper.

11. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

Only song I’ll skip on the album.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  12. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

The list of Beatles songs I don't like is a very small one. But this song is on it.

YardByrd and BeaTleBob5 like this.
  13. arriano

arriano The California Kid

I've never understood the strong dislike some people have for this song. It's not even the worst song on the White Album.

Lewisboogie and BeaTleBob5 like this.
  14. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

It may have been the first tune I ever heard: it was certainly the first record I can remember playing (the Marmalade's cover version on CBS, which made me think that Olba-Di was another name for orange because of the colour of the label). So, I'm pretty much genetically disposed to like it! :)

ajsmith and BeaTleBob5 like this.
  15. ^It's been covered here too, in French.

16. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

I’m somewhat obla di, obla da about obla di, obla da these days but it was one of those songs I loved when I first heard in ~27 yrs ago when I first heard my first ever Beatles album (white album) during a sleepover at a friends house...

So I have to say I like Obla di, Obla Da for this poll.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  17. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

During the last McCartney show I saw in May 2016, I can honestly say without exaggeration that this song had the loudest and most enthusiastic audience response of the entire evening.

AFOS, Lewisboogie, Gila and 2 others like this.
  18. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

John: "I am the eggman/They are the eggmen/I am the walrus, goo goo g'joob!"
    Critics: "Oh my god John, those lyrics are brilliant!"

;)

Lewisboogie, Gila and BeaTleBob5 like this.
  19. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I love it and always have. One of my favorite Beatles tracks. I think it would have been a big hit if it was released as a single at the time of the original debut of the White Album.

lavalamp3 and BeaTleBob5 like this.
  20. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

I sort of hate it as a calculated, awkward piece of music, but find myself enjoying it from time to time.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  21. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Like it.

Its melody and chant-like chorus are infectious ear candy and very memorable.

I also imagine that this big reggae/pop sound was probably pretty fresh and different-sounding when it first came out in '68.

That was one of the Beatles' great skills...Staying within pop music but still pushing boundaries within that in different and unexpected ways.

lavalamp3 and BeaTleBob5 like this.
  22. It's a fun throwaway sort of ditty for when you're in the mood for bouncy silliness that isn't too cloying.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  23. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I did already know the song for years before I learned it was actually by The Beatles. Until then I was under the impression that it was an English children's song.
    :doh:

Love it, BTW.

Crimson Witch and BeaTleBob5 like this.
  24. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

If Monkberry Moon Delight was written by Dylan the lyrics would be absolutely brilliant.

But it is written by McCartney so it nonsensical throw away garbage.

lavalamp3, gja586, ParloFax and 3 others like this.
  25. Droogmeister

Droogmeister Welcome to the Atrocity Exhibition

I find it annoyingly twee, may aswell add that I really don't like The Beatles.

I do appreciate John Lennon solo material though.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.