EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

1975 remake, and you did not specify that you were talking about the original version. Oh, as I stated earlier, I did not grow up knowing about Neil Sedaka, as my family never bought their music, nor did I ever hear it on the radio. So, his 70s presence was new to me. But, when his remake did come out it the end of 1975, I was made aware that he had a 1962 hit with it by way of hearing it on AT Top 40 with casey Kasem. In fact, the remake starts out with the original intro.

If you heard him before 1974, bless ya!

I didn't blow my stack. I have said twice now that i'm no longer protesting anyone jumping ahead. I want you all to experience for yourselves what it does to the coherency of this discussion when it happens. It isn't just you who does it. I have gotten siucked into it. Even the OP does it.

Too bad you can't see how calm I am behind this keyboard.

I think you're the one who needs to chill.

Perhaps the format of doing one song at a time in sequence is boring you guys.

2. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

"Goofus" might have performed quite well had it been 1973, in the middle of their hot streak and pop music was going through it's vaudeville nostalgia thing.

But 1976? Oof!

Jrr and sunspot42 like this.
  3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I know all of that, I just didn't know they had a name. That's all.

4. SomeCallMeTim

SomeCallMeTim Forum Resident

Just a reminder that Mr. Sedaka's inspiration for reworking "Breaking Up..." into Adult Contemporary was not entirely his own, I present this 1970 effort by Lenny "Since I Fell for You" Welch. It was one of few 45's my parents ever bought, as I don't believe there was an album (?), and I had to show them how to work the 45 adapter on the living room KLH system that I was otherwise forbidden to touch. It managed #34 pop and #8 AC in 1970.

pablo fanques and Damiano54 like this.
  5. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

6. Dr. Pepper

The Streak might be the first or second single that I owned! I loved this record, I just laughed and laughed at age 9. I did not realize that Paul's Band on the Run was what replaced the Streak. Two running songs in a row, guess the country was into physical fitness that year!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  7. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I forgot about the 1975 remake, which should explain why I didn't specify "original version". Sorry. The remake is not something I care to remember.
    Therefore, I was not jumping ahead. Also, see the next paragraph.

Really, though -----> no clarification of 1962 vs. 1975-1976 should have been needed. I was talking about a song from 1972 that was a cover. 1962 is earlier than 1972. Late 1975 is not earlier than 1972. It should have been obvious I was talking about the 1962 version of the song -- since the late 1975 version was the first appearance of the radical remake (and that last point should be obvious and did not need to be specified). Once again, not jumping ahead.

To me, bold text is the equivalent of yelling while in typing mode. I'm sorry I'm misunderstanding you. but that's the way you are coming across.

Please stop making assumptions about whether doing one song at a time is boring me ("you guys" does include me). It isn't boring me. I feel the same way W.B. does --- "it's not the process, it's the journey".

All I am saying is that --- when I see an obvious error, I try to figure out what the error is, rather than just call the person out on it. A lot of times it's not that hard to figure out. (to be specific, here I am referring to David Cassidy/Partridge Family --- so we don't get into an argument over exactly what I am referring to!).

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    sunspot42 likes this.
  8. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

I really liked “Laughter in the Rain” - a nice light-hearted pop song with a catchy melody. At the time I thought of Neil Sedaka as just another current artist who appeared on the various tv talk/variety shows. I had no idea he was making a “comeback” or that his other song (which we haven’t reached yet in the discussion but since it’s been mentioned) was his own re-make.

Grant and sunspot42 like this.
  9. Dr. Pepper

Timothy Fiacco likes this.
  10. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I would say my favorite year for #1 songs is 1965. A lot of future in those groups that hit #1, and before things got crazy/weird.
    1966 is close behind, but as a group, I like the 1965 songs more.

Dougd, Manapua and Dr. Pepper like this.
  11. Dr. Pepper

List of Billboard Hot 100 number-one singles of 1965

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These are the Billboard Hot 100 number one hits of 1965.

Key
    The #1 song of 1965, "Wooly Bully" by Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs, never reached #1 on the weekly charts.
    Issue Date Song Artist(s) Reference
    January 2 "I Feel Fine" The Beatles
    January 9
    January 16 "Come See About Me" The Supremes
    January 23 "Downtown" Petula Clark
    January 30
    February 6 "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" The Righteous Brothers
    February 13
    February 20 "This Diamond Ring" Gary Lewis & the Playboys
    February 27
    March 6 "My Girl" The Temptations
    March 13 "Eight Days a Week" The Beatles
    March 20
    March 27 "Stop! In the Name of Love" The Supremes [1]
    April 3 [2]
    April 10 "I'm Telling You Now" Freddie and the Dreamers [3]
    April 17
    April 24 "Game of Love" Wayne Fontana and
    the Mindbenders [4]
    May 1 "Mrs. Brown, You've Got a Lovely Daughter" Herman's Hermits
    May 8
    May 15
    May 22 "Ticket to Ride" The Beatles
    May 29 "Help Me, Rhonda" The Beach Boys
    June 5
    June 12 "Back in My Arms Again" The Supremes
    June 19 "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)" Four Tops
    June 26 "Mr. Tambourine Man" The Byrds
    July 3 "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)" Four Tops
    July 10 "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" The Rolling Stones
    July 17
    July 24
    July 31
    August 7 "I'm Henry VIII, I Am" Herman's Hermits
    August 14 "I Got You Babe" Sonny & Cher
    August 21
    August 28
    September 4 "Help!" The Beatles
    September 11
    September 18
    September 25 "Eve of Destruction" Barry McGuire
    October 2 "Hang On Sloopy" The McCoys
    October 9 "Yesterday" The Beatles
    October 16
    October 23
    October 30
    November 6 "Get Off of My Cloud" The Rolling Stones
    November 13
    November 20 "I Hear a Symphony" The Supremes
    November 27
    December 4 "Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There Is a Season)" The Byrds
    December 11
    December 18
    December 25 "Over and Over" The Dave Clark Five

John54 and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  12. Dr. Pepper

List of Billboard Hot 100 number-one singles of 1973
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These are the Billboard Hot 100 number-one singles of 1973. The longest running number one single of 1973 is "Killing Me Softly With His Song" by Roberta Flack which stayed at the top spot for five non-consecutive weeks.

Key
    The yellow background indicates the #1 song on Billboard's 1973 Year-End Chart of Pop Singles.
    Issue Date Song Artist(s) Reference
    January 6 "You're So Vain" Carly Simon
    January 13
    January 20
    January 27 "Superstition" Stevie Wonder
    February 3 "Crocodile Rock" Elton John
    February 10
    February 17
    February 24 "Killing Me Softly with His Song" Roberta Flack
    March 3
    March 10
    March 17
    March 24 "Love Train" The O'Jays
    March 31 "Killing Me Softly with His Song" Roberta Flack
    April 7 "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia" Vicki Lawrence
    April 14
    April 21 "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree" Dawn featuring Tony Orlando
    April 28
    May 5
    May 12
    May 19 "You Are the Sunshine of My Life" Stevie Wonder
    May 26 "Frankenstein" The Edgar Winter Group
    June 2 "My Love" Paul McCartney & Wings
    June 9
    June 16
    June 23
    June 30 "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)" George Harrison
    July 7 "Will It Go Round in Circles" Billy Preston
    July 14
    July 21 "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown" Jim Croce
    July 28
    August 4 "The Morning After" Maureen McGovern
    August 11
    August 18 "Touch Me in the Morning" Diana Ross
    August 25 "Brother Louie" Stories
    September 1
    September 8 "Let's Get It On" Marvin Gaye
    September 15 "Delta Dawn" Helen Reddy
    September 22 "Let's Get It On" Marvin Gaye
    September 29 "We're an American Band" Grand Funk
    October 6 "Half-Breed" Cher
    October 13
    October 20 "Angie" The Rolling Stones
    October 27 "Midnight Train to Georgia" Gladys Knight & the Pips
    November 3
    November 10 "Keep on Truckin' (Part 1)" Eddie Kendricks
    November 17
    November 24 "Photograph" Ringo Starr
    December 1 "Top of the World" The Carpenters
    December 8
    December 15 "The Most Beautiful Girl" Charlie Rich
    December 22
    December 29 "Time in a Bottle" Jim Croce

13. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Before we leave (at least for a while) Sedaka and Carpenters talk, here's one more item I remember from the time. The Carps were doing a Vegas tour and since Sedaka was enjoying renewed fame and wrote Solitaire, they offered him the opening slot. He proved to be so popular with the audience and was stealing their thunder so he was subsequently let go. Columist Rona Barrett detailed what went down and it looks like both sides came out looking bad.

Hey Vinyl Man, tmoore and sunspot42 like this.
  14. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Oh, I forgot about that. Elton would have a falling out with Neil not long after. That was the end of that comeback...

15. Black Thumb

We've just started my favorite year so far! A lot of it is nostalgia because it's the first year I have a lot of strong memories of.

Grant likes this.
  16. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

Elton is such a messy Queen

:D

17. Dr. Pepper

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I just turned 54 and for some reason the songs from 1972-1974 have a really unique place in my heart. It might be do to the fact that my older sisters had entered junior high and were really into listening to the radio and calling in requests. Seems like the radio was on all the time in those years.

Splungeworthy likes this.
  18. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Bobby, based on music you enjoy may I recommend that you pick up a cheap copy of Sedaka’s Back, which contains that song? I think it’s up your alley and a nice album. Not well recorded, but good music. The Immigrant is my favorite all time Sedaka song and is on there as well. As another poster mentioned, it was pieced together from two albums so that’s probably why it contains a lot of good songs. The opening song, Standing On The Inside is outstanding and should have also been a single. And if you can forget the “other version” we’ll discuss later, his version of Love Will Keep Us Together is very good and one of the few songs I like just about as much as a hit version by another artist. It’s easy to see why Elton signed him to his label. Unfortunately, at least for me personally, his albums were very weak after that one and a singles comp would be much better, but Sedaka’s Back stands on it’s own as a fine album from 1974. I have it on vinyl and don’t need my CD...if you can’t find it cheap PM me and I’ll send you mine in return for all your great threads and posts!

Grant, sunspot42 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

It could indeed totally melt down. What I’ve tried to do, and not always been successful at, is to only bring up hits by artists that we’re on their only number one, or the last number one by that artist, and therefore said artist is likely going to disappear from here because of that (I know...not very elegantly put...sorry but you get my point). Otherwise, a lot of good info will never get written. For example, Sedaka wrote Love Will Keep Us Together and we know his version was not the hit, but it will be coming up soon so I referenced it but did not mention the artist. But I think it was a good point as it was such a huge song, and he did a very good version of it imo. And I think this is kinda the solution others have agreed to as well, a few pages back. We’ll see how it works, but I agree we should try to adhere to that guideline. And, as you pointed out, we don’t want to all shoot our “wad” when some big monster hits start popping up from artists that aren’t as hot during this time frame.

20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Sedaka was so new to me when Laughter was being played all the time that I thought he was a female artist! Many others thought the same back then. He had been off the radio for a long time, so it’s understandable.

Grant, lightbulb and sunspot42 like this.
  21. Dr. Pepper

I did not think he was female, but some other artists I thought were female at first.

Grant likes this.
  22. Black Thumb

I just turned 54 myself! I was the oldest, and my folks were almost strictly into country so I pretty much had to blaze my own trail into pop music.

Also, we lived way in the boondocks clear up until '77, so radio reception was strictly an "after sundown" thing. '75 was the year that it all clicked into place and I really fell in love with what was coming over those crackly AM signals.

That said, a lot of pop songs from '71 to '74 made a huge impression as they played in the world around me. But it wasn't until late '74 that I actively pursued them.

SomeCallMeTim and Dr. Pepper like this.
  23. Black Thumb

My thoughts exactly. Carpenters are a perfect example of this - we know this is their last #1. We know they're not going to make much of an impact in the last half of the decade.

And I don't know about anyone else, but these next five years are going to be jam-packed with other artists I intend to discuss. I probably would've spotlighted "All You Get From Love Is A Love Song" since I love it so much, but other than that there will be no compelling reason to bring them up.

So why not give an act that's been a huge part of these pages for the last five years a well-deserved bon voyage and sum up the rest of their career?

(BTW, Helen Reddy just had her final #1, but the gang here clearly don't love her as much. :p)

24. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Curious point there. I've mentioned elsewhere how I've been noticing since I was a teenager, everyone seems to love at least one Carpenters song (and usually several), no matter how far removed that sound is from their usual tastes. That doesn't apply to many of their contemporaries, so it really seems specific not to early-70s mellow in general, but to the Carpenters in particular.

sunspot42 and Dr. Pepper like this.
  25. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I think "at the time" many in the industry came to dislike her then-hubby Jeff Wald who had something of a "reputation," but other than that I'm not going further, and that backlash would affect her career. But it may have something to do with why her chart fortunes began to fall south after that final #1 of hers.

sunspot42 likes this.