Importcds is now charging taxes

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Tullman, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member Thread Starter

I just added some items to my cart and went to checkout only to see state taxes being applied. I'm not sure if this is because they have now representation in MA or this goes for everyone. I have never been charged taxes before and my last order on 7-14-18 did not have taxes. Did anyone else see these taxes?

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

No taxes on my experimental "purchase." They must've established a physical presence in your state.

I recently learned Music Direct has a warehouse here, so I'm charged taxes.

audiomixer likes this.
  3. Tullman

Strange. Amazon has just physically moved into MA and I know they are advertising for new employees. I wonder if Import cds is affiliated with Amazon.

Anyway, I might not be ordering as much from importcds at a 6.25% premium.

4. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Does this have anything to do with the recent Supreme Court decision? I think we’re on the verge of being charged sales tax on all internet purchases.

audiomixer likes this.
  5. Myke

If that were the case, I would've been charged as well.

6. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

I've ordered from Importcds about a half-dozen times throughout the year so far, and each time I have been charged tax -- whether I order via eBay or directly from their website. (I live in Calif.)

7. Tullman

Yeah, I think importcds is based in CA.

8. Myke

Irvine, CA

9. zen archer

zen archer Forum Resident

Did you order thru their site or thru Ebay? My last order with importcd's was on July 11 thru Ebay and I was not charged sales tax.

i just put an item in my cart on Ebay and yes it is showing sales tax. Damn!

10. Tullman

No. I tried to order from Importcds.com today, saw the tax charge and cancelled my order. My last order was 7-14 and no tax.

11. zen archer

Also I put an item in my cart at Deepdiscount and when I put my zip code in sales tax shows up.

Myke likes this.
  12. Myke

It's the new Mark Wahlberg tax. :winkgrin:

zen archer likes this.
  13. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Move to Oregon. No sales tax. And a sales tax would have to be approved by voters & that's not going to happen.

14. zen archer

This just came thru email from the Boston Globe: Capitalizing on Supreme Court’s Wayfair decision could be tricky for Mass. - The Boston Globe

The basis of the Baker administration’s logic for collecting taxes from out-of-state sellers was that cookies, a kind of tracking code that retailers place on customers’ phones and computers — as well as the use of apps — count as a kind of as physical presence.

The theory: If enough Massachusetts consumers install apps from, say, Newegg or Overstock on their phones, those retailers then have a physical presence in the state. The administration exempted many smaller vendors. (Amazon, the biggest online retailer, has been already collecting sales taxes here for nearly five years.)

Myke likes this.
  15. Myke

And once again, I was right. :laugh:

Opeth likes this.
  16. zen archer

What if I put an order into Importcd's and pay sales tax and then immediately erase the cookie. The cookie or app is no longer in my computer and therefore no longer in the state.

17. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

that's why i waited until i moved here to spend thousands of dollars on vinyl & buy a new car!

ScramMan2 and audiomixer like this.
  18. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Two orders in last week, no tax to Michigan. :wiggle:

19. Tullman

MA is trailblazing a new source of tax revenue for the rest of you suckers.:p Politicians are copy cats, especially when it comes to raising taxes. Like @bubba-ho-tep said, we are all on there verge of internet taxes.

20. doublenaught

doublenaught Forum Resident

I just placed an order. No tax in Indiana.

Myke likes this.
  21. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Haha! That's awesome. They can rationalize anything these days.

Mr. Explorer and zen archer like this.
  22. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Pre-ordered "Miles Smiles" (Mobile Fidelity) SACD today and was hit with sales tax...but it was still £2 cheaper than ordering from their U.K. counterpart WOWHD!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  23. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Newbury Comics in MA hit me with OH taxes AND sent my package to the bottomless Jersey City shipping distribution pit.

24. Tullman

That's your Ohio gov. sticking it's claws into you. They are no better than MA.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  25. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I just noticed that importcds.com put tax on something as I was checking out and intered my zipcode. I am in Wisconsin and have never been charged tax by them before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.