Bands with one to zero original members

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HoratioH, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

The Temptations
    The Kingston Trio
    The Limeliters
    The 4 Freshmen
    No original members in any of the above.
    Leader/director Randy Sparks is the only original member of the New Christy Minstrels.

goodiesguy, Jimmy B. and uzn007 like this.
  2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

An "original lineup" is the lineup that the majority of people remember. I mean, to 99% of the population, Steve Perry and Neil Peart are 'original members,' for all intents and purposes. It gets a little more complicated for situations like Bruce Dickinson, since the two Di'Anno Maiden records have a lot of fans, but if Maiden was still doing the membership shuffle, we'd be comparing a new lineup to the '82-88 band that made most of the records people love, not the 'original lineup.'

Let's just reclassify "original lineup" as "classic lineup," permanently.

Jarleboy, MYQ1, jonathan and 6 others like this.
  3. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Not sure if they're still touring or recording, but the Christian rock band Petra went through a number of personnel changes and carried on for a number of years with no original members.

4. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Well, Sensational Alex Harvey Band did work as "Sensational Alex Harvey Band Without Alex".
    [​IMG]

5. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

I'm sure I know the answer for this crowd, but is there more respect/forgiveness for situations when the musicians change the branding....only prominent example that comes to mind now is "Dead and Co." which contains 2/5 of the original G Dead, and half of most versions of "classic G Dead" but playing the G Dead repertoire....any other big examples of bands that have that much connection to original or classic, but changed the name out of respect?

6. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

You could make a football team out of the musicians that have been in Whitesnake. Ten guitarists, eight bassists..... Still got some way to go to beat The Fall though.

Christopher B and mikedifr0923 like this.
  7. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

ARW for awhile there had one original Yes-man, and by various definitions 3/5 of two different "classic" versions, but they gave up on the separate branding pretty quick, right?

RangerXT and uzn007 like this.
  8. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

As I recall, they were actually calling themselves "The JGB Band" for a while, but that's a pretty subtle distinction. A real "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. I'm sure that even if he toured as "The Melvin Seals Band", club owners and promoters would have been pressuring him to change the name to "JGB something". He might not have even been able to book a national tour as "Melvin Seals".

9. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Santana.

10. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

King Crimson. :D

11. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Thomas has stated in interviews more than once that he is grooming his eventual replacement and sees no reason why the band shouldn't continue after he leaves. Difficult to contemplate, but not impossible at all, especially with the core of musicians they have now and the group's flexibility as far as lineups.

RomanZ and mr.datsun like this.
  12. the drummer gary peterson has been there since the beginning

sean4554, bekayne and seed_drill like this.
  13. bills have to be paid someway

14. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Of cource it fits. Who, in the current band, was in The Cure for three imaginary boys? Just because others have been in the band a very long time doesn’t make them original!

I’ll add New Model Army but most won’t know of them or care.

• [​IMG] now called paul reveres raiders

goodiesguy and pocofan like this.
  15. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

The Residents.

The aficionados know who at least two of them are, and possibly all of the "classic four." The identities of the instrumentalists in the current touring band are all known.

Of the two originals who've remained in the band since the 80's it is now only the "singing Resident" (who, ahem, may or may not be the same person as "Randy" or Homer Flynn from the Cryptic Corporation) left, after the departure of Charles Bobuck/Hardy Fox.

16. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I am not taking anything away from Scum and From Enslavement to Obliteration, but I don't think anyone is more Napalm Death than Barney.

17. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Jethro Tull are down to one... and his name isn't Jethro... :)

18. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Was going more off the fact it's kind of two different bands however this is accurate.

19. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Forum Resident

Last I heard, Petra is retired from recording. I think John Schiltt and Bob Hartman still do occasional shows as Petra, and also John goes out solo from time to time. Edited to add: Petra was first and foremost a ministry, so members came and went as they felt called to do.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Folknik likes this.
  20. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

10cc is now just Graham Gouldman and company, which includes Rick Fenn and Paul Burgess who joined the band in 1976, but they're still the new guys... ;)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Jarleboy likes this.
  21. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

He's also the least essential member of the band. (And they've done gigs without him recently, which is even more ridiculous). The fact that there's a new record coming out under that band name is a disgrace to the legacy.

t-man 54 and Instant Dharma like this.
  22. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah it may as well be the new Foreigner album.

bekayne and uzn007 like this.
  23. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Well technically Deep Purple.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  24. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident

The Hollies

goodiesguy and sewerdog like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.