What type of chair do you use to listen to music?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jsr, Aug 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jwest97

Jwest97 Bass Player for Luxury Furniture Store

I only use the finest dampened chair with brass plated feet that's lined with goose down, which has a density that is tuned to the resonant frequency of my pentagonal room. The cloth on the outside has a low enough thread count to allow for any standing waves to pass through it. The sound is much more transparent and has been the most substantial change to my system since I put that magic rock on the end table that opens up the sound stage of my system!

Dave Mac, arisinwind and weavzy like this.
  2. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I hear you! But I gotta say, the new sofa makes my a** look smaller!

Bananas&blow, Dave and SirMarc like this.
  3. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Poang chair (sans ottoman) for the office, then I spread out somewhere on the sectional in the HT room.

4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Cloth sofa.

5. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

We sit on a couch, feet up on a large table optional and are the pillows, libations and cuddles on those nights my wife joins me.

6. jsr

jsr Forum Resident Thread Starter

where can i get one :laugh:

7. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

I have a couch by them, much more recent, that is my horizontal headphone roost. Wife has a mission recliner....that is nice too.

8. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Another vote for the IKEA POÄNG armchair and footstool - with black leather. I use three of them in my main HT.

Elsewhere throughout the house (and various listening rooms) it's an assortment of comfy couches and loveseats.

In the back yard it's a variety of outdoor furniture - but when I really want to chill, I can lie down under the magnolia tree with the yard's Paradigm Rock Monitors (80-SM) playing.

On the front porch it's hand-crafted Muskoka chairs and a pair of Polk Audio Atrium 4 speakers.

Jeff

Aftermath likes this.
  9. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

I used to use an Ikea Poang as well and can recommend it. I now use a MR Lounge Armchair and also recommend it. Very comfortable and has a slight flexibility which allows me to slightly rock it like the Poang. But, it is very pricey.

[​IMG]

10. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

An extremely sturdy and comfortable leather club chair which I have had for over a decade.

11. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

this once restoration is complete...

[​IMG]

12. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson Senior Member

I used to use recliners but the back (where my ears were) was always too tall and it distorted the sound. Got a wide wood rocker with pads and an office stool on wheels for a footrest. No more distortion and comfortable for hours.

13. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

You are correct, but your room has ambience too which makes some recordings 3D and come alive, and that is why overly 'dampened' rooms sound like crap, unless you are trying to voice a speaker or get measurements.

apesfan likes this.
  14. A musical chair.

15. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

The old recliner is back in and all is well with the world lol

timind likes this.
  16. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

I too use a (fabric covered) recliner that is head height. I find this beneficial to partly stop rear wall reflections (I have lots of room treatment too).

I listen in a semi darkened room, sometimes with my eyes half or fully closed. This can lead to being half asleep when listening and then the music can send your mind wondering in all sorts of odd directions, which is usually pretty enjoyable.

apesfan, jsr and Clonesteak like this.
  17. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

A Real Knoll Bertioa Bird Chair

[​IMG]

18. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Anyway, everybody knows the Le Corbusier LC2 is the one and only chair for listening to real mono

[​IMG]

Evidence:

[​IMG]

19. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

I gave up the 'audiophile' game a few years ago and so I may not even be sitting while listening to music or in the house.

timind likes this.
  20. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I prefer damped rooms, let's me hear much more of what's on the recording. You get those micro details like when you wear headphones. Old jazz recordings sound amazing to me in my office that contains a lot of acoustic treatment. I can hear RVG's front room or the 30th St. Columbia studio without the smearing of my own room's sound.

But this is all off topic so I apologize.

Hipper likes this.
  21. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

[​IMG] Low back sectional with chaise and pull out ottoman. Storage under the chaise. The top row of attached pillows/ head rests folds flat.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. Hifi Kenny

Hifi Kenny Forum Resident

Poor headphones and listening position.

[​IMG]

apesfan likes this.
  23. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

But an earthshaking experience!

timind likes this.
  24. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

As Reg Presley would say..............I feel it in my fingers. I feel it in my toes.

All Down The Line likes this.
  25. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

Absolutely would get an Eames lounge chair if possible. Just plain classic! Had one in the house growing up. Very comfy and again, classic.

jsr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.