SACD ripping, Mac/Oppo. How, exactly?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gd0, May 15, 2017.

1. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Sometimes this can come from too long file names, especially on classical discs. It may help to put the iso file and the extracting software in a folder that's not itself buried in several other folders (and thus making the path name longer), like putting it directly on the first level of the hard drive the files are on (I hope that makes sense to you). But sometimes a path name can be just too long (S:\_Musik-Archiv_Klassik\Beethoven\Sinfonien (24-192) - Simon Rattle, Berliner Philharmoniker\Beethoven - Symphony No.6 (24-192)\05 - 5. Hirtengesang Wohltaetige, mit Dank an die Gottheit verbundene Gefuehle nach dem Sturm- Simon Rattle, Berliner Philharmoniker.flac).
    Were the discs you ripped before only stereo? And are you now maybe ripping stereo/multichannel hybrid discs? I noticed that some stereo only discs ectracted very fast, while most st/mch discs take much longer to extract, using much more processor power. If I'm not mistaken, the DSD signal on the latter kind uses another step of compression, which has to be de-compressed during extraction. That's why it takes longer and puts some strain on your computer. 10 minutes doesn't sound unusual to me.

2. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

You called it. It was multichannel that takes a lot longer. I let everything cool down and was able to successfully rip several more today.

tmtomh and wolfram like this.
  3. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

As others have said, SACDs with both a multi and stereo layer deploy DST compression. I also found that the process was substantially faster on a Windows machine vs. a Mac.

4. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

So I’ve encountered an issue. Elton john self titled ripped fine to iso. Extracted 2 channel iso to dsf fine. When extracting the multichannel dsf, it gets to track 5 then stops at 33%. I tried 3 times and it stops in the same place every time. Anyone know about this issue? Discs that extract stereo layer but can’t get all the way through the multichannel?

5. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Is the ISO complete? Are you ripping to a flash drive or over the network?

6. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

I have that title (if it's the 2004 mch hybrid; don't know if there's any other). Consistent with Kal's query, what is the size of the iso file you ripped? Also, if you have the means of computing the MD5 checksum for the file, what is it?

Thanks.

Doug

7. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Some smart people in this thread! :edthumbs:

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  8. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I was dealing with a partial iso file. I ripped it again and it was much larger so will see if there is still a problem. Thanks guys!

Doug_B, tmtomh and Craig like this.
  9. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Keep us posted!

10. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Seem to work now!

PhantomStranger and tmtomh like this.
  11. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

No longer working with my Mac with Sierra.
    I reinstalled the Java autoscript, and re-copied the correct files to a flash drive.
    The Oppo seems to respond correctly - the drawer slides out as it should. Then I push it back in.

But the Sonore software doesn't see the Oppo, despite my putting in the correct IP address for the Oppo.

I've rebooted the Oppo and Mac several times. Still no go.

Does this work with Sierra?

Anyone else have this issue?

12. Relevant

Relevant Well-Known Member

HOW TO FRY A PIONEER BDP 450!

This is my first post here, and not a happy one!

After checking so many pages of info and finding that Pioneer BDP 450 uses the same chipset of mediatek 8555 as Oppo 103, I decided to give it a try to rip through it.
    Everything worked till the stage of inserting the USB pen drive into BDP 450, the tray opened and sacd was loaded. Set not to autoplay, memory etc.,
    My lenovo pc with windows 10, firewall disabled, ran cmd commands.. Came back as libsacd not found etc.,
    After some more tries, it paused a bit and later I found that my BDP does not play anything other than CD and BDMV files
    Softwares used were Autoscript with sacd extract.

ISO2DSD did not work.

No DVD audio originals or remastered ones, No AVCHD, No Original SACD's or SACD-R's!
    Fully fried.., I guess the mediatek chip has been badgered out by sacd extract!

Well, I thought only the firmware (V 2.09) was corrupted, so downloaded V 2.19 and updated... No change!

Now the Pioneer BDP 450 is just a plain old CD player. It has served well for sometime already. R.I.P. BDP 450!

Now I am hunting for a BDP 170 and about to get one. Hope that can do better!
    There is also a new Pioneer BDP X300 available, wondering if it is the same as BDP 80FD

13. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Doubt that's a hardware issue.
    Firmware. Did you contact Pioneer or search online about re-setting the firmware?

tmtomh likes this.
  14. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I read Kal’s instructions in the latest Stereophile.
    Nice to to have in a place where I can read/keep it.
    But for me as a computer neophyte it all seems terribly complicated so please bear with me if I ask what are, for the experts, obvious questions.
    I’m not even clear if my existing gear (Mac Mini, Cambridge CXU) can do it without something else (software and/or hardware)
    And what is an “ISO” file?
    Once I have this file on a USB stick can I plug it directly into the Cambridge and play?

15. Many digital front-ends can play the ISO files. They play as SACDs with the right software. Not all players have ISO support, so I can't comment on the Cambridge.

16. Kal Rubinson

What I wrote was an overview in which I tried to convey the scope of the process. You need to follow the links for the details.
    The MacMini is OK but I have no hand's on experience with the CXU, so you need to follow the links for the details. :)
    It is the entire undecoded contents of the disc and ripping it is the first step. foobar, JRiver and some other players will play ISOs but most require that it be decoded to DFF or DSF files.
    I know nothing about the CXU but what file are you referring to?

17. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Thanks Kal,

Me finding the instructions complicated is more a statement of my lack of computer savvy than anything else :)

There is no specific file, I was speaking in general.
    Assuming I successfully create an ISO file onto a USB stick is anything else necessary to play it (other than to plug it into a DSD capable DAC).
    One of my best friends is a computer expert, this will all be ABC’s to him.
    I’m sure I can seek his help if I get into trouble

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  18. Sevoflurane

If you have an ISO from a ripped SACD then you either need software capable of playing the ISO or you need to convert it to a more easily playable format. ISO2DSD allows you to convert the ISO into different formats. I have my SACDs converted into separate DSF files and also DFF files (the whole album ripped as one file with a CUE file to show the track breaks). Both these formats can be played by my Oppo player, and Foobar and Decibel are both able to play these and output DoP to my Oppo USB DAC.

19. Kal Rubinson

Nope. See post below.

Yes but pretty specific to suit gapless playback on an Oppo.

Conversion to DSF is a more generally suitable procedure which is playable on any DSD-capable DAC.

PhantomStranger, gd0 and tmtomh like this.
  20. Sevoflurane

Agree 100%. While I do keep the DFF rips an a USB drive attached to my Oppo for precisely that reason (and many thanks to the SHF poster who suggested it) I use the DSF rips generally. As well as Foobar on my PC and Decibel on my Mac, the DSF files play, gapless, via my Oppo HA2 DAC from an iPhone and iPad running either Onkyo HF Player or Foobar. Additionally, my Sony NW A45 also plays these files (probably by converting back to PCM) as well.

I should have said that DSF files are the most widely supported format for DSD playback. I believe if one buys DSD downloads they tend to be in DSF, through I have only tried a few sampler files myself.

21. Kal Rubinson

Yes. I have also bought files in ISO and DFF forms but I convert them to DSF for storage/use.

22. Relevant

23. Relevant

I did contact the champions at Pioneer here.
    They are of the opinion that the Mediatek chip is on the blink as no Hi Res files or discs are recognized/played!
    Only CD and BDMV files are welcome on it. MKV does play through USB but all that would be on QDEO not Mediatek.
    Pioneer is yet to get back on availability of replacement processor.

I did find a BDP 170 which worked well with Autoscript, autoscropt.tss and sacd_extract_160 on bdp usb with ISO2DSD on PC's side.
    Quite smooth indeed. My quest to convert my SACD collection is answered!

24. Relevant

I got it done through Pioneer BDP 170
    The findings are:

1. Three files, Autoscript, Autoscript.tss and Sacd_extract_160 in autoscript (the only) folder on usb mounted on BDP 170.
    2. BDP set to: Autoplay-off, Last memory-off, HDMI control-off, Internet- cable LAN (not wireless),
    3. Win PC windows 10 set to:firewall- defender-off, anti virus-off, file sharing local-on etc.,
    4.connect to router through cable and check if BDP is recognised in networks. Note IP address
    5. Extract ISO2DSD to Desktop
    6. Turn off and turn on BDP 170 to LAN/router modem, insert usb with autoscript folder, turn on , tray shall open, insert sacd
    7. open ISO2DSD GUI, enter BDP's IP address (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.2002) as noted from network status window, use your choice of settings to extract.
    Q.E.D

Extract speed noted on Windows 10 pro, i3-7100 desktop

a. 2 channel speed ~ 3.0mb/sec
    b. Multichannel speed~ 2.5mb/sec
    c. RAW ISO speed ~ 3.0mb/sec

Speeds start low and gains about 50% over the next 5 minutes.

ALL THE EFFORTS OF GENIUS IN THESE PRESENTS HONESTLY ACKNOWLEDGED AND APPRECIATED!

wolfram and PhantomStranger like this.
  25. francisco gaston

francisco gaston Member

I have not expertise in this subject, but I did buy