Elvis Presley - So many albums - like an insane amount of albums!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

It might be a great album and recognized as such in some quarters, but - rightly or wrongly- most people won't think of it as being in the same class as Pet Sounds or Sgt. Pepper or Exile. I think that it would be held in higher esteem had it included Suspicious Minds and Kentucky Rain...just as Elvis Is Back! would be an undisputed, universally-acknowledged classic had it included It's Now Or Never, Are You Lonesome Tonight?, and even Stuck On You in place of its lesser tracks.

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Clearly there were exceptions, but typically, at the beginning of a session, Elvis was presented with stacks of songs submitted by his publishing entities, Felton Jarvis, and other associates. Elvis had little flexibility when it came to material, or at the very least, was resigned to recording from his submissions. While theoretically he was free to record songs of his interest, he generally worked with what was presented to him.

Songs like "Hey Jude" and "Don't Think Twice" were on Elvis' mind during their respective sessions and were laid down on tape, and neither were properly developed because the producer at each session was unprepared (at a minimum, there was no sheet music for Elvis follow lyrically). Moman placated Elvis and let him get "Hey Jude" out of his system before turning to the session's real work. Jarvis taped at least two long-winded jams of Elvis and the band jamming to "Don't Think Twice," but never attempted to arrange the song into anything workable. Later, out of desperation, Jarvis released both cuts commercially.

3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

While "That's The Way It Is" is generally respected among many Elvis enthusiasts, upon closer scrutiny, I think it contains a number of deficiencies. There is a noticeable drop in the overall quality of material in comparison to 1969, and no matter how hard Felton Jarvis tried to emulate the sound and feel of the American Sound recordings, he was unable to pull it off. He simply did not have the same musicians, studio, or in this case, Chips Moman to bring out Elvis' best (Elvis starts to over-sing on a number of recordings during the Nashville sessions). While the American Sound recordings had plenty of orchestral overdubs (some which Jarvis oversaw), the arrangements for the Nashville 1970 recordings moved much further toward a pedestrian, schmaltzy, MOR sound. That is not to say there are not some quality studio performances on the album, but the album is essentially saved by the live cuts. One suspects that an entire album of studio material would have been much closer to the abominable "Love Letters" LP that followed "That's The Way It Is." "Elvis Country" on the other hand is gem.

Tord and mark winstanley like this.
  4. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Yes, even his studio albums contained mostly songs that were either published by his companies OR the songwriters relinquished 1/3 (sometimes 1/2) of the publishing rights. That loosened up a bit in the mid 70s. Felton brought in a few songs through his connections that Elvis' publishing had no stake in. In some cases the publishing deal was finite. For example had Elvis not released One Night in time, he would have lost out on the publishing share.

mark winstanley likes this.
  5. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Elvis is one of those artists I can do with just a strong compilation like DCC's 24 Karat Hits.

6. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

If I were to get a handful of single discs, none of them would include only his hits, if any.

7. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

One of the best countrypolitan albums ever (IMO).

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  8. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Yes, Elvis Is Back should be considered a classic. As should Elvis Country. Amazing stuff.

9. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Very interesting that multiple people offer Elvis Is Back as a certified “classic”. I would have to say that even without those singles EIB is a classic. Maybe in my world, though. It’s a shame that Elvis’ singles weren’t included on the albums. Just one of many bizarre things that Colonel handled in a bizarre way.

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Not updated as in extra songs. Don't think it comes with the stamps.

11. alexpop

I like all the RCA Camden vinyl something iconic about those seventies album covers now.

MarkTheShark and mark winstanley like this.
  12. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

This list drives me nuts as far as his ranking are concerned. Elvis Is Back! and From Elvis In Memphis do not even make it in his top five albums of all time. The former album does not even make it in his top ten best albums ever. He has a slew of very average to decent soundtrack albums and compilations ahead of the very excellent Elvis Thats The Way It Is album. Oh, and the truly outstanding Elvis Country album cannot even make it higher than number 40 on his list. He gets a few things right near the top of the list, but a lot of these albums are not ranked accurately as far as I am concerned.

Revelator, MrSka57 and laf848 like this.
  13. alexpop

Odd.
    Maybe it reflects sales?

14. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I think the list just reflects the esthetics of the music critics that compiled the list. They seem to have a higher respect for the soundtrack material than many of his fans or more mainstream music critics do.

alexpop likes this.
  15. alexpop

Some deep cuts on the soundtrack albums. But ..not my EP list for sure.

Maybe there should be a Elvis Presley poll list.. here ..favourite albums. Be interesting? Lot of albums ..maybe leave comps out.

RSteven likes this.
  16. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Yes indeed, Skatterbrane started a great thread last year, My Top Ten Favorite Original Elvis Albums, I believe was the name of the thread.

alexpop likes this.
  17. alexpop

Locked no doubt.
    Top twenty LPs would be better choice.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    RSteven likes this.
  18. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

Are the Camdens in the 60CD box accurate in terms of the mixes and when a mono version of a song appears?

19. alexpop

Sixties cd box great, fifties box has a better cover.

20. alexpop

GI Blues - Soundtrack Deep Cut.
    Pocket Full Of Rainbows.

RSteven likes this.
  21. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I think it is still open for comments last time I checked. Yes, its funny but I remember some of us complaining that the list should have been top 15 or top 20 to make it a little easier, I mean I had to leave off some very good albums as I recall, like both of his Christmas albums if I remember correctly.

mark winstanley and alexpop like this.
  22. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Almost In Love and Let's Be Friends are the only accurate ones.

23. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

:( oh, thanks Claus. I don’t understand why they go from stereo to mono sometimes, I presumed it was just to mimic the original thrown together LPs, but C’mon Everybody from the 60CD box does it too.

24. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

C'mon Everybody and I Got Lucky were all mono on the original vinyl. The box contains stereo mixes except the Follow That Dream soundtrack where no stereo mixes exist for most of the songs.

BlueSpeedway and mark winstanley like this.
  25. alexpop

Time for another one. There's always a million Beatles threads. A Elvis thread ( one of two ) surely no probs.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.