How to get proper sound on headphones ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sa5150, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

Open cans should sound more airy and less closed off, more like speakers. Closed backs sound like headphones.

2. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

The DT150 with DT100 velour pads sound really neutral and good. Closed cans are good when you want really deep bass and when you wish not to disturb anyone around you. Open cans tend to leak bass below 100 Hz.

3. molinari

molinari Forum Resident

The advantage of open back cans is they reduce the coloration that occurs from an enclosure. They’re not intended for use in noisy places or where someone will hear you. If you search around, you’ll notice that most TOTL headphones are open back...

4. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I've been using Sony MDR V6's for both music listening (especially for bass response) and for digitally adding bass editing in Audacity '70's remastered CD rock/funk that should have bass but don't. I bought mine on Amazon for around $80. I listen and edit on my Mac Mini.

Whatever you're listening on if bass is your concern then test listening for extremely low frequency earthquake rumble 5 minutes in on this YouTube EDM song.

I can hear this rumble which spans 20Hz to 80Hz at -7db (measuring the aiff file in Audacity Spectrum Analysis) on my Sony's and Mac Mini. NO AMP! Flat EQ.

I also use the Mac Mini's volume control to test the quality of boosting volume on aiff files versus adding -6db using a Limiter. Maxing out the Mac's volume slider gets REALLY loud without distortion so I keep it in the middle which most of every piece of music on CD or on YouTube sounds comfortable except releases of new music which gets louder and louder.

You might check on your Denon amp for a SLA (Sound Level Adjust) setting for switching between radio receiver signal loudness vs component device signal if you think you have to raise the volume too much.

5. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

"Better" is a big word, but the most "open sounding" headphones I've heard have indeed been open. However, there are great closed-back and even in-ear models as well. Also check out Massdrop (others here can explain better, I'm not an expert) and used. Headphone drivers don't really wear out, though the bands and cups and such can, so you want something well cared for. Local used might let you listen with your own gear-so get your DAC/amp first, and THEN start evaluating headphones. This
    Monolith by Monoprice USB DAC - Monoprice.com
    also appears to be a very well designed DAC though I have not heard it nor seen reviews yet. Get something with 2 volt output, that is more flexible to drive high impedance headphones if that is what you end up liking the most. The DragonFly models are also very well designed though I have not heard them myself. Only the top model has high output (2.2 volts I think).

sa5150 likes this.
  6. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey guys way off topic and if there is a better thread or if I should start a new one let me know .

Next year my plan is and if all goes well with finances I want to finally put together a home theater system for movies and all of my music in one .
    My budget is about 10k for the equipment .

Oled is a huge on my wishlist .
    UHD universal player ,maybe a Oppo 205 if I can get one, not sure if I want to pay $1200 but it's a beast , even has a headphone jack . :)

For power and sources , I do not need a tuner and will not be using anything for vinyl .
    How about something like a integrated amp ? or do I need all separates for best sound quality ? I'm looking for something easy to use and install , I don't need something that has 100 connections .
    Speaker system I'm thinking 7.1 I guess should be enough .

Arcam is some sweet stuff but way out of my price range . How about Cambridge audio ,Nad or ,Rotel or Anthem . Marantz and Denon seem to have more problems then average and maybe that's why they always have huge sales on Crutchfield .

I don't stream music but do some tv .

7. Tim Lookingbill

What have you decided to do about your headphone situation?

8. sa5150

I looked at the Schiit , do I get a dac /headphone amp or a dac . not sure what to choose . There is a modi 2 for $100 and a Fulla 2 $100 . i would mainly use this on my tower dell desk top pc and try it on my Denon and Yamaha receivers . Ifi nano is about $200 . I don't need a dragon fly then , I do not travel with my music . Thanks for that info .

9. sa5150

I would never be able to get away with that , she would hear it and make me stop paying the music .

10. sa5150

I'm thinking of trying Beyerdynamic Dt-770 for there closed design . about $150 used and I can return if there don't work out ,I would like to go open cans but like I said not with he wife trying to sleep .I do a lot of playing after midnight and if she's work the next morning it ain't going to go over to well. Would the 32ohm work out better and no amp would be needed expecially on my pc or get the high ohm ones and get one of the dac amps , Either monoprice,schiit, or Ifi from the suggestions .
    Sony MDR1A and the Nad are option too .

11. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

Any particular reason why you are thinking of DT-770? This is a bit accentuated in bass and treble. The DT150 with DT-100 velour pads is a more neutral headphone.

12. sa5150

I was trying to stay with closed cans so no one can hear them in the house . There a great company and no particular reason other then there closed . I know nothing about what to get other then what suggestions the folks here are giving .
    The dt150 are up there at $200 .

Going through the Beyerdyamic websight I'm not finding home use closed cans . The Dt-880 would have been nice but there semi open . I may have to look at another brand .

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  13. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

So much truth in your comment here. The only headphones that I consider giant killers are the HD600/HD65o. And that's only if you pair them with a suitable amp and source. But when paired with a suitable amp and source the HD600 and HD650 are giant killers. The HD600/HD650 are the only headphones with a street price below $400 that I'd want to use to evaluate and enjoy amps in the $2000-$5000 range. The Massdrop HD6xx at $200 is a giant killer for headphones $800 and above when paired with a suitable amp and source. I'd rather listen to a HD6xx with a $2000-$3000 amp of my choice than a Focal Utopia ($4000) and a $200-$300 amp. I'm listening to a HD650 right now even though I've got more expensive headphones on hand. The HD650 manages to do some things better than those more expensive headphones. The HD650 is so nice to listen to. So unfatiguing with good amp and source. So revealing of true detail without hype.

I haven't found any sub $100 headphones that are giant killers. There are some that suck less than others. But there are none that rise to anything that I'd consider a giant killer. There are some that I've heard that claim to be giant killers, but when I listen to them I find them to be only mediocre and if you buy them blind expecting them to live up to their hype you've effectively wasted your money. All sub $100 headphones have faults that can't be overcome by EQ or heroic amplification and source. Most have worse faults than others. The few good $100-ish headphones just manage to have less egregious faults.

stanley00 likes this.
  14. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I have never liked their sound or their close cousins the V6.

15. sa5150

There all open . I need them closed ,or semi closed at least .

16. molinari

molinari Forum Resident

IMO this sums it up - that’s why I mentioned using Sonarworks with the 7506’s - or an EQ and customize the sound. I also have the the HD 600’s and they are an easy recommendation, but only if open back is possible. Otherwise, since you have the Sonys - try the free trial of Sonarworks or download a free EQ.

17. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

While the HD600/650 are nice, I actually prefer the DT150 with the DT100 velour pads. The HDs have better comfort, but I find the modded DT150 as better extended in the bass.

18. Tim Lookingbill

I'm confused by these statements. Maybe it's because I'm new here. You set up conditions such as the right amp with the right headphones that very few can realistically check out and then you attribute a subjective assessment with the word "mediocre" in describing sound quality with inexpensive amp/headphone combos which again know one can realistically check out. How is this helpful?

Can you please describe what is mediocre about the sound coming from less expensive headphones? I've never listened to $400+ headphones because there's none to be had where I live. I listen to a lot of different kinds of music and I hear all kinds of detail with sub $100 cans. What are you actually hearing with expensive amps and headphones?

19. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Mediocre in the context of any of the $100 headphones being a giant killer or outperforming their price point. There are some headphones like the Monoprice 8323 that get touted as being giant killers. They aren't. Not even close. They're $20 headphones and sound like it. The sound quality is rather poor given their hype. I'd consider them a waste of $20. Superlux headphones are another brand that get touted as being good inexpensive headphones. They're mediocre. The sound quality isn't that good. They're popular with people looking for a bargain. They don't out perform. Not a bargain in that context.

20. John Dyson

John Dyson Forum Resident

I used to have a pair of 7506s and they finally broke -- so I bought some 7510 (thinking that they might be better...not!!!) I ended up with a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 pro/80 ohm, and will be unlikely to choose another brand in the future. I use the phones both for technical listening and pleasure, and IMHO (and I really am humble), I should never have purchased anything but the Beyers. I MIGHT consider the DT990s in the future, but the 80ohm edition of the 770 works for so many applications. If I had my 'druthers, and had the correct set-up, I would have gone for 250ohm or 600ohm given my technical bent, but for the mix -- I am so happy with the DT770/80ohm pro. Again, I used to have MDR7506 -- still do, cable is bad, but cannot even tolerate them for 'quick listens.' I am BADLY spoiled by the Beyers. (I am not meaning to criticize those who do like the Sony headphones -- we all have different views and different perception -- I am only speaking from my own position.) I have also heard (from people who I really trust) that other brands are also good, like some of the Sennheisers, eg HD380? I think that I got it right?

John

21. JoshM

JoshM Forum Resident

If you need closed, then the 6XX/600/650 and Fidelio X2 are out. Therefore, my recommendation is definitely NAD HP50. Get yourself a Schiit Modi plus a Magni (or Vali) to use with your PC as a source, and you’ll be good to go.

sa5150 likes this.
  22. sa5150

I all ready returned the sonys .

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  23. sa5150

I have to find the NAD , I want to check those out for sure . how is the monoprice monolith ? It has a nice sabre ESS ES9018K2M chip . Is there once device I can use with my pc and receiver , just switch them when I need to ?

24. sa5150

I'm stuck between these ,
    Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7
    NAD NP50
    Beyerdynamic DT770

Sony MDR1a costing a bit more then the others , It sounds like it has more bass but accurate , I'm hoping to get some good bass ,clear mids and clear highs that don't sound piercing or distorted .

25. JoshM

JoshM Forum Resident

I owned the MSR7 and NAD HP50 at the same time, and the NAD won. MSR7 sounds thin by comparison, and construction is cheap compared to HP50. I also owned the DT770 and HP50 and the same time and once again preferred the HP50. However, I’ve never liked Boyers. They have a house sound (treble spike) that created a false sense of detail initially, but is ultimately fatiguing and messes up instrumental tonality, IMO.

As far as the Monolith, I don’t know anything about it. But if you’re going to go that route, just get the Dragonfly. Otherwise, I still think the Schiit stack is your best bet, with one of th iFi models being another good choice.

sa5150 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.