The life of a record is only 40 to 50 plays?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by vwestlife, Aug 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

The experience with your 1900 and Lionel mimic mine, great sounding album :cheers:
    I've had my 1900 for about 8 years now, been an absolute joy :)

vwestlife likes this.
  2. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

It is.......You can send me your collection, I'll take it off your hands.
    :righton:

George Blair and c-eling like this.
  3. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

When my records were new I could discern the sound of music buried somewhere in the normal crackling campfire noise. As the grooves wore out (6-10 plays), the music devolved into long, howling demonic like wails punctuated by screeches. I read that beer or pot allows the brain to resurrect the worn / missing musical information. By god it works; my records became dead quiet with full high grade sound quality. So while the premise of the the thread may be true, drug use solves the problem.

4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Whatever it takes.

Rolltide likes this.
  5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Fam, if it were possible to smoke the surface noise off of records, I'd have the quietest vinyl on Earth. Sadly...

elvisizer and Livewire91 like this.
  6. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident Thread Starter

In the really old days, the solution to a worn-out record was to listen in the next room over, or put the phonograph at the top of the stairs and listen to it one floor below. The noisy high frequencies would reflect back and get lost along the way, while the lower frequencies would come through.

Leonthepro, H8SLKC and Livewire91 like this.
  7. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

What if people who owned changers had evidence otherwise?

8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

What if monkeys fly out of my butt?

Leonthepro likes this.
  9. Carl Swanson

That would hurt you and stink up the monkeys.

So . . . no logical reply.

10. Livewire91

Livewire91 Mammagamma Member

Maybe someone used a butler as a *Changer*

Rolltide and Dennis0675 like this.
  11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It’s tough to respond with logic to an illogical question. Changers were hard on records, hence the affdormentioned RCA add to help solve that problem. How is that for logic?

12. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

That was back in the 70's...

Later, when the industry changed from vinyl to "vinyls", then the life expectancy increased dramatically... due to all of the extra vinyls required.... ;)

13. Carl Swanson

Beats heck out of butt-monkeys.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  14. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

Dennis0675 likes this.
  15. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom Lodger

Well I don't have any monkeys, however I do have one of these ADC cartridges and it sounds great on well-worn and new LPs.

vwestlife likes this.
  16. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

I thoroughly enjoyed this presentation. :cool: It has not convinced me otherwise, as the consensus agrees with my 40+ years of experience. But sometimes we get lucky. Back in the ol' 2000's at our local Goodwill super store, there was a brief time that pristine collections were showing up like mad, still in shrink, looking like the day they were purchased. I grabbed all I could, since I knew this would not last forever. The hunt is still fun, because you never know what may turn up.

Records from the 80's era are relatively easier to find in great shape. Also easy listening titles are much easier to find, Barbara Streisand, Paul Anka, Lionel Richie, The Living Strings :rolleyes:

BTW pulling the record out of the sleeve by the edge may appear respectful, but this is still very wrong. Reach IN the sleeve with your hand.. all the way to the record label. (reaching in will not harm the sleeve) Grasp the record by the standard "one handed" method (two fingers on the label and the edge resting against the thumb and fleshy base of the thumb) With your other hand, pinch (hold on) the far side of the sleeve, tip the inner sleeve UP at about a 70 degree angle with record still inside. Allow gravity assist, so the record will literally fall out of the inner sleeve. (hand on label and edge) This also prevents sleeve scuffing on the surface. With a little practice, this becomes one smooth motion. To insert, allow the sleeve to "fall" on the record... never any struggle by this method.

edit: the best sounding record of the bunch imo is the Command demonstration record!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Leonthepro and tin ears like this.
  17. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident Thread Starter

This RCA Victor documentary film on how records are made showed a new record being pulled out of the sleeve by pinching the edge and played on a record changer.

Oh the horror! How very wrong! :cussing:

The FRiNgE, H8SLKC and Livewire91 like this.
  18. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

She could burn my eggs and bacon and I'd find no fault with her!

H8SLKC likes this.
  19. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I typically say 1000 plays if you have good equipment. There are even youtube videos where mediocre gear is used and even after 100 plays its basically identical.

vwestlife, Livewire91 and 5-String like this.
  20. Leonthepro

Im quite sure there is basically no difference.

H8SLKC and 5-String like this.
  21. Livewire91

Livewire91 Mammagamma Member

vwestlife told me that the more you play with a stylus repeatedly, the more it heats up. Like for imagine 4-12hours straight. That makes perfect sense. Now if you do it on the same record for that time, the grooves will heat up a bit too? So that will damage it even more. vwestlife had a good explanation to this.

22. Leonthepro

Thanks for doing a test for us!

23. Leonthepro

The heat generated from the stylus in the groove can be very hot indeed. But the average record is 40 minutes long so the groove area basically has that long to cool down, which is for sure long enough.
    The stylus will heat up but again the short amount of time it stays in 1 spot makes it basically negligable.

People who leave their records on over night accidentally, having the stylus play in the run out groove over and over dont find their records molten down in the morning.

That would be funny though, someone should sell a Stylus Cooling Gadget that should be used to cool down the stylus after every track you play. Trust us guys, it will sound better and cause less wear, only $999.99 ;^)

Livewire91 likes this.
  24. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Its like driving a car on nice spring day: notice how hot & melty your tires get from the friction with the road! Ever notice how you could easily fry an egg on your tires tread after driving your car a bit? Its amazing. Thats why you never want to touch a tire after driving.....instant burn of skin.

25. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I pay ZERO attention to marketing.

GroovyVinylDood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.