My wish for a new Whitney Houston album.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave112, Aug 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have been a fan of Whitney Houston ever since I first heard her on the radio back in the 80's. Now that she's gone, I've been wishing for a new album of many of her best songs. Not a greatest hits compilation but a new album. I wish someone could take her vocals and remaster them with great backing music. My only complaint with her early recordings is the anemic music that is backing her powerful vocals. As time passes, the music seems weaker with each passing year. A guy can dream. Does anyone else agree?

Vinyl_Blues and Osato like this.
  2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I imagine one day we'll get one of those "Whitney Houston And The Philharmonic Orchestra" albums. Beyond that I don't know what else you could really do with her vocals.

3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

You mean like they did with Elvis and the Philharmonic?

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yup. They've done it with other acts, too.

5. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Did she not record a lot of material that never made it to the final albums? Surprised after seven years there hasn't been vault material unleashed like with Jackson, Prince and Bowie

6. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Elvis, Roy Orbison etc.

7. Dave112

That is one direction but I was thinking more along the lines of an accompaniment by a top notch blues/soul band.

8. Troy4

Troy4 Forum Resident

Cant see that happening mainly because of her style of music and vocals.

9. Troy4

Troy4 Forum Resident

The Carpenters is the latest.
    [​IMG]

10. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

No, I can't say I agree.

11. Dave112

I have to disagree. Not every song would work but I can think of a few that clever arrangements could do wonders. Her voice was soulful but those over the top 1980s synths do not do her justice.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  12. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I agree with the OP. It would be great to have a really good live album or a gospel/church recording if one exists. Something like Aretha’s Amazing Grace album. Whitney had a great voice but the albums sound more dated now in my view because of the 80s production qualities. Of course the intent at the time by her label was to make her a pop star - which she achieved hugely - but her voice deserved better. Aretha’s mid to late 60s recordings in contrast remain timeless.

Vinyl_Blues and Dave112 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.