Hi Fi Shops in the Denver, LA and San Diego area

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheVinylAddict, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Nice! I guess retirement didn’t sit well with him. What’s the name of it?

Ulises and TheVinylAddict like this.
  2. I'll second Brooks Berdan in Monrovia. Always enjoyable. Great gear, knowledgeable Staff.
    Used to go to a couple of other places in LA in SD area that have closed in the last couple of years.:(

3. Soundsense

Soundsense Forum Resident

I have not been there yet, nor do I know the name....he shares space with a vintage book seller. I believe his phone number has not changed.

Ulises likes this.
  4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

Perhaps that's "Recycled Records" on Hover Street? If you're looking for vinyl in Boulder there's also Bart's.

Ulises likes this.
  5. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

As a matter of fact, Bruce does have a pair of Revel F208s for demonstration. I bought a pair of the F206 from him. I would have picked up the F208s, but I don't have the space for them.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  6. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for that.... I thought I asked him that last time I spoke with, but clearly I did not recall correctly :)....

That is great news, that means he has both the Vandy 2ce and 3a, and the F208, two that I want to hear side by side!

hi_watt likes this.
  7. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I just bought a pair of 3A's from Audio Alternative in Ft. Collins. He's a Vandersteen dealer.

8. macster

macster Forum Resident

Let us know when you are going to Stereo Unlimited, we may be able to "meet up'.

Just a thought.

M~

9. TheVinylAddict

PM Sent :)

T~

10. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

If you get a chance PM me. I would like to discuss my recent Vandersteen purchase with you.

11. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

You're welcome! I stopped by there earlier today, and saw that the Revels were still there. Good luck on the speaker auditioning!

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  12. landru64

landru64 New Member

Audio Element for sure.

13. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

14. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

Another long-term store, recommended for used vinyl (if you're up for a drive) is Black & Read on Wadsworth in Arvada - a bit south from Broomfield but worth it.

clhboa and JimSpark like this.
  15. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Looking for some Goldenear Triton two plus possibly or Triton One.R. The website for Stereo Unlimited says they carry GE .. I wonder if they have GE speakers demoed.. ? I am in the SD area and read great reviews about Stereo Unlimited .......

16. TheVinylAddict

Call SU in SD and talk to Bruce (the owner) - great guy, has a lot of gear set up too. Not sure about the Tritons, but wouldn't be surprised if he could accommodate.

@macster lives in the area too and works with SU a lot, so maybe he knows.

MikeJedi likes this.
  17. John Mee

John Mee Forum Resident

I am surprised nobody had mentioned @Warren Jarrett of the Audio Home in Fullerton who is a valued resource on this forum

Done A Ton and Encore like this.
  18. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Talked to Bruce!! I came in Very very nice and knowledgeable and he even asked my wife what she thought (don’t get that much ever that I remember in some of these shops ! Lol). GREAt shop. I bought some records too. Listened to the One.R and two plus. Wife and I agreed the One.R was amazing. Better than I thought it would be. Two plus very impressive for a smaller tower. But the wife and I agreed for a soginificant upgrade over Mr Gross designed def Tech Bp7002 bipolar pair that we own the One R seemed like it would fit our bill. Couldn’t beleive I would ever hear a speaker that is not bipolar sound just like my bipolars and sound way better. !!!Sandy is a great engineer. Bruce and I talked a bit about him. I will make a point of coming back to Bruce to buy when we get in our new house to upgrade my speakers. The only change I might make is maybe a bigger Parasound amp than what I have now but my A52 is pretty well rated but I know the One.R likes more power but doesn’t necessarily have to have it. It depends I suppose. Plus when I pull the trigger will get the matching Ref center and Aon surrounds. Will keep my Trinity as it will be perfect for the OneR. Our new living space will be a bit bigger at 15 by 18. 10 foot ceilings. Anyway great store and great owner. Thanks for the info !!!

Kurt RUhlin and TheVinylAddict like this.
  19. TheVinylAddict

Very cool.

I am of the opinion that every city these days needs a shop like Stereo Unlimited, and moreover the industry needs more owners like Bruce! :) I agree, great shop...........

BTW, I still have two pairs of older Def Techs in my secondary settup (in my woodshop and in my sons' HT) that are bipolar, and I have always liked them too...... placement of course is critical, but once you get it right.....

MikeJedi likes this.
  20. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

@TheVinylAddict, I hope you will come and visit me in Fullerton. I am about 1/2 between Upland (Upscale Audio) and downtown Los Angeles, in Fullerton, a few miles south on Fullerton Road (changes name to Harbor Blvd) from the 60 freeway. I would like to sit you down in front of Steve Hoffman's $95000/pair AN Ginrei amps, and his $25000/pair AN/E AlNiCo speakers, to hear what he has been hearing for the past year. Compare that system to an AN system about 25% of that price, and to my almost-all-made-in-USA reference system (Theil/ARC/Conrad-Johnson/Levinson/VPI), in which I sell nothing it is composed of... Not to buy anything, of even sell you on Audio Note, but just to enjoy some music together, maybe a snack and a drink, and listen to your opinion about what you hear here... Here, Here! I think The Audio Home is an audio destination in itself, not to be missed. Take a look at my website, www.TheAudioHome.com, to see the environment and the equipment you'll miss if you don't stop by.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  21. TheVinylAddict

Warren, thank you very much for the invite, and I would love to come and visit!! I have seen the website too - in addition to various members here who have referenced it.

One thing - note this is a resurrected thread from LAST August - I was out your way a year ago. In fact, this was the trip where I found my vaunted NS-2000 speakers on Craigslist from a seller up in Valencia!

But I should be getting back up that way very soon, and will definitely plan on stopping in for a visit and checking out the wares!! BTW, thanks for the cartridges - they are working out great..... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.