‘Once Upon A Time In Hollywood’ Tarantino's Next

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Olompali, Mar 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Mother F Dinner ....:D

Lightworker likes this.
  2. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Squeamish...."he don't know me very well do he?":p

As long as movie is good I got no problem with violence (within reason).

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

You love this movie! Good for you. I thought it was really good up towards the surprise, then it became too Looney Tunes.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  4. alexpop

Surprise?

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Hitchhiking -- turned down ride in Ferrari -- driven by Sharon Tate -- boy, is he silly. I would have gotten in if it was going the wrong direction.

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think I remember you praising it.

alexpop likes this.
  7. alexpop

I do a lot of praising, true. :D

8. alexpop

Up around the bend.

Ghostworld likes this.
  9. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Polanski was into sharing her, but from what I read it turned really abusive. Such a screwed up situation all the way around. Dude makes good movies though.

10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I

I’m sure you’re not hyper critical, but you do have a certain level of taste that is very refined and excellently formed. I respect that and you’re also not afraid to say if you don’t like things and I respect that even more!

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Wild man. Those swinging sixties.

alexpop likes this.
  12. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

I understand, but I think Hateful 8 was all around fantastic with a great cast. Goggins I felt, was the best edition to the whole movie. He definitely stood out to me, no question. I will laugh thinking about some of his scenes.

13. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

As I stated before, I agree with you about Goggins. That is an example of a cut above vs phoning it in.

Mr. Grieves and Ghostworld like this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Goggins was excellent. I though Kurt Russell did a damn fine job. I love Jennifer Jason Lee and she was great (if a little beat lookin'!). Samuel Jackson was his dependable very good. But I agree: I don't know where Tim Roth was coming from with his performance and some of the extras were just awful (the guy with the Mexican accent, the coach driver) and I also though Michael Madsen brought nothing new to his part. I usually watch the first half and then quit around the time the "bad coffee" starts.

Who is that actor with Leonardo di Caprio (wow, that guy is slick looking, di caprio, I mean. He just keeps getting better looking).

alexpop likes this.
  15. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

The Mexican was actually one of the top most believable charcters to me.

For Samuel Jackson, that is the problem...he was too dependable and one note. Compared to Jackie Brown, it just didn't bring anything new at all, and practically monotone for him, which is flat out weird. Kurt Russell was fine, and I rather enjoyed him. My points about him not being the greatest lead doesn't mean he at least brought something to the movie.

Lee was absolutely awesome.

16. alexpop

Bob "Mexican accent "Demian Bichir.
    He had the funniest role ( well I laughed). Michael Madsen was understated and I found his small cowboy hat amusing. Loved the Kurt character John Ruth telling him to hand his gun over..Madsen aka Joe Gage face was priceless.

17. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

i'd love to see tarantino work with cruise.

18. alexpop

Perhaps other film work, time constraints didn't make this happen ( Top Gun 2)or the questionable film's subject matter ie Charlie Manson /Tate murders ( that was understood last year)put Cruise of. Maybe they team up on Tarantino's last film.

19. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Brad Pitt is a very good actor. He was great in Basterds and True Romance. He has so much awesome work, each to his own.

As for Cruise, he did Magnolia when P.T. Anderson was not even established. Cruise was hot stuff back then commanding roles like working with Kubrick. I would think if a role fits, he would take it without question.

Brad Pitt playing a hollywood stund man with Di Caprio is like Pacino and De Niro together in Heat...what is weird to me is that they are not all that different in age in comparison! Man I am getting old.

20. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

i'd like to see tarantino adapt charles willeford's "the shark-infested custard," w/ cruise in the lead...i know, it'll never happen. fun for a momentary day-dream though.

21. alexpop

If there's not there's always
    CGI in other words S O R T E D. :D

22. alexpop

Not impossible he did Jackie Brown, based on Rum Punch by Elmore Leonard.

23. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Fair point about Jackson, this is an incredibly comfortable role for him and considering how mimu they work together, I wouldn't be surprised if Quentin made it specifically for him. All that said, still loved seeing him(I'm a big fan what can I say) and he served the role well. A character in which you never really know what they're thinking, or what they know. He plays that stuff easily. Also, I always considered him the lead not Kurt, or at least he felt more like it to me, but Kurt was great nonetheless. Another stand out

24. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Yeah the more I think about it I agree. Believe it or not picking the movie apart character by character that is why I kinda forgot him...which ain't good.

I don't doubt the Tarantino enamoring which is a big problem for him. A good director will bring out the absolute best and stretch their abilities. Kubrick, ass that he could be, treated it like the business that it was ....though Nicholson ass kissing did happen if you believe the stories.

Still friends are friends and even second rate Sam is still darn fun to watch as was the whole movie (well eventually for me.. took repeated views).

Now the "dingus" story part. Can you imagine how more successful it could have been if for once it was held back instead of doing a hack Pulp Fiction "furious anger" bit?

Getting back to this movie, the one thing that scares me, it feels like a complete cluster f of actors that I can't imagine getting their proper time.

Mr. Grieves likes this.
  25. But I think not because of directors themselves but for the projects they are offered. There has to be talented people.

Lightworker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.