BlackkKlansman (new Spike Lee film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by townsend, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. townsend

townsend Senior Member Thread Starter

I know we have to be careful with trailers, but Spike Lee is usually a solid film maker, and this looks to be a funny "black comedy" (pun intended):

2. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

This is the first I've heard of it,sort of a docudrama look at racism with some humor,we'll see how it plays out.

3. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I’m looking forward to this.

4. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I don't like most of his films, but this one looks like fun.

Ghostworld likes this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Agreed. It looks like straight-forward entertainment and pretty damn good. I bet this is his biggest hit in many years. And I'll watch anything with Adam Driver!

GodShifter, townsend and ampmods like this.
  6. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

It was introduced at Cannes.

7. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Tremendous reviews for this (currently 97% Rotten Tomatoes). I’ll be catching it this weekend along with Mission: Impossible.

8. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Yes, this is definitely in my plans for this weekend. Do The Right Thing is one of my favorite films, and reviews are saying BlackkKlansman is right up there.

agaraffa, Robert C and Grant like this.
  9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

There are already certain groups who are trying to destroy the movie before it's even released.

10. I hope so. It’s an interesting - and fundamentally true - story, and I hope Lee doesn’t cock it up.

ampmods likes this.
  11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Dissapointed with the trailer.
    Great premise though, and true story

12. Grant

I wish it weren't set as a comedy, but I guess that's the only way to get people to watch this, I guess.

PHILLYQ likes this.
  13. alexpop

Think it's going to be a commercial success for Spike Lee.

Grant likes this.
  14. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I saw this today and was blown away. I would give it 10 stars!

I’m not sure how much discussion of this film can happen here, but those of you looking for a fun comedy are barking up the wrong tree. There are hilarious moments, but I spent more time sitting on the edge of my seat with my hand over my mouth than I did laughing.

Film of the year so far for me.

Old Rusty, chodad, mds and 5 others like this.
  15. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I saw this earlier and really liked it. It's less funny and more political than the trailers suggest, but anyone familiar with Spike Lee's reputation shouldn't be too surprised. Don't get me wrong, it still had some very funny moments of dark comedy, but that wasn't the bulk of the film. It is a crime/police drama first and foremost, and it fully succeeds at that, while also injecting moments of the aforementioned comedy and social commentary. I definitely recommend it to anyone interested in this kind of film.

16. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I was psyched for a viewing this weekend.
    Unfortunately, our burgh is not "A-list", as it's not screening now.
    The closest that has it opening this weekend is in Oakville ON, about a forty-five minute drive from here.
    Patience, patience...

17. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I just got out of the movie. It was fantastic, and the ending packed a huge punch. Spike hit this one out of the park.

Old Rusty, smilin ed, Grant and 2 others like this.
  18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I agree that the ending packed a punch, but I think the rest of the movie falters.

I think this is more of an idea for a film than a full-fledged narrative. It's a great concept, but as executed, it doesn't really go anywhere especially interesting.

Part - much? - of the problem is that unlike Lee's best movies, this one has no "room for discussion". When you left "Do the Right Thing", you could debate various scenes and viewpoints and actions for hours.

What perspectives can you take here? It's "racists bad" and nothing else.

And racists are bad, but Lee really dropped the ball in terms of what he could've done with the subject, especially as he looks at two issues: Ron's integration into the police department and the actions of the black activists.

Outside of one bad apple racist cop, there's nothing interesting about Ron's entry into the department. The rest of the guys accept him quickly and he rises through the ranks.

As for the activists, they exist mainly so Lee can give us a history lesson. The Kwame Ture scene goes on forever, just because Lee wants to produce the long speech - and show endless shots of adoring acolytes. The scene serves literally no dramatic purpose.

The same goes for the sequence with Jerome Turner. The movie grinds to a halt to show us the damage done by racists.

Important to remember? Certainly, but it doesn't work for the film. It sends the movie off onto its own tangent just so Lee can play "educator".

It's really preaching to the choir. Even if someone KKK-sympathetic sees the film, it won't change their minds. We never get any insights into what pushed these people to the "White Power" side of the street - they're treated as cartoon bigots with nothing new to say.

Yes, Lee reminds us that racism remains alive in 2018 - but the evening news does the same thing. Lee doesn't unearth any hidden secrets that will shock anyone - we see racism at the highest levels of government these days, so we don't get insights there.

The footage from Charlottesville at the end offers an undeniable kick in the gut - and seeing it on the one-year anniversary adds to the impact.

Unfortunately, nothing Lee generates in the rest of the film comes even close to that level of impact. This becomes an unfocused narrative that lacks depth or real development. It's a disappointment that becomes a missed opportunity to create something truly insightful in terms of race relations...

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

love Spike...must see this. Do The Right Thing was brilliant.

Grant likes this.
  20. Grant

I was going to see it tonight, but I am too exhausted from work. Maybe i'll go see it tomorrow.

21. Grant

Not to invite thread drift on a topic that makes a lot of people uncomfortable, but, on this day of the first anniversary of the Charlottesville riot and murder, there are reports of new studies that try to get to the heart of why.

22. Of course, the chances of getting anything insightful from the likes of Lee were slim; I was hoping for something that would at least be competent and entertaining, but it sounds like just another didactic hack job.

goodiesguy likes this.
  23. Grant

I like Spike Lee, and his ability to tell a story, but he too often fails in meaningful character study. He doesn't get too deep. He also comes from a specific perspective that, I think, doesn't really allow him the ability to delve into a character's psyche. He expects the audience to fill in the blanks, but that audience may not come up with the same analysis he does.

IronWaffle likes this.
  24. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

Oh geez, this is what I was afraid of. Another preachy Spike Lee product.

goodiesguy and Rasputin like this.
  25. alexpop

Spike Lee is doing a superhero movie, Nightwatch (in production development).

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.