New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I'm sensing a belated groundswell of @Sean Murdock fan euphoria for all the various B sides from Paul's albums.
    :D

Sean, you might want to copyright the expression fan euphoria, because I'm going to try to work it into every post I make from now on. :p ;)

2. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

"Why So Blue" is my favorite track on the Memory Almost Full deluxe... How it didn't make the cut is beyond me!

3. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

And, along with "Why so blue" and all the Off the ground b-sides you guys mentioned, I bring to you "Comfort of love", another song that should have been more than a b-side.

Loup, Dr. Pepper, theMess and 3 others like this.
  4. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

...and "This Loving Game":

5. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

6. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I FORGOT ABOUT THIS ONE. My favorite McCartney b-side of the 90s-now

theMess and Darrin L. like this.
  7. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Good B-Sides are good but best B-Sides are best...

8. This was released as part of a charity project, but was recorded during the Flaming Pie sessions.

It’s one of my all time favorite Macca songs , from any era, would not mind having it included on any Macca album, be it a new one or part of a Macca Project Box.

WHOLE LIFE

9. KirkK

KirkK Senior Member

It came out in 2005 though :)

theMess and Mr. Explorer like this.
  10. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Great... :sigh:

11. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Is fan euphoria better tha Fuh euphoria.
    I don t know
    :)

theMess and Mr. Explorer like this.
  12. Glenn Christense

Being serious for a moment, I hope we all aren't placing unrealistic expectations on this album.

We are all so jazzed about it that I hope we aren't setting ourselves up for a big letdown .

Boognish, omikron, theMess and 3 others like this.
  13. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I try not to have to much expectations.. If the album will have a few great Macca-moments that makes me smile Im fine with that.
    If it s a real masterpiece-well it would be great but I really don t think so
    Hopefully it will be good enough
    The lyrics of Happy with you and the gorgeous cover made me a bit more hopeful
    We ll see

14. Glenn Christense

I try not to have that high of expectations either but this thread and the posts in it make it hard to keep a balanced perspective .

I'm about as bad as everyone else of course but I don't obsess over trying to find endless "clues"about the release or dying that we don't have a tracklist yet, etc.

The problem is, I really enjoy the thread but visiting this thread is kind of like a recovering alcoholic going to a bar with his old, still drinking buddies .
    In the long run, it might not be the best idea. :D

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  15. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I generally think it s fun. Crazy but fun. Apart from visiting this thread I don t spend any times lookin for clues,news or anything.
    In this case the road might be as much dun than the goal
    After all it s just an album.
    The two songs prewiewed gives me hope both that the songs will be all right and the production/ arrangements to
    This Fuh you song might be a crucial thing. I expect both a more modern production and some naughty lyrics. Im fine with that-Ryan Tedder is a very gifted man but in all honesty there are folks here who think all new music(defined from 1980) and onwards sucks.
    My oldest son works professionally within the Hip hop field and I know they work and sweat in the studio just like any other to get things right.
    Lookin back at the Beatles I guess we can be happy Paul always have been so open minded about trying new things in the studio.
    So as long as it s a catchy song I don t mind some modern sounds and beats

jlf, Elliottmarx, flsteve565 and 2 others like this.
  16. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

Have you heard the faster version of Winedark Open Sea he used to do at soundchecks? I think I prefer it to the original.

17. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

As a huge hip hop fan this intrigues me, is he working with any big American names?

18. Glenn Christense

As long as Egypt Station is in the same quality league as all of his albums from Flaming Pie onward, I'm good.

Anything better than those albums would be a very pleasant bonus.

Even if Egypt Station turned out to be the dog of all dogs I have plenty of other Paul McCartney music that I love to listen to. So, it would be disappointing but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

We can just start the conjecture about his next album due in...2023. :D

And.. in 2023 we will grouse about how lousy his vocals are compared to the good old days of 2018. ;)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  19. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

No! Is it on YouTube?

20. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Agree-and even if Egypt Station won t be the second coming of Sergeant Pepper or Band on the run I'm confident it won t be the dog of all dogs either. Perhaps it will be as good as NEW.
    That s more than enough for me
    His vocals is what it is these days-he still can hold a note so that doesn t bother me. Actually I think he pulls out the two released songs pretty good. But Im sure some people around here(no names mentioned) keep their knifes sharpened to cut into that. My aproach is generally more positive. There should be room for all of us here I guess

JDeanB, Elliottmarx, Zeki and 4 others like this.
  21. vegard martinsen

vegard martinsen Forum Resident

I have always liked this song!!!

theMess and Paperback Writer like this.
  22. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I hear you. I have pretty high expectations, I admit, but I don't think they're unrealistic. It's been five years since NEW, and Paul has clearly put a lot of effort into this. I think at this point in his career and life, a new McCartney album is almost "too big to fail" -- meaning, we're not going to get any tossed-off misfires like [insert your own least favorite album here]. And his track record in the past 20+ years is very good.

23. I have no worries about how this album turns out - I’ll bet is is slightly less than - or slightly better than NEW.

I used to worry that some of the modern production could ruin his music - but NEW proved me wrong. (Plus we have the 2 singles as proof, along with eye-witness reports to a couple of other songs).

I’ve now realized McCartney Music overwhelms every other element a song may contain.
    Like large amounts of chocolate mixed with other ingredients- no matter what - and how it is mixed- it’s still tastes like chocolate.

McCartney is like chocolate!

24. Mkirk

Mkirk Forum Resident

Perhaps it will sound a bit soft but at this point it would be impossible for me to be disappointed because I am happy there is another album no matter what it's like, for me another album is a real treat. Paul McCartney's music is my earliest and my first musical memory. He has been in the background of my entire life. In the car being taken to day-care Ram was on the radio-cassette player. In the living room I'd play with my blocks while Abbey Rd played.

When I got my first guitar and started lessons one of the first songs I was taught to play was Mull of Kintyre (it's real easy) and Obladi Oblada soon after. I hear him in the background at supermarkets, the local pub, airport transit lounges. You name it - he's here, there and everywhere. I have taken the time to dig around in his catalogue and there is so much I love and a chunk that leaves me cold but it's always interesting. It's an incredible body of work. It's for those of us born audio-brained a real staple to our diet and so it really is enough for me and interesting enough for me - that there be more. I feel quite blessed that the journey with this artist continues.

25. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Amen to that

theMess, flsteve565 and Mkirk like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.