Visions of Johanna lyrics

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ernold, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ernold

Ernold Look up the number Thread Starter

What is this great song about, in your opinion?

And, surely, it's "seems like veneer", not "seems like the mirror"?!

bataclan2002 likes this.
  2. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

It can't be tied down to one particular meaning: its creator's explanation (which we'll never hear) is only as good as your own.

I'd agree about 'seems like veneer', which is a stronger image than the (official) 'mirror'.

Ernold likes this.
  3. Regandron

Regandron Forum Resident

As the man almost said.. it is about 7 minutes, although some live versions can be about 9 minutes.

DeeThomaz and notesfrom like this.
  4. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Too cryptic

5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

It's not about anything

6. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

carville and Ernold like this.
  7. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

The malaise and fog of love taking over and clouding one’s whole being.

8. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

This is often my favourite Dylan song and lyric.

Fun fact: in Steely Dan's 'Dr Wu', the line 'all night long, we would sing that stupid song, and every word we sang I knew was true', the 'stupid song' is supposedly none other than 'Visions of Johanna'.

Phil Tate and bataclan2002 like this.
  9. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

And it seems a rival is involved, a love triangle, and possibly even some non-monogamy on the author’s own part as well or at least the sense that he’s been there or identifies which also contributes to the fog of thoughts.

Mr. D likes this.
  10. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

It's about what you get, with Bob's greatest tune....

Lewisboogie likes this.
  11. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Someone named Joan.

Johanna.

Hidden in plain sight.

12. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

It just sucks you in to a universe of Bob's creation......somehow he makes you live every detail.....and even when he's absurd it doesn't stand out so much or seem forced or contrived......just a little comic relief in a cinematic experience (and it never gets old, I've surely heard it hundreds of times).
    Sort of like Lennon's I am the Walrus......he makes his own logic and then makes his logic compelling (even when it's absurdist), memorable, fluid.....it always sounds like it was just created right before your hearing it. Neither song really needs a great melody, it would get in the way.....the music/track is secondary but adds the perfect ambiance.....

DeeThomaz likes this.
  13. baconbadge

baconbadge Chooglin’

Pretty sure it's about Bob being upset that someone threw a glass in the street. Not that he CARES who did it, he just wants to KNOW who did it. And the last verse is about borrowing a dustpan and cleaning up said glass.

14. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Def. late night music

15. goodpickins

goodpickins Well-Known Member

Always loved the lyrics and the song but never came up with much searching them for meaning. That's true of most of my favourite Dylan stuff except for the first few albums which were pretty straightforward. I remember as a teenager reading the liner notes on 61, and bringing it all back home and I think freewheelin (memories a little foggy) searching for meaning like everyone did. Or Tarantula, yeesh. I dont think the words added up to a whole lot outside of the music. Very beautiful within though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.