New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

MikeJedi likes this.
  2. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

For a long time, I've thought that most actors playing Spock (or other Vulcans) don't have the same exotic look that Nimoy had. Mark Lenard and Lawrence Montaigne did. It's the epicanthic folds over the eyes which comes I think from his Eastern European heritage, which seeped in from Asia.

I was reminded of it last night while rewatching The Outer Limits' "The Zanti Misfits" where Michael Tolan also had that look. He might have made a good Vulcan.

This new Spock doesn't have the look, either.

sunspot42 and The Revealer like this.
  3. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I'll reserve judgement until we actually see footage of him as Spock...but I'm not seeing it. Zachary Quinto kinda already had that " Spock " look and he turned out fine, but this guy seems too much of a "pretty boy". He could surprise us though.

sunspot42 likes this.
  4. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

He’s Gregory Peck’s grandson, by the way. Perhaps the acting chops run in the family. And of course, acting chops are far more important than how closely he resembles Leonard Nimoy.

5. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Did not realise he was related to THAT Gregory Peck. That's cool. Still not sold at the moment but I will reserve final judgement when I see him actually in the role. After all I didn't at all think Karl Urban could nail Bones in ST09, but when I saw him actually in the film I liked him immediately. However technically the ST09 actors weren't exactly playing the characters from the original series but alternate versions, so it was a bit easier to leave your expectations at the door and just go with it.

The difference though is Peck actually IS playing the same Spock as Nimoy, just a decade younger. Sort of like with the guy who recently played Han Solo , he's going to be judged against Nimoy the same way the Solo actor was judged against Harrison Ford. Perhaps unfairly. I'm keeping an open mind.

sunspot42, BeatleJWOL and Encuentro like this.
  6. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

‘Star Trek: Short Treks’ Set At CBS All Access Ahead Of ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Return
    • Denise Petski
      September 20, 2018 11:15AM PDT
    The Star Trek franchise is expanding on CBS All Access. The streaming service has announced Star Trek: Short Treks, four stand-alone short stories that will begin rolling out on Thursday, October 4 ahead of the early 2019 Season 2 return of Star Trek: Discovery.

Each of the four stories will center on a key character, including familiar faces from Star Trek: Discovery: Mary Wiseman (Tilly), Doug Jones (Saru) and Rainn Wilson (Harry Mudd), in a short he will also direct, as well as a new character unfamiliar to fans, Craft, played by Aldis Hodge.

Star Trek: Discovery follows the voyages of Starfleet on their missions to discover new worlds and new life forms, and one Starfleet officer who must learn that to truly understand all things alien, you must first understand yourself. The series features a new ship and new characters while embracing the same ideology and hope for the future that inspired a generation of dreamers and doers. The series is produced by CBS Television Studios, Secret Hideout and Roddenberry Entertainment.

Descriptions and premiere dates of the four installments as well as a preview clip follow below.

Runaway – Thursday, Oct. 4

Onboard the U.S.S. Discovery, Ensign Tilly (Mary Wiseman) encounters an unexpected visitor in need of help. However, this unlikely pair may have more in common than meets the eye.

Written by Jenny Lumet & Alex Kurtzman. Directed by Maja Vrvilo.

Calypso – Thursday, Nov. 8

After waking up in an unfamiliar sickbay, Craft (Aldis Hodge) finds himself on board a deserted ship, and his only companion and hope for survival is an A.I. computer interface.

Teleplay by Michael Chabon. Story by Sean Cochran and Michael Chabon. Directed by Olatunde Osunsanmi.

The Brightest Star – Thursday, Dec. 6

Before he was the first Kelpien to join Starfleet, Saru (Doug Jones) lived a simple life on his home planet of Kaminar with his father and sister. Young Saru, full of ingenuity and a level of curiosity uncommon among his people, yearns to find out what lies beyond his village, leading him on an unexpected path.

Written by Bo Yeon Kim & Erika Lippoldt. Directed by Douglas Aarniokoski.

The Escape Artist – Thursday, Jan. 3

Harry Mudd (Rainn Wilson), back to his old tricks of stealing and double-dealing, finds himself in a precarious position aboard a hostile ship – just in time to try out his latest con.

Written by Michael McMahan. Directed by Rainn Wilson.
    ‘Star Trek: Short Treks’ Set At CBS All Access Ahead Of ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Return

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Meng likes this.
  7. Cool. More Trek and hopefully good Trek.

8. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

One of the 60's GREATEST TV HOURS ever. That was freaky to watch as a child!

wayneklein and Meng like this.
  9. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Yeah, but he HAS to look like Spock to play the part or it will not seem right.

Not sure why they closed the Bond thread, but I agree with you about Johnny Depp playing Tonto. There is no excuse for that (except big names draw big money). There are plenty of Native American actors that could play that part just as well.

wayneklein, Encuentro and sunspot42 like this.
  10. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Trying to get everyone that canceled at the end of last season to sign up a few months ahead of the next season starting, I guess. I'm not going to pay for 3 months to watch a few shorts.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  11. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Ethan Peck as Spock?

[​IMG]

12. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

New trailer!

13. Martin Landau as well if he had taken Roddenberry up on his offer.

14. Encuentro likes this.
  15. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Let’s hope the writing more than makes up for it.

wayneklein and The Revealer like this.
  16. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

CrazyCatz likes this.
  17. HGN2001

Yep. I have the Blu-ray of DISCOVERY Season One. It looks and sounds spectacular. Since CBS All Access streaming has left a lot to be desired as far as picture and sound quality, this set brings the Season One DISCOVERY episodes up to their best. While I really haven't looked at the episodes proper, the few samples I've looked at were spectacular.

budwhite likes this.
  18. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I do
    I ‘ll be getting the DVD (as I don’t have a
    Blu-Ray player yet.

Darryl

19. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Section 31

Georgiou is here to stay. CBS All Access today announced plans to further expand the Star Trekuniverse with a new live-action series in development starring Michelle Yeoh. The upcoming show will build upon Yeoh’s current Star Trek: Discovery role as a member of Starfleet’s Section 31 division, a black-ops shadow organization within the Federation. Discovery’s second season will debut Thursday, January 17 exclusively on CBS All Access.

Yeoh to Lead New Trek Series

Encuentro and wayneklein like this.
  20. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Good actress. But leading a Star Trek show? I'm not so sure. She and her character has a lot to live up to.

Section 31 is kinda interesting though. But does it need it's own show? The subject isn't exactly classic Trek

Vidiot likes this.
  21. I want 4K This show would pop.

22. Which is probably why they are doing it. DS9 did a great job touching on the surface of that but it hasn’t been mined yet

sunspot42 likes this.
  23. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Make-up can do wonders.

24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Yeah but, with this and the Picard project, it appears CBS is up to it's old tricks as, "the crotechety old rusty Tiffany Network".

What's next? Enterprise: Salvage Yard, or maybe, Quarkie Bunker's Place?

:idea: No, wait - I got it...Murphy Brown! :biglaugh:

melstapler likes this.
  25. HGN2001

Remember when Blu-ray was new and all of you guys were raving about your 1080p plasma sets? Remember how those Blu-rays "popped".

Here's a secret: they still do!