How Do You Rate The Doors?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

I did one for Cream and it brought about some very interesting conversation. Well mostly comparisons, but also conversation. Thought I’d do one for my third favourite band.

Personally I rate them obviously very highly. I’ve heard every album an insane amount of times, far more than stuff by anyone else. They never made a single bad song and made some of the best albums ever.
    What do you think of them?

2. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I think they are great and one of the best bands of their era, but I hesitate to put them in the absolute top tier of rock bands. For me, they are right on the line between “great” and “exceptional” and could go either way.

3. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

pretentious
    prɪˈtɛnʃəs/
    adjective
    1. attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed.
      "pretentious art films"

4. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Great bass player

5. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

:D

6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I was hooked when I bought their debut album. Still love their music. One the greats, at least to me.

7. Black Magic Woman

:laughup:

8. A Saucerful of Scarlets

I can absolutely understand why you think this, and a part of me agrees but overall I disagree.

9. Black Magic Woman

:D I like their debut though.

10. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Strip way all the mystical crap with Jim and what you have left are amazing songs that are all over the genre map. I voted exceptional.

11. whatwhat

whatwhat Forum Resident

somewhere btw exceptional and great

12. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

The Crystal Ship was pretentious as all heck, but also entertaining as all heck too! I liked it when they'd get all significant/faux cosmic like that.

13. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Awesome. I’m glad you can really appreciate them even though you don’t like that side of the band. I think that stops some people from really liking them.
    And yes they had fantastic variety, which is a main characteristic of all my favourite bands.

‘By the way’?
    I assume you meant between?

In what way do you think it was pretentious? I think many songs are but not that one personally.

14. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Supposedly about a girlfriend Jim was breaking up with, and after he'd dropped some acid. First single's b-side too...
    [​IMG]

15. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I don’t think they always had the most solid discography, and they could get kind of up their own asses sometimes, but overall they were a good band and I respect them.

16. whatwhat

whatwhat Forum Resident

it can mean either, and obviously 'between' in this instance

17. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Ah, I hadn't heard it that way before

whatwhat likes this.
  18. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Exceptional! And... yes.... also pretentious. But: How old was the man? Since he chose to leave us quite early he will be pretentious for ever. But what a voice!

That they stopped with one of their best albums is also testament to the power of The Doors. ("LA Woman", of course. Definitely not "An American Prayer")

19. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Somewhere between the second and third responses. I went with the third. I am not a "big fan," but they certainly did some amazing things. Plenty of dud songs, though, and a big chunk of the catalog seems quite dated when you get away from the singles. Airplane, Moby Grape, Love all hold up better for me these days. But yeah, a great band that was very much of its day and time.

20. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Their good no doubt about it.

Love their first album and their last album L.A. Woman.

Some average stuff in between. Really weren't together that long to make it to great.

21. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

one of the greatest bands in the world ever :D

22. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

They were one of my favorite bands my last year of HS and when I studied at UCLA (for obvious reasons plus the whole LA VIBE). Then I fell off the bandwagon a little bit. Saw a doors tribute act on Sunday night and realized what a great band they were.

23. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Loved them in my younger years, but I hardly listen to them anymore. Still, they are a great band for what they did. Strange Days is their best album.

24. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I think they're great. I can see the argument for pretension. The modern equivalent is probably Jane's Addiction. Shock value isn't everyone's cup of tea. I will state that just about every prog rock band can be viewed as being a bit pretentious.

Man at C&A, cwd, Comet01 and 3 others like this.
  25. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Deserving. The dark side of original West Coast Psychedelia.
    I guess some would call poetry and/or living theater "pretentious," but that is just ridiculous.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.