I've now watched all 51 Emma Peel Avengers episodes

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Beautifully described! They really were a terrific couple onscreen--and I've always wished Diana Rigg had been in more movies/TV so we'd have even more examples of that kind of superb acting. One that comes to mind is her performance as Regan in the Laurence Olivier King Lear, made for TV in (I think) 1984. Real goosebump stuff.

She's still quite beautiful, IMHO.

2. The Cellar

The Cellar New Member

I like the show for that reason too. I also have a weakness for the episodes that show Steed or Mrs. Peel having some kind of human weakness ("Too Many Christmas Trees", The House That Jack Built", etc.) because it makes a nice break from their usual unflappable ability to figure out a solution to any scrape.

I guess I prefer the black-and-white episodes because they're more subtle in that British way that we, ahem, discerning viewers enjoy. The color episodes are comparatively silly (though still highly enjoyable) and obviously geared to the American viewership. I do love "The Winged Avenger" though, especially for its subtle, affectionate digs at the "Batman" series.

Their relationship was quite unique for that time. It fascinates me. So British; understated, yet one glance spoke volumes for how they felt about each other.

Me too. I've never seen such a show for implying all sorts of things going on between two people. The hints are so subtle you'd sometimes wonder if it isn't just your overactive imagination.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Exactly like Steed- in fact, Mr. Peel was played by Patrick Macnee.

AJH

4. The Cellar

The Cellar New Member

I haven't seen it for a couple of years myself, but IIRC Mr. Peel is only shown from behind from a distance. They did suggest a similarity to Steed in the form of a visual gag (was it a bowler hat?).

5. The Cellar

The Cellar New Member

I have that "King Lear" on DVD too. You're right about the goosebumps: the entire cast was absolutely superb. It's been called the best cast ever assembled for a Shakespeare play in history, and I can believe it.

And speaking of Rigg, I had the great privilege of seeing her as Medea on Broadway in 1994. Rigg is probably the only actress in the world who can actually make you respect and pity the monstrous title character. Talk about goosebumps: I don't think my skin has settled down since then!

6. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Great link! Thanks for the initiation into more Dame Diana.:thumbsup:

7. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Regarding 'The Prisoner':

The 2 episodes that had this horrible flanging audio on DVD were "The General" and "The Chimes of Big Ben". You can call A&E to arrange replacement if you have an earlier defective set.

It was just awful. Before the replacement program a couple of people at HTF told me it was no big deal and I should just 'relax' about it. In real life I would have been temped to punch them, or at least give them a noogie or a wedgie or something.

I am completely unaware of any flanging on The Avengers. But I haven't watched every disc yet (I have the Mega Set with every disc).

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I think there is just one Avengers with the mono flanging problem. One of the color episodes.

9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I think I know what a "wedgie" is, but a "noogie" - you lost me.

Regards,
    Geoff

10. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

If I remember my childhood correctly, a "Noogie" is a rather vigorous head massage, usually with the knuckles of one's hand. Ah the good old days.

Jeff

11. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Do you remember the old Saturday Night Live Routine with Bill Murray and Gilda Radner as nerds? "Todd" (Bill) would occasionally do a "Noogie patrol" (is that what he called it?) on Gilda's noggin!

12. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

Oh yeah:laugh: That was hilarious. Wish they'd put the original cast SNL stuff out on DVD. They've got some of the more recent stuff out, but I would dearly love to see all the old stuff out. Samauri TV Repairman anyone?

Jeff

13. sgraham

sgraham New Member

In defense of Robert Orban and his gear, while he may have made a device that created lousy (or perhaps was abused to create lousy) fake surround, Orban gear generally sounds great for its intended use. A huge percentage of radio stations use Orban gear for their stereo generators (all stereo stations need a stereo generator, this is not a *fake* stereo generator) and audio processing, and if you think they sound bad, take it from me, without Mr. Orban they'd still be trying to do the same amount of compression, but it'd sound a lot worse.

14. Steve Hoffman

Heh, from my years in "compatible" radio syndication, just seeing the name ORBAN on something gives me shivers.

Sorry!

15. The Cellar

The Cellar New Member

Whew! I just finished going through Emma Peel again, and it was just as good as the first time, if not better. Steed wasn't too bad either! ;)

I noticed it on "The £50,000 Breakfast." I wrote A&E about it and the rep who responded said he was unaware of any sound issues on the Avengers DVDs, so I guess there's no fix for it.

16. Steve Hoffman

Good job!

Just that one show then.

Oh well, the monochromes are just perfect!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Well, I'm working my way through the Secret Agent (aka Danger Man) series. I find the plots very well written and intricate for the most part. Both my wife and I enjoy them very much, of course we are both big Prisoner fans so it seems natural. The quality of the DVDs is also top notch as are the Prisoner sets. How do the scripts for the Avengers compare to something like Secret Agent? Do they have the same kind of intelligent/intricate plots? I'm in my 40s so I only barely remember any of these shows.

18. Steve Hoffman

Apples and oranges, John.

Totally different.

19. stereoptic

The Avenger's plots were often very imaginative and with a touch of sci-fi like fanatsy. However, there was always some kind of rationale explanation for the wierd behavior. Sort of like the early X-Files where there was some natural explanation for the supernatural events. Actually, I always thought that Mulder and Sculley's relationship was somehwhat based on the Steed/Peel relationship. They rarely used each other's first names, and most of the time used logic over weapons.

Anyway, thanks to this thread, I just ordered the set with "A Touch of Brimstone" and my favorite "The House that Jack Built". I've been needing an excuse to get some of these DVDs, but I had figured I'd just rent them from Blockbuster or Hollywood Video, but they never got them in for renting.

20. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

The Avengers (Peel era) was almost always very tongue-in-cheek.

'Secret Agent' episodes were well-scripted, thoughtful spy tales that did not rely on the 'guns and babes' cliches of most spy shows and movies of the era (and even today).

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Was "House" the one with that freaky house with the rooms that kept changing, and no exit?? Maaaan, was that one freaky. Even had ME spooked!

22. stereoptic

Yeah, that's the one. I haven't seen it in about 30 years! I hope it's as good as I remember it! There was a similar "colour" edisode called "The Joker", I think I'll get that set next.

23. stereoptic

John - check out Steve's home page - there's a link to a fantastic Avenger's web site. It's loaded with info and pictures. Also, its entirely html, so it loads quickly and there are no pop-ups "buy my spy camera" ads or distracting animations.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Bumped this because I saw the The Complete Emma Peel Mega Set at Costco yesterday for the first time. It as well as The Prisoner and Monty Python sets were $89.99 each.

Also the S&G Columbia Studio Recordings 5CD set was back and still $29.99.

25. Steve Hoffman

Wow, I was searching on the Internet for people's favorite Avengers episodes and came across this. At first I thought: "Gee, this guy has my taste exactly".

Heh, then I realized it was me. Silly 3" screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.