New Steve Perry album "Traces" coming October 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The 2nd album wasn't produced as well and had pretty long songs. It bordered on prog and was clearly Neal's vision for the band. The first with Arnel wasn't all that great, either, but it had a low price campaign at WalMart that combined a re-recorded Greatest Hits that was hard for people to pass up. That's how the sales got pumped.

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

yep, that wal-mart campaign was ingenious. they sold a lot of CD's to the wal-mart crowd, most of which had no idea (and probably still have no idea) that it was not steve perry singing those songs.

the thing that really gets me about the whole cloning of steve perry 3 different times is that they very very rarely play even one song from any of those albums or EP in concert. schon himself knows that no one on earth wants to hear those songs.

driverdrummer likes this.
  3. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Better than locally - no top 50s in Australia - but I guess my point is that the teen on the street would not have been proclaiming themselves a Journey fan .. and then nothing. Not like ... Bon Jovi!

4. But there's quite a few good songs there. This says more about the listeners being stuck in their youth than anything else (I think). That's the lot for a group that has/had a large mainstream fanbase. The groups who have smaller but more obsessive fanbases can get away with doing more new and different material. Rush or Pearl Jam have essentially "trained" their fans to expect this.

Jimmy Agates and OptimisticGoat like this.
  5. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

6. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

To be fair his mother was dying during the ROR sessions

LittlePearl and krock2009 like this.
  7. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

They really were not better than TBF
    And Augeri can’t touch Perry for vocal ability.

LittlePearl and MikeVielhaber like this.
  8. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

That's a poor excuse, Schon's got ex-wives to support; lots of ex-wives to support!

LittlePearl likes this.
  9. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I can't figure out if the deluxe vinyl is only available from his online store, or if it's just the color-vinyl issues. At any rate, I haven't seen a deluxe vinyl listed anywhere else yet...

10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Schon and Cain cannot be blamed for wanting to continue in 1998 without Perry. From 1987-1995, they achieved limited commercial success and the financial incentives that come with it. Perry agreed to reform, the band allegedly was given a $4 million dollar advance from Columbia for “Trial By Fire,” a payday and major label support neither Schon nor Cain had seen in quite some time.

It is unclear what really happened with Perry, the alleged hip injury, the ultimatum, etc., but Schon and Cain must have thought Perry could not commit to the future and did not want to give up Journey and the creative outlet and financial benefits it had to offer.

That being said, Perry had a point about the band’s legacy. The band activity over the past 20 years has not lived up to the legacy the band built with Perry, they are able to function because of it. If Perry was truly sincere that he wanted to continue with Journey after dealing with his health issues in the late 1990’s, the band missed out a big opportunity.

driverdrummer and OptimisticGoat like this.
  11. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Steve Perry has been a virtual recluse for the past 21 years. I think history has proven that he's just no longer the type of person capable of committing to a band.

12. OptimisticGoat

I think that has been coming ever since Street-talk. As much as I love it, I think there is a lot of solo Perry in Raised On Radio, albeit embellished by the contributions of band members.

13. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Speak for yourself.

bru87tr likes this.
  14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I recently bought Street Talk and after a couple of cursory listens, I'm not overly whelmed. It's very professional & well recorded (and of course well sung!) but I'm not finding much mileage in the songs.

Maybe it needs a few more plays.

PDK, MikeInFla and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  15. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Don't Stop Believin' made number 6 about ten years ago on the back of some tv show.

At the time of it's original release, it climbed to the dizzy heights of #62.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  16. OptimisticGoat

No - that’s it. It’s a good not great album. Good singles and a couple of strong tracks. I think Steve sounds beat on Journey tracks where there are real players pushing him.

carlwm likes this.
  17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Ah. Thought as much.

Good to have my opinions confirmed by someone whose taste I trust.

MikeInFla and OptimisticGoat like this.
  18. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I think that GH disc helped, but the new album was very very strong and very catchy. I played it non stop that year.

19. PacificOceanBlue

After he was fired from Journey, his life took a different path. It is unclear if he would have stayed inactive for so long had he not been kicked out of the band.

LittlePearl likes this.
  20. PacificOceanBlue

I think Perry’s writing took a new direction during that period, which clearly influenced what he did with Journey. That said, I find the Raised On Radio material to be more melodic than most of the Street Talk material — Cain’s melodic presence on Raised On Radio cannot be ignored.

OptimisticGoat and artfromtex like this.
  21. I thought it had 3-4 solid songs, down from the 6-7 that I was hearing/feeling from the two full albums with Augeri.
    To me, it was clear that they needed another writer, and while Pineda really brought it with the vocals, he was not then a songwriter.

22. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I though Revelation songs were way above the Augeri albums.

There isnt a song I dislike on Revelation. I found the song writing to be a very high Journey level on Revelation.

23. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I completely agree. It is a great album.

24. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

We've gone from fire yellow vinyl that sold out, to marbled blue vinyl that sold out, to tree green marble vinyl now.
    Wish I knew how many colors of the rainbow they intend to release. This has become a massive campaign.

LittlePearl and OptimisticGoat like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.