GLOW - Netflix Series (6/23/2017)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jmobrien68, Jun 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

3 episodes into season 2. enjoying very much so far.

Dan C likes this.
  2. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

It was her Elementary role as the "neuro-atypical" Fiona put Betty Gilpin on my radar. Then I later realized that I'd seen her in Nurse Jackie, which I had only watched a few times as it didn't hold my interest. So far she's great as Liberty Belle.

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I've not seen her in anything prior to Glow, and here she made an impression. Of course she's very attractive with a statuesque physique (watch ep7!), but she also projects warmth and charm and in this season, recognizes her experience and self worth and takes action to negotiate a fairer contract. It's a great character to whom there is more than meets the eye.

4. dmiller458

I DID! :love:

5. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

The original show (of which I have a tiny memory of seeing in the 80s as a kid) was AMAZINGLY cheesy. Even as a young kid I cringed with embarrassment at just how excessively chessy and silly it was. Seriously, the show probably underplays the cheese. The bit I remember was a wrestler's kid on crutches coming up to the ring to give his mother the strength to fight back and win the match. Beyond cheese. Painfully chessy.

There's a 75 minutes doc from 2012 about the real GLOW on Netflix (UK at least) which I don't think anyone has mentioned. It's very interesting.

GLOW: The Story of the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling (2012) - IMDb

Season 1 was excellent. Season 2 was good. I feel Marc Maron wasn't as engaged this time, as though he was a bit bored of it.

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't have any direct experience of the real GLOW goings on, but I am aware that it was cheesy. However, that component is not what I liked about the show in S1. It was more the inter-personal dynamics that stood out, so focusing more on the cheese in S2, was less satisfying for me.

I would largely agree with that. What I found a little perplexing was that Marc Maron's character suddenly turned mean at the start of the season (having mellowed out in S1) and then proceeded to soften up again over the course of S2. The newfound meanness just seemed manufactured. However, I did like how he handled his daughter's issues and the ex-wife situation. A reconciliation may be possible.

7. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

I'm a few episodes in of Season Two and enjoying it as much as Season One.

8. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

No question Elementary put her-wish she had stayed on that show-on the map but she was also fantastic on Masters of Sex on Showtime. worth looking up.

9. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

If I remember correctly she was one of the few highlights during an otherwise forgettable season of American Horror Story.

10. dmiller458

That was another Showtime series that didn't hold my interest.

11. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Watched the 'Russian/goat' episode this morning before I came to work. Laughed so much I woke the wife up. Finest tv series there's been for years - and I came into it knowing nothing about female wrestling. I think I've nearly seen them all now. Genuinely hope there's a 3rd series.

12. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

looking over the Emmy nominations today and how Alison Brie and Marc Maron did not get nominations is beyond my thought process. we watch Grace and Frankie and while I like Lily Tomlin, she doesn't hold a candle to Ms. Brie's performance. and don't get me started in best supporting actor in a comedy. the whole premise of nominating one off show ups for a single SNL show is ridiculous! Mr Maron's performance is light years beyond the mostly unfunny skits performed on SNL. Emmy is getting better but still a long way to go.

dmiller458 likes this.
  13. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Good show. S1 was much better

14. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I watched the 2nd season last week. Although not quite as good as the 1st season, it was still very entertaining. The most dramatic 'moment' of the entire series had to have been the scene where Alison Brie and Betty Gilpin finally talk out their problems, that was some seriously powerhouse acting! Followed the series with the Glow documentary, made the series look like Sesame Street!;)

15. Somewhat Damaged

In a forgotten pile of about ten UK VHS tapes I found two videos of GLOW my dad bought. I watched them. They were bad but not as bad as expected.

Canvas Carnage and Ring Riots are compilations of fights. Each tape is a mere 57 minutes long. It brings it all back to me how we were often ripped off with two Star Trek episodes to a tape (88 mins), or a six episode BBC sitcom (180 mins) would be spread over two tapes of three episodes each (90 mins). The DVD era, and now streaming, has made that sort of BS releasing impossible.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about these GLOW tapes is the retro VHS covers. The contents are pretty banal.

The tapes are copyrighted 1991. The show ran from 1986-1990. Based on comments made in the 2012 GLOW doc (which I re-watched as well on Netflix) I think all the footage was taken from the first season. I think this mainly because the referee was the Mexican and not the head writer who took over in the second season, and the room they fight in is very small.

Canvas Carnage has an 18 certificate and Ring Riots a 15. That’s insane. This is PG stuff. I’ve no idea why Canvas Carnage is considered more extreme than Ring Riots. I guess the high certificates are either because they were considered fetish videos (there is nothing sexy going on here) or it’s a moral judgement about ladies wrestling. I would love to know why the BBFC gave this kid friendly nonsense such high certificates. [18 is probably the equivalent of a hard R to NC-17 and 15 is a soft R.]

Some of the fights have the wrestlers talking smack using a picture in picture effect during the fights. On Canvas Carnage the audio is often unintelligible during these interviews (my VHS copy is not at fault).

The editing is a little choppy at times. There was one moment were the commentator refers to someone taking three head-butts but I only saw one. I half-suspect the censors might have cut out some head-butts.

It’s funny how the fighters arrive via elevator doors.

The strong stage lights smear badly all over the picture.

The covers each have four promotional pictures (two on the front and two on the back) but no actual screen grabs from the videos.

The videos were distributed by VCI.

The only sketches included was about three visits to Drs Fiel and Grope: Elderly Dr doing a check up on a wrestler. ‘You look like my sixth wife.’ ‘How many wives have you had?’ ‘Five.’ Look to camera. That’s the sketch in its entirety.

The first tag match on Canvas Carnage ends with two of the women arranging a one-on-one grudge match. We don’t get that fight on the tape. Odd editorial choice to promise a match that we don’t get to see.

The last fight on Ring Riots was awful. It was tedious as The Housewives simply couldn’t fight.

I’d post pictures of the cover art but I don’t have an account to do that. Searching online I couldn’t find a picture of Canvas Carnage. Ring Riots has an eBay picture. There’s probably footage on YouTube of this stuff if you’re interested. It’s not good but it’s not unwatchable.

eBay listing of Ring Riots if you want to see the cover art:
    GLOW - GORGEOUS LADIES OF WRESTLING - RING RIOTS VHS 1991 | eBay

Edit: I found a pic of Canvas Carnage.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  16. Somewhat Damaged

I looked up early 90s WWF UK VHS artwork. The certificates range all over the place. Some are E (exempt), PG, 15 and 18. There seems to be no coherence to what gets what. It looks to me like it came down to what team of people viewed it at the BBFC that day. Some were appalled by the violence and others didn't care.

17. Somewhat Damaged

The VHS tape covers.

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Bender Rodriguez and George P like this.
  19. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I recall back in the early years (1981, maybe?) when Warner issued individual episodes of 'Saturday Night Live' on Betamax for about $80 each! People in charge of these things really had no idea at all how to market TV for home video. But someone, somewhere must have bought at least one of them at some point. I guess.

20. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

There's a "Nurse Jackie" episode in which she appears nude....so maybe give it another shot !

21. dmiller458

She's got a rockin' body, but I need more than two reasons to watch the show.

22. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Actually, besides that, I thought "Nurse Jackie" was a really good show

23. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I enjoy Glow, but it doesn't compare, in any way, to the far superior Nurse Jackie!

24. dmiller458

Edie Flaco's specialty seems to be wallowing in self-pity.

25. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Just finished season 2.

"Liberty Belle just did a castador into a crossbody! That's like doing algebra in space!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.