What do you think of Blue Oyster Cult?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steveo, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member Thread Starter

They are my favorite!! Seen them many many times in different states . Caught the Black N Blue Tour was Awesome they killed it !!! I Have everything they have put out and a lot of other live shows ...

2. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

3. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

It would be helpful to actually write out the band's name in the title... helps with future searches if nothing else.

In high school, my best friend thought their current hit was called "Don't Fear the Reefer"...

;)

4. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I think they’re great and highly underappreciated. Secret Treaties and Agents of Fortune are particularly great albums and are solid all the way through.

5. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

The guys from STYX love them.

6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I was turned on to them from Creem magazine at the time of T&M. I bought the album without hearing one note and made it my HS duty to spread the word. I think I can list on one hand all the albums like that one that left me speechless on first listen. Which is why I slightly prefer it over Secret Treaties.
    For a HS kid, those were deeper lyrics than the standard Deep Purple hard rock stuff. Things changed drastically on Agents of Fortune, which was a real step down. I hung in for Spectres, which is tiresome in spots, but finishes with Fireworks. After that, I'm off the train. In Thee was embarrassing. I got a copy of Imaginos for free, I only keep it for two songs.

7. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

loved them on snl

8. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Thought this was going to be about Boards of Canada.

9. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

The first 3 albums are some of the best things ever made.

10. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Loved the in '71.
    Love them now.
    A hard working band.

11. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

I saw them die a truly miserable death at Donington in 1981.
    They had many misfortunes that day, but then they followed Slade, which sealed their fate.

Apart from that, and Don't fear the reaper (which I can take or leave), they have never really been on my radar.

OnTheRoad and AndydD like this.
  12. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

A fan

Saw them live once around the time of Some Enchanted Evening. I agree with the Panda that Spectres is salvaged by Fireworks and will add that Godzilla is good fun. I do like me some Agents of Fortune though, along with the initial three albums. I tried to like Cultasaurus but really couldn't.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  13. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

B.O.C. is one of those bands I've always meant to dig deeper into, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
    I only own a best-of and the Fire of Unknown Origin album at the moment, I like'em both fine for whatever that's worth...

Doggiedogma and Steveo like this.
  14. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Check out the first three and the live album On Your Feet And On Your Knees. I will say this, they’re a band that you have to sit in the water for a bit before it sinks in.

15. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

They’re not BTO or BS&T

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  16. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I love Blue Oyster Cult. It's too bad they are mostly a club act here in America now. But I guess not having a hit album in nearly 40 years will do that to you. Maybe if they had more commercial success later in the 1980s it would have carried their popularity to younger generations. But most of what they did in the 70s and early 80s, I enjoy.

17. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

I still think they need more cowbell

The Bruce Dickinson knows...

18. Steveo

We can talk

uzn007 likes this.
  19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

There are some bands where I can get into their early albums, but as the 80's drew closer, they got less interesting.

Blue Oyster Cult is such an animal for me. First three albums - fun. After that, it's one long roll down hill. Inevitably, their success only grew, such is the way of the world. Those first three albums are really good though.

Another band in this mode is UFO.

20. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Not a fan. I prefer BDC (Big Drill Car).

catnipdynamite likes this.
  21. jpgettes

jpgettes Senior Member

Took my 15 yr old to see them about a month or so ago at the Variety Playhouse (cap. ~1000) here in Atlanta and it was packed. They killed it. I had a great time watching the crowd go nuts. Pleasantly surprised at the turnout. My son absolutely loved it. Also he was far from the youngest in the crowd. I couldn't believe the demographic.

I own Secret Treaties and Agents of Fortune SACDs, as well as Some Enchanged Evening with the concert DVD package. Great band that still sounds great live.

22. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

23. Steveo

On Tour Forever !!!

24. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

I love the first 4 studio albums....BOC to Agents to Fortune (a soundtrack to my summer of 1976), and their live one from that period....On Your Feet or On Your Knees. From Spectres on they kind of lost it for me.

t-man 54, luckett and Steveo like this.
  25. catnip nation

catnip nation Forum Resident

Their early Stalk-Forest Group recordings are amazing.I never get tired of listening to these jams.
    I enjoy the first 4 or 5 BOC LP'S as well....not to mention the On Your Feet Or On Your Knees album,which is one of the finest live albums of that era.