Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2018-2019 44th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

Since people were starting to talk about who is or is not returning for the upcoming season in thread for the last season, I figured it's time to start a new thread to discuss the upcoming 44th season of SNL!

'Saturday Night Live': Featured Player Luke Null Exits

Also, just to get it out of the way (with apologies to @Marry a Carrot):

The show hasn't been funny since Chevy Chase/John Belushi/Eddie Murphy/Dana Carvey/Phil Hartman/Chris Farley/Norm Macdonald/Will Ferrell/Tina Fey/Kristen Wiig/John Milhiser left, and I can't believe anyone still watches it.

2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I’m excited to see the “worst episode ever” and “they should cancel it because I haven’t liked it in 30 years yet I still watch it to complain about it” posts.

jupiter8, intv7, Pinknik and 6 others like this.
  3. They guy has an appropriate surname, given the impression he made on the show.

4. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I still watch it mainly for hosts that can make it funnier than without that host. And I think the last one I remember laughing quite a bit was hosted by Bill Hader when he did his characters from when he was a regular cast member, in particular "The Californians". I freakin' crack up when they start giving traffic routes and directions. "Kevin?!...WhuhYhooo doo-in here!"

Some of the newest cast members aren't all that funny IMO.

5. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Well, that didn’t take long. :rolleyes:

6. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

The John Mulaney show was good but dusting off his old scripts really showed how bad the writing has gotten on the show. No one seems to be able to write full blown sketch anymore - they're just concepts, but maybe that's all people's attention spans can handle . I will say though that generally, the filmed pieces are a lot stronger than the live sketches. Maybe they just need more time.

I really miss Vanessa and her weirdness also. The show was noticeably lacking a certain edge with her gone last season; those surreal little moments that would spring up out of nowhere that were her specialty. That's just me though. I like it weird.

7. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I had it recording on my dvr for a long time, until last season. Now I just watch one or two sketches online plus weekend update.

MikaelaArsenault and kronning like this.
  8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

hosts for this year?

9. Her ability to keep in character when others were starting to break up laughing was also impressive.

10. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Speaking of Luke Null, I listened to a podcast called "the not ready for prime time players" hosted by Ryan Mcgee and Mike Ryan from Uproxx where they would review each show usually the following day. They used to always stress how funny Luke was received during table reads and were surprised he never got much of a chance on the show. Strangely the podcast stopped taping after the Donald Glover episode in May and I've never been able to figure out what happened to the show.

MikaelaArsenault and Dan C like this.
  11. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

No announcements have been made yet.

12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I really miss Vanessa too. One of my all time favorites.

An under appreciated skill, but she was great at it. The audience howls like baboons when the cast members "break". I can't stand it myself and really appreciate the actors/actresses who stay in character.

13. In the early days breaking character was strictly forbidden. They considered it unprofessional and too "Carol Burnett". Then Giggleboy Fallon came along and now breaking up seems to be acceptable.

MikaelaArsenault, kronning and Dan C like this.
  14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Fallon is the worst offender but it seems as cast members have risen in the ranks, they are given a break. A first year guy can't to do but and established an popular cast member can. Bill Hader may have broke as much as Fallon, he broke through every "Steffan" bit I ever saw.

15. Tim Lookingbill

Laura Parsons on YouTube. Love it! That's my favorite Vanessa character.

16. But unlike any other sketches, the Stefan bits were designed to try and get Hader to lose it. Hader was reading most of the stuff on the cue cards for the first time on-air.

17. That's right so I give Hader a pass. If you were aware that Hader was reading new material live his crack-ups were basically part of the sketch.

18. Indeed. The first couple of times I saw the Stefon bits I thought the breaking was just part of the character, laughing about how outré all the things he was describing were. But when I was clued in to what was really going on, it was actually even funnier. :)

19. modrevolve

Opening night is September 29th with host Adam Driver and musical guest Kayne West...

20. I see they're really pushing the envelope with their musical guest. :rolleyes:

So what's the deal here, does Kanye West have to appear on the show every two years or something?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  21. modrevolve

Dan C and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  22. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

The shows that have been any good the past several seasons have been with hosts who can also write and make the show better.

23. Tim Lookingbill

24. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

25. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Isn't it pretty standard that the featured players are promoted to full cast members after two years (if they haven't gotten booted before then)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.