"Elementary", New CBS Show.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by tonyc, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Who is the actor playing Michael this season? He looks very familiar.

2. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

CBS continues to exasperate me. Their treatment of Elementary is (thankfully) the exception. Person of Interest, Code Black, et al were seriously good shows. Well written, interesting premises and plot lines, great casts, only to be thrown on the refuse heap in favor of variations of Two Broke Girls and Kevin Can Wait sitcoms.

audiomixer likes this.
  3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i really like this show a lot, well done, and johnny lee miller should get emmy consideration.

4. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Desmond Harrington who played Joey Quinn on Dexter.

5. audiomixer

Thanks so much! I just couldn't place him.

6. alduchaney

alduchaney In my second circle and heading for the top

I watch the program in a home theater setting, and am most disturbed by the over use of LFE to (ostensibly) create tension. The low frequency sounds from my subwoofer are distractingly over loud and create (the wrong type of) anxiety for me while listening to the dialogue. I find the commercial breaks a welcome relief from the program audio. When an effect is too obviously manifest it ruins the dramatic tension and creates just tension. I am considering dumping the show due to the sound design alone. The glass in my equipment rack rattled throughout this last espisode, and I do not watch non-musical TV programs at excessively loud volumes.

Jim Pattison and audiomixer like this.
  7. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

My favorite Sherlock interpetations were by Cumberbatch and Jeremy Brett.

alduchaney likes this.
  8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Interesting. I listen through my two channel stereo and don't have low frequency energy drawing much attention to itself, or possibly I'm so used to this in the shows I watch that it doesn't stand out and make me tense. Which is good as I like watching Elementary. I think Lucy Liu should always be in a television series every year, I've enjoyed her stint in this show.

9. audiomixer

I've watched this show from the beginnng, but I'm sensing an end to the series after this "summer replacement" marathon. I think they're trying to kill the show.

10. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I predict Lucy Liu will be moving into directing after the series is over (whenever that is). She has directed about 4 episodes of "Elementary" , plus other TV shows as well.

11. Producers often allow stars to "direct" episodes for extra money. It's a way of increasing a star's salary after they've signed a deal.

soundboy likes this.
  12. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Elementary has been renewed for Season 7.

Shawn, Paper Wizard and Lonson like this.
  13. audiomixer

Ugh!

14. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Let me fix that for you; YaY!

kevywevy, eddiel, Shawn and 4 others like this.
  15. sgb

sgb Senior Member

The sound via local broadcaster over the cable is so low that when added to the muddy sound of the program I'm forced to turn on closed captioning. This is a local issue, I realize, and it encompasses more than just the Sherlock program, but it's not as if I lose sleep over whether or not I missed the latest episode. Aiden Quinn is aging rapidly.

16. audiomixer

I'm dumping this show after this season is done. It's just all over the place.

17. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

I agree that the show, despite Miller's wonderful characterization, is now a shadow of its former self. I love Lucy Liu, but they don't seem to know what to do with Joan. I was surprised at the renewal, particularly since they keep moving new episodes between Sunday & Monday nights this summer. That's usually a sure indicator a show is on the outs.

eddiel, Veggie Boy and audiomixer like this.
  18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I'm not dumping the show, but agree it was all over the place.

I expected this season to be the last and indeed the renewal of the past season was a surprise. But I read that the show does very well for them in overseas markets so it's still profitable. IIRC CBS owns part of the show, which probably helped with renewals.

19. It remains a profitable show, and CBS likes sticking with proven shows over untried new properties.

20. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

^Like a "Magnum PI" rehash :rolleyes:

audiomixer likes this.
  21. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

On my station the dailog often sounds poor - there's gotta be something wrong with the master mix being delivered by the show itself.

I wonder how the DVDs sound? Anyone have the DVDs? Or digital download from iTunes or another retailer?

Karnak likes this.
  22. audiomixer

No offense, but who wants to own the DVDs of this show? One viewing is more than enough.

23. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Offended

24. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I've been and remain a fan since the first season but it seems the writers have been resting on their laurels since about season 4.

It seems to me the producers are banking on Lucy Liu's sex appeal. What is it in the last couple seasons with what appears to be obligatory scenes of Joan being interrupted by Sherlock while she's in bed? Yeah she's in respectable pajamas but is this a feeble attempt to help fulfill some middle aged guys' fantasies of catching Lucy Liu in a bed scene?

25. audiomixer

oh, well. no apology. sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.