Concerts you went to for the opening act, not the headliner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jparis51, Aug 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Early night for me!!!

spsimmons likes this.
  2. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Just saw The Pixies/Weezer show last month with my son. Even though it's kind of billed as a co-tour, it's obvious that it's a Weezer tour, as The Pixies played maybe an hour, and Weezer played for the better part of two hours. I went to see The Pixies (although, I do like most of Weezer's hits, and they did put on a really good show. Pretty energetic).

3. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Angela Bofill for the Kool Jazz Festival
    Todd Rundgren opening for Hall and Oates
    Heart opening for Def Leppard
    Cheap Trick opening for Def Leppard

4. Brendan Mulhaire

Brendan Mulhaire Forum Resident

1969 - Singer Bowl Flushing. The Who opened for The Doors
    1971 - Gaelic Park, Bronx. Yes opened for Mountain.

5. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Queens Of The Stone Age, supporting Foo Fighters @ Hyde Park, 2006.

6. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Can't tell you the specific shows, but in the early/mid '70s the Edgar Winter Group seemed to be the opening act for half the concerts my friends and I attended. They were always terrific and after a while we started going to shows with headliners we weren't necessarily interested in, just to see EWG.

Ricardo Perfecto likes this.
  7. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble opening for Huey Lewis and The News.....mid/late 80’s....’86/7 maybe?

8. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

The Living End played near me a year ago but I missed them because I was on vacation - in Scotland.

Ricardo Perfecto likes this.
  9. Baidur

Baidur Forum Resident

Dutch band Simmer. A follow-up band of my personal favorite The Serenes. They opened for Wilco playing in Amsterdam. Somewhere second half of the nineties if I remember correctly.

10. epp56

epp56 Forum Resident

The The opening for Depeche Mode
    worked at a record store at the the time and got free tickets from the Sony (The The) label rep.
    left after The The

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I saw the Foos open for the Stones in 1997, but I stayed for the headliner! ;)

Embracetheday likes this.
  12. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

interesting i am sure i saw the kinks on that tour and don't remember them opening for hall and oates.or maybe i didn't see them live after soap opera(that did come first no?)

13. drobo

drobo Forum Resident

Al Di Meola Project opening for Renaissance in Houston. Al D had left Return to Forever and of course Keith Relf had passed. Al D Project killed it for one hour with no breaks between songs. Great set. Stayed for two cuts of Renaissance but was only thinking of the opening act onslaught as we left early.

14. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Here's another one: Goo Goo Dolls opening for The Gun Club in 1989. The Goo completely destroyed them.

15. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Courtney Barnett opening for Belle and Sebastion

Never liked Belle and Sebastion. This was before CB had her debut but i loved that split EP. I got there 5 mins before she went on stage and got front row center!! After her set everyone rushed towards the front and I went back to the merch table and met CB and bought her a beer. Great night!

16. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

This baffles me. SRV opening for Huey Lewis? I must be in an alternate universe.

Steve Litos and Carter DeVries like this.
  17. grendel322

grendel322 Forum Resident

Probably not completely on topic, but last year I went to see "The Beach Boys" so I could see Jeff Foskett.

I did go see Wilco open for Natalie Merchant and left before she came on.

18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Another one for U2. Only time I wanted to see them was on an opening slot at the Paradise in Boston in 1980 on their first tour. I had all the early singles and Boy was a favorite of mine the minute it hit. They were good. They opened for a never to be seen again called Boogaloo Bandit. There were about 40 of us there to see U2(I actually got to go early and see their soundcheck), and after they finished, everybody left. Later that night me and my friend took all of them, except Bono, to a party that the owner of a local bookstore was happening(not for U2, but just a weekend party). My friend had a long talk with The Edge that night and traded letters with him for a few years after that.

phillyal1 likes this.
  19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Pantera opening for Skid Row 1992

20. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

There is a possibility of the situation this fall. The opener is listed on the headliner website but the particular date is not listed on the opener's website.
    I don't want to jinx it by naming names.

21. marmooskapaul

marmooskapaul Forum Resident

Going to Ball State University same time period...Freeze Frame was big...so we go see J Geils at ...I think old Pepsi Coliseum in Indianapolis. Strange band opening for them...lol,...didn't hit me till years later it was U2..think Bono was on top of speakers doing communion with bread or something...liked them a lot.
    Also went to see Heart at Market Square in late 80's to really catch John Melonncamp ...he was getting big at that time.

22. marmooskapaul

marmooskapaul Forum Resident

Saw REM in late 80's they were great....but opening band Throwing Muses....I love till this day..and all of Kristin Hersh's musical forays .

23. toddfan

toddfan Forum Resident

I went to see R.E.M. at Kemper Arena because Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians was the opening act...not that R.E.M. was not a group I wanted to see, it was more because I would not have gone to see pretty much anyone at that particular venue...so, Robyn definitely drew me out!

I drove to Chicago to see Maroon 5 because Sara Bareilles was the opener.

JL6161, Steve Litos and marmooskapaul like this.
  24. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

2001 My Vitriol opening for Placebo (I love Placebo, and they were still very good at the time, but it was the only time I got to see My Vitriol in my area and I was a fan).
    2002 Idlewild opening for Coldplay
    2017 Local H opening for Helmet

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    Pop_Zeus likes this.
  25. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

1975, Emmylou Harris opening for Pure Prairie League.
    1967, The Who opening for Herman's Hermits

AlmanacZinger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.