Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. bobfan

bobfan Forum Resident

But there's a huge gulf in sound quality from the SBDs to the professionally recorded Manchester and London gigs. Yes, the quality is good for the rest of the shows but it isn't the same.

2. bobfan

bobfan Forum Resident

This is nonsense. Grossman had nothing to do with Dylan in '78. Most the '79, '80 gigs exist as SBDs from the desk, with Toronto '80 professionally recorded. All the '81 gigs exist as eight track multi tracks. There's no mystery to any if this. The information us freely available on the Trouble No More set.

Crispy Rob, nfmboss666, Sean and 5 others like this.
  3. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

Presumably part of the reason this was so well-priced, though? If there's any upside to only, say 10 RTR being multitracked and the rest being board tapes, it might be that Sony can't justify top tier pricing for it.

4. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

The multi-tracks from 1966 sound good, the raw SBDs are typical of their kind; interesting from a reference or historical perspective but not capturing or simulating any of the ambience or impact of a live show. Really loud and dry-sounding vocals, a band that might as well be playing in a different room. Little-to-no sense of space or ambience.

I do release their are limitations on what can be done to raw board recordings from 50+ years ago.

My point was that more care overall is going to be put into a relatively mainstream 6-10 CD release than a 60 CD "copyright-dump"-style release aimed at collectors.

5. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident

i'd like nothing more than two separate bricks with every recorded second of the two revues, trailing closely behind the documentary and a painstakingly restored four-hour 'director's original vision' version of renaldo and clara, to immerse and lose myself in the shamelessly appropriated gypsy kitsch of bob dragging his friends along to slam the final nail in the coffin of the counterculture dream; the very last time dylan, mercurial and jester-like, appeared totally untouchable, unpredictable and invincible

but i'd also be pretttttttty okay with bobcorp offering up a curated 75/76 set of choice cuts, if they absolutely positively have to whittle it down for reasons of sheer size and/or length. just make it at least 36 discs this time around as well

highway, Bink and IronWaffle like this.
  6. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

hush! on that last point rihajarvi. Don't give Dylan corp. any bad ideas, you know how susceptible they are.

I take your point, RoyalPineapple, but I'm not worried about it. Everybody knows that archival board and PA tapes aren't going to be as good as multi-track recordings, especially from the analog era, but they always do the best they can with it and price it accordingly. I believe each tape will be properly mastered.

They'll do the best they can with it. That's if it happens at all.

It's only with mp3 downloads that they make the tapes sound worse and Dylan look bad.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    rihajarvi likes this.
  7. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Yes.

In the 1980s the live mix soundboard cassettes are pretty good. I wouldn’t say a huge difference by then.

What collectors generally get to hear via bootlegs on the rare occasions that something leaks out are far, far removed from the original tapes and quality does suffer with generational loss. There was a recent Minneapolis 1986 board tape that came out which is doubtlessly from a 2nd generation soundboard cassette tape. Very very good quality. They have stuff from various years in the 1980s in that quality.

Crispy Rob, Sean, Percy Song and 2 others like this.
  8. Richard--W

Regarding BS 13 Trouble No More, I just posted some photos I obtained from San Diego 1979 here:

Bob Dylan -- Live in San Diego '79

would someone kindly post the news in the BS 13 Trouble No More thread?
    thankyouverymuch.

LonesomeDayBlues and Critter like this.
  9. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Most of Neil Young's live archives releases from the 80s onwards are sourced (at least in part) from soundboard tapes and sound fantastic.

These aren't the raw soundboards, though: they've been "amped up" significantly during post-production. He's even been known on occasion to return to the original venue and play the recording back, giving him an authentic reverb track to add back into the dry recording.

Sean, Percy Song, Mbd77 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

That is a lot, isn’t it?

I have no specific information about this, but I do know that 1966 is unlikely to be the only ‘complete’ live box to be released, and the most likely tour to be released in the same or similar way is 1975. It might be a curated set, with the remaining material as a download, or a ‘collector’s edition’ via bobdylan.com or a volume 1 followed by volume 2 later on. I don’t know. I’d be surprised though if they wait until 2025, less than 7 years time, to release the live 1975 material due to the EU copyright regulations. We’ll see.

There are other tours that probably deserve some kind of similar treatment, and of course the EU directive isn’t going anywhere soon, so they still have to use it or lose it. I can imagine letting the 1974 audience recordings fall out of copyright for example, but not the soundboards.

11. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

Did someone mention "Clinton Heylin", aka Mr Honesty and Truth? If he said X then.....lol
    Whatever happened to Ian Woodward. Or the Dylanologist who took some tapes from Rundown after Bob accidentally erased by putting in the garbage can? Cant recall his name had a fanzine and rented a place across the street from Rundown when he found out Dylan was there.

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  12. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

I like this thinking. I know Tour '74 isn't everyone's cuppa soup, but the nerd inside of me needs things to be in order. The '66 box followed by a '74 box is more orderly in my world. Not that I'll run a mile from '75 and '76 boxes, obviously.

But what happened to "Dylan at the Gaslight", I wonder? Kicked into the long grass because of the rush-release of "Live 1962-1966" maybe, or perhaps because Richard hasn't finalised his book.

No matter, I think I'll still be deep inside the BS14 blood bank whenever the next instalment of concert bricks, copyright collections or Bootleg Series releases come around.

Sean, CRadtke, asdf35 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

All this talk of 75-76.....

I want something like 1999, maybe a box of the Spring European tour or the Fall USA tour (with all the varying setlists)

14. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Maybe I don't know what I'm listening for, but I'm quite happy with the sound quality of the Nagra '66 shows and all the board tapes included on Trouble No More. I think they sound just about as good as any archival live stuff from the era can be expected to sound. I'm not even sure multi-track is always better. But, I also don't want to fight about this. :)

15. Richard--W

[​IMG]

redsock, NumberEight and adriatikfan like this.
  16. Richard--W

I wouldn't mind a brick of 1974 concerts.

Dylan sets only.

After the 1965 concerts are attended to, of course.

redsock and matt79rome89 like this.
  17. bobfan

bobfan Forum Resident

I agree! I’m past the point where I need every note Dylan recorded. I bought the ‘66 release because it was so reasonably priced, but I didn’t get all the way through it. I imagine a lot was recorded for Rolling Thunder judging by what has surfaced officially or unofficially. I’ll buy whatever they put out!

RoyalPineapple likes this.
  18. bobfan

bobfan Forum Resident

I’m not saying the board tapes are ‘bad’ but personally I prefer the crisper sound of the properly mixed and mastered multi tracks; whether that’s London, Manchester ‘66, or Toronto 1980.

19. Adam Ryan Watson.

Adam Ryan Watson. Well-Known Member

I know they won't sound as good as a multitrack but I thought it was stated that the rolling thunder soundboards are not just recordings of the p a feed but were actually given a dedicated balanced mixed for the recoding unlike the 66 tapes which were just tapes of the p a mix. So basically the rolling thunder board tapes may have done like the greatful dead betty boards . S properly mixed soundbaord sounds far better then an foh board tape although still not as good as a multitrack .

Richard--W and Mbd77 like this.
  20. Adam Ryan Watson.

I thought there was a 1996 concert recorded .maybe Atlanta .

21. bobfan

bobfan Forum Resident

Yeah. One of the guys who worked on Oh Mercy mixed some tracks that were on CD singles for Time Out Of Mind. I hope he did the whole gig because what was released sounded great. There’s also Woodstock ‘94 of course. MTV ‘94, The Supper Club 1993 to name but a few.

subtr likes this.
  22. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

I think there was that, the Supper Club (1993) and MTV Unplugged (1994) that were fully recorded. I would guess Woodstock 2, too. I'd have thought there would be others and certainly over the last 20 years, with digital desks and cheap hard driver, I can't see why the board isn't recorded every single night for review purposes. It's no problem at all to individually record each track for mixing later, even.

23. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

Ah, you beat me to it!

24. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

This was supposed to be a Japan only live album in early 1997 but was scrapped. I imagine because the last album was Unplugged a couple of years earlier but who knows. Apart from the tracks on the 1998 cd singles, this mix remains unheard. The bootleg video/cd is not the same mix and there are obvious production differences - Boots Of Spanish Leather has an edit, for example.
    I believe that Dylan was already working with Daniel Lanois at the point that the live album was in production, and it was primarily mixed by Lanois’ associate Mark Howard. I think if it were released it would’ve probably been credited to Lanois/Howard for production.

I’m also of the opinion (and I have my reasons) that there’s a whole album of covers of songs by people associated with Dylan, produced by Daniel Lanois just prior to the ‘Time Out Of Mind’ sessions moving to original songs, and that it may have been the intention to release that before ‘Time Out Of Mind’, but that’s another story...

LonesomeDayBlues, AGimS, Sean and 5 others like this.
  25. Adam Ryan Watson.

Most of the
    Most of the 1966 box set is taken from the sound board and were recorded by Richard Alderson who was the soundman on that tour. Trouble no more has a lot of stuff sourced from the board . Or are you saying all of the circulating dylan board tapes came from bootleggers patching into the board. There are several board tapes from the 88 tour in circulation . Most band's record every show from the board . They cost nothing to make and if you just record
    There are no audience recordings on trouble no more . Everything is from the soundboard or from the multitracks. Everything from 79 and 80 except Toronto are taken from the board . Some of the 81 stuff is from the board as well. There are also several board tapes from the 88 tour in circulation . Or are you saying they are from fans tapping into the board with an unauthorized patch . There is Some soundbaord material from 97 circulating as well. Were they not putting up live board tapes on bob dylan.com on the late 90s . I just listens to a sound board compilation from 97 just recently which is not official . The dyaln organization has stated they have board tapes from the rolling thunder tour as well. The 1966 set was mostly from the soundboard as well although that was brought about by the filming . Almost every band makes board tapes off every show . They cost nothing to make and if they just record the house mix they require next to no effort . I doubt all of the circulating soundbaord material both official and unofficial come from illegal taps into the soundboard .

Richard--W likes this.