Burning SACD iso's to DVD-R's - how is that even possible?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by C6H12O6, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenn

Kenn New Member

Thanks. I think I will levae the Oppo 93 outputting DSD and let the Pioneer convert DSD - PCM.

2. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

The better choice might be to feed the Analog outputs of the Oppo into your receiver. That way it actually gets a proper DSD-> Analog conversion at least.

3. Kenn

Kenn New Member

Using the 5.1 of the analog?

2 for Front L/R
    2 for Rear L/R
    1 for Centre
    1 for Subwoofer?

4. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

If your receiver has a 6 channel analog direct option, then yes. If not, then you could at least send the front L&R to an open stereo input so that you might hear 2-Channel SACDs getting optimally converted.

5. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

According to this AVSForum thread, the chip in your SC-05 receiver isn't capable of decoding DSD, so it has to convert to PCM. I have no idea how accurate this information is, but in case this helps you:

List of AV Receivers & Pre/Pros with Pure DSD to Analog Processing - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

6. Kenn

Kenn New Member

Thanks guys. I will try the 2 ch analogue from Oppo 93 to AVR, for 2 channel SACD's. And compare.

By the way is 2 channel SACD much higher res than a redbook CD?

7. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I don't have the data to refute your "most A/V receiver DO CONVERT DSD to PCM 'though they don't state it" claim, but I can say that my Denon AVR-4311CI receiver specifically states that it is capable of converting DSD digital into analog, without any PCM conversion along the way, when DIRECT or PURE DIRECT mode is used.

Page 29 of the owner's manual states:

DSD DIRECT on my Denon receiver works for both 2-channel stereo DSD and Multi-Channel surround DSD.

I share your understanding that DSD isn't compatible with signal processing such as room correction (e.g., Denon's Audyssey processing).

Craig.

8. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Super Audio CD - Wikipedia

Higher resolution? Yes, according to the specs above. Audible difference? No, according to the research cited on the Wikipedia article. YEMV. (Your Ears May Vary.) :-D

Craig.

quicksrt likes this.
  9. Kenn

Kenn New Member

Thanks Craig. Only reason I'm trying out SACD is the multi channel :) And just bought a Oppo 93 for my movies but at the same time play around with SACD :)

10. Yes, SACD offers the potential for much better sound quality in two channels. Ask Steve Hoffman himself.

11. Kenn

Kenn New Member

Thanks. I’m using oppo to output dsd to my pioneer avr which converts to pcm. I have selected pure direct on pioneer and for 2 channel sacd my subwoofer still is active. Is this normal?

12. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Generally yes but it depends on your settings. It sounds like you're using the analog outs on the Oppo. If so, it sounds like the subwoofer is set to "on" in the Oppo speaker settings. Is the subwoofer output being fed directly to your sub or through your AVR? If directly to your sub, then the Oppo is handling the bass management instead of your AVR, so you'd tweak settings in the Oppo to manage the bass output (meaning bass only in the L+R or with the L+R and the sub).

13. That's why I say "most", not all. Pure Multichannel DSD is a hassle, all you can adjust without converting to PCM are channel levels, no room correction, so in your case this means no Audissey, no bass management or channel delay as pure DSD, to do all that the DSD stream coming from an SACD disc or a DSD file has to be converted to PCM and I have never seen any brand stating at what PCM resolution they are converting DSD for processing and later D/A conversion.
    The D/A converters on my Pioneer SC LX-76 are capable of native DSD conversion but that feature is just not used, and my Pioneer SC LX-76 from 2012 was sold with the Elite badge in the US, it only had one model on top of it on the premium range of that year, so it wasn't a cheap receiver.
    I wonder how many A/V receivers from current ranges do actually convert DSD natively.

14. Kenn

Kenn New Member

Hi,

I'm actually using HDMI from oppo to AVR not analogue. On the Oppo I have set SACD to output via DSD to the AVR.

Subwoofer is fed directly to AVR

Cheers,
    K.

15. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Ah! Well then your AVR is handling the bass management. If you set the subwoofer to "off" on your AVR setup, it would send all the bass to your speakers (and vice versa). Personally I like having some added (subtle) bass during stereo playback. How much bass you get out of the sub in this situation depends on where you set the crossover frequency (which tells the AVR "all bass signal below X Hz will be sent to the sub instead of my left and right speakers) and of course the volume you have the sub set to. It can be challenging to find the right balance for your system, room, etc. I'm wrestling with this myself as I just got a new AVR and new speakers, so I'm trying to dial in that "sweet spot" again. I'm also playing with using the Oppo (UDP-203) as the DAC (meaning analog out - 7.1 channels) versus the AVR's DAC to see what I prefer.

16. Kenn

Kenn New Member

Ok thanks. Yes I would love to have some light bass so maybe I will leave subwoofer on. Crossover is set at 80Hz. Please let us know your outcome on which you choose :)

jhm likes this.
  17. Captain Rogers

Captain Rogers Forum Resident

Can anyone confirm that the Pioneer BDP-62FD can play SACD-R? I've heard mixed things and can't get a solid answer. I heard it can, it can through a network, I have an opportunity to obtain one but confirmation on SACD-R playback would encourage me to make the purchase.

18. This was the only list I knew of that attempted to catch all SACD-R players. But it stopped getting maintained a couple of years ago, so it's likely incomplete.

sacd-ripper/sacd-ripper .

Here's an older forum thread on the Pioneer.

Pioneer Elite Series BDP-62FD BluRay + SACD + DVD-A + etc player $199 @ BestBuy

quicksrt and Captain Rogers like this.
  19. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

After A/Bing both quite a bit, I've gone with using the DAC in the Marantz as opposed to the Oppo as I just think it sounds a bit better. This could very much be attributed to the fact that I did the full Audyssey setup with the Marantz and I employ the room corrected EQ settings of that software.

20. Captain Rogers

Captain Rogers Forum Resident

21. Do you know that Audyssey processing is done on PCM domain and most likely at red book resolution?

22. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I did not. Thank you!

Kiko1974 likes this.
  23. All processing done to a DSD signal is done on PCM, bass management, channels delay and of course room correction. And most A/V receivers try to hide as much as possible the fact that if one wants to enjoy a true Hi Res reproduction of a DSD or a Hi Res PCM source the "Source Direct"mode must be on.

PhantomStranger and jhm like this.
  24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

And DSP off!

jhm likes this.
  25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

That model is not on the list. It's doubtful.

But I would like to grab a used Pioneer or Sony or Denon from that list and have a go. The idea of burning SACD-Rs is just so alluring ain't it!

Must be some working units found cheap on the bay huh?

I have a hard drive loaded to the max with massive ISO collection I've saved from rippin' etc. such fun stuff especially if one does surround.

I really wonder if any of the known units that rip SACD also play back burned SACD-R?

Captain Rogers likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.