Things you miss from old tv shows that you don’t see anymore?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gill-man, Aug 15, 2018.

1. joefont

joefont Senior Member

And he would probably say peni5!

fr in sc likes this.
  2. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Originality.

j_rocker, Matthew Tate and Michael like this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

really funny clean comedy

Motorcity supernaut and j_rocker like this.
  4. Michael

indubitably!

5. Michael

IMO, not on over the air network TV...not by a long shot.

6. Michael

Real, Real, Real, Real, Real Manly Men...

7. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Oh yeah, I totally agree with you there. It's mostly garbage on network TV. :laugh: With a handful of exceptions, but yeah...we hardly watch network these days.

dan c

8. Michael

I thought so...so much garbage it stinks...I agree with you on the other stations...some good stuff.

9. Michael

I miss Herman Munster the best monster comedian ever!

10. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

NBC Peacock

SandAndGlass and Wombat Reynolds like this.
  11. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  12. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Yeah, I'll side with many here and say 'A proper opening title sequence'. Think about programs like 'Stingray', 'Alias Smith And Jones', 'Dr Who', 'The Prisoner', 'The Saint'. All had fabulous opening titles and songs.

Tim S, bmasters9 and HGN2001 like this.
  13. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Agreed about the theme songs. Music has always been a big part of my life and those little musical signatures became a big part of my television viewing life. I can remember the thrill of each September when new shows with new themes appeared - and even older shows got updated themes much of the time. Those British shows always seemed to have amazing theme tunes, like THE PRISONER and THE AVENGERS and even lesser known shows like MAN IN A SUITCASE.

One thing that really bugged me was when they'd show the end credits back in the sixties and an announcer would gab over top of the music. Yeah, probably the same big-voiced announcer I praised that said "This is CBS!" But at least we could hear the theme playing in the background.

The seventies made it worse as the control room would totally eliminate the theme music at the end credits while the announcer - or pre-recorded promo - took over the audio. As a result of that development, which continued well into the 80s and 90s, there are many series that had end-theme-tunes that I've never heard while they aired, and it's only on DVD or Blu that I'm finally hearing them. A modern-day example of that is STAR TREK ENTERPRISE. I'd never heard the end-title music until I got the Blu-ray set.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

And many shows from when I was a boy (the 80s) had just as good title tracks and sequences-- one major one, IMO, being that of Trapper John, M.D. (1979-86 CBS Sunday medical series w/the late, great Pernell Roberts as the titular doctor, Chief of Surgery at fictional San Francisco Memorial Hospital); the opening of that CBS medical series has ever been a favorite of mine because of all the color changes and other effects (see this example from the third season [1981-82]):

Vidiot likes this.
  15. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

One thing I’ve found interesting while revisiting classic shows on retro channels is that sometimes the full theme song was reserved for the end credits. Maverick and Have Gun Will Travel come to mind.

The diminution of the theme songs wasn’t an organic thing, it was an intentional policy move. I remember reading an article announcing such in, probably, the early 80’s, and I think it was discussing ABC’s new approach. They felt that by cutting down on the theme song and getting the audience right into the story, there was less chance of channel-flipping. They also redesigned end credits to transition into the next show as immediately as possible.

bmasters9 likes this.
  16. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

Which is another thing I miss about the television of my youth-- whenever a show ended, the credits and theme song would play (w/the logo(s) [or other mentions] of the entities behind that show [again, like Rona II/S-G/CPT on Hart to Hart on ABC], some network promos and assorted commercials, a local news sting for the 10 P.M. or 11 P.M. late edition, and the preview/opening/theme song of the next show [unless the show that just ended was the last one before the late edition, in which case the local news would start]).

17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The closing theme of Bewitched is a favorite of mine. It's a different version, with heavily echoed vibes and the arrangement is looser and more 'jazzy'.
    The end of I Spy is wonderful, with these cool descending chords:

SandAndGlass and bmasters9 like this.
  18. Andy Smith

Vote with your remote. It's a thing these days. Some gobshite will start talking over the end of your program to get you interested in the next thing they're showing. It's done with indecent haste. They shrink the credits to show teaser clips too. Sheer disrespect to those involved making the show. I mute them.

Wombat Reynolds and bmasters9 like this.
  19. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

Or vote with your dollars to getting the DVD releases of whatever series you like!

Andy Smith likes this.
  20. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

Whom I do TOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D And I love heart of Dixie and seeing her in anything else.

groundharp and j_rocker like this.
  21. Steve Carras

Hearing the same stock music as on Gumby, Yogi Bear, a few late 1958 Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies, tons of Nickelodeon 1990s shows, and many TV shows and B movies of the 1950s..a.k.a. the Capitol Recoirds libary owned by exec.John Seely..it owned ThemeCraft, Hormel/S.Moore's Bistro-Lesmor, EMI Photoplay , Music-Que, and scores (pun!!!!) of others, and also distibuted stuff such as most notably Jack Shaindlin's Langlois. In turn these had often very well-known composers like Themcraft's (yes, the!) David Rose, and Jo Caccioloa(sp?), ; EMI Photoplay was UK compsoer Phil Green's music exclusively, far as I know; the Shaindlin library also had Lou Applebaum, Rick DuPage and others. Many 1950s-60s TV shows, even some 70s use them...so I'll hear n a sitcom a piece use on Huckelberry Hound or the stone age Bugs Bunny?Elmer Fudd cartoon..
    All of that can be confusing..

And black and white..

22. Steve Carras

I mentioned something about the background music in those..

23. Andy Smith

'Dr Who' in the Troughton & Hartnell eras were far more frightening as they were filmed & aired in black & white.

24. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

I miss the days when independent stations would do their own promos for the syndicated/rerun shows they broadcasted. For example, they'd say something along the lines of "Catch the Brady Bunch every night at 5 pm!" and show the same three clips of Peter scorching Alice with the toy volcano, the vase getting smashed by the basketball and the Brady pie-fight scene. I think WLVI used the same promo commercial for the better part of ten years.

25. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Pay attention..plot...acting,got it?