Frank Zappa Song By Song Thread (1966-96)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Aug 21, 2018.

1. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

Well then, let's give the basic tracks a listen . . .

Rne and Zoot Marimba like this.
  2. mcchocchoc

and here's a version recorded in Cucamonga sometime in 1963.

3. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Any Way the Wind Blows

The vocal melody is great on this song and Ray puts in a memorable performance. I just love that guitar chord that comes right as the chorus hits. This song is surprisingly "normal" - melodically, vocally, musically, there's no snark (or snorks) or sarcasm. It's a solid song that's incredibly singable. Shows that the Mothers could play something "normal" when they wanted and they'd excel at it.

4. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

Anyway The Wind Blows

Definitely one of my favorite tracks off this album. Also sounded great live in 1971 and 1975. The intro is incredibly memorable and Ray is awesome as always (RIP).

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  5. Frittenköter

this one is great too IMO (a very different arrangement).

1980 10 13 Phoenix

this runs slightly fast though.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

On one early 1980 rehearsal tape there is a version of "You Didn't Try To Call Me" with FZ doing a monologue at the end like the Freak Out version. I couldn't find it on YouTube.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  7. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

I’m Not Satisfied:

I’m Not Satisfied, Which Frank seemed to not care much about, as he said little other than it being designed as safe.
    The song has a cool little riff that has quite a bit of bite to it and Jimmy lays down a strong beat as always. Admittedly, I don’t have a ton to say about this song, but it’s an enjoyable tune while listening to the record. It’s filler, but killer filler.

mark winstanley and Rne like this.
  8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I love the lyrics of "I'm not Satisfied". Nice vocal work by Frank and Ray. That silly "yeeeah" always makes me laugh. This version expresses anger and resentment.
    The Ruben arrangement, which is completely different, is much more interesting, features a fine fine superfine vocal performance by Mr. Collins, and oozes an atmosphere of self-pity and resignment.
    The lyrics, is worth noting, are exactly the same in both cases.

9. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

You Didn’t Try To Call Me; I could relate to this so much as a youngster; arranging a date with a girl who then backed out and never rang. It was like the song was written for my specific situation, all the way down to my interest in the girl being shallow and for ego gratification only. Zappa’s bathetic complaints into the uncaring ether on the fade hit hard in their poignancy! I can just imagine the Latino greaser guy sitting frustrated by his car as the sun sets.

ronm, mcchocchoc and Zoot Marimba like this.
  10. mcchocchoc

I'm Not Satisfied. Another tight little number. As much as I enjoy this song, I prefer the Ruben arrangement. That said, I love all M.O.I. music and this verison is spiffy. Frank must have dug this song, as it was played live on and off through 1976.

Here's a live take from 1966.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  11. mcchocchoc

12. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

It was also performed with the Petit Wazoo band at the concert I attended (not this one but the same arrangement).

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The 1974 to 76 "I'm Not Satisfied" had Napoleon Murphy Brock on vocals. In fall 75/winter 76 it was part of a medley including "How Could I Be Such A Fool" and "I Ain't Got No Heart." I can enjoy it but some find Brock's vocals too bombastic. It is notable for featuring a lot of FZ on rhythm guitar, which would become rare after 1976.

By contrast, the 1972 "I'm Not Satisfied" (played much slower than in 1974-76) had FZ on low-key vocals that were kind of boring but more similar to the Freak Out version.

ajsmith and Zoot Marimba like this.
  14. Zoot Marimba

I can kind of see that, but I personally love Nappy’s vocals, there’s such a great gusto and presence there; great singer and frontman and without a doubt one of my favorite post 60s members.

Also, yeah, I wish Frank hadn’t stopped playing rhythm, he was an awesome rhythm player, and I might go as far to say that was his greatest strength as a guitarist.

rufus t firefly likes this.
  15. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Much as I adore FZ in general and this album, I'm Not Satisfied feels like a throwaway, or a sketch for one of the much better songs on Absolutely Free.

Cheevyjames and Zoot Marimba like this.
  16. Zoot Marimba

I defintely can’t disagree with you; I don’t mind the song, it has good elements but it doesn’t seem as fully realized as a lot of other tracks on here.

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  17. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

I'm Not Satisfied

It's not bad, but filler in my view. I like the guitar playing and there are some interesting chord changes. Mostly it's forgettable.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  18. Frittenköter

to the Catalogue i go! edit: it's 1980 02 xx 21.41..... (the one with over 15 minutes of You Didn't Try To Call Me and then some bits of Little Rubber Girl and Pick Me I'm Clean.

i also wish he had actually played the 1980 reworking of Fountain of Love in concert.

As for I'm Not Satisfied, the 1975/1976 versions kind of ruined this song for me. Not much to say really except for SCREEEEEECH. It's lame-o funk rock, not the good kind.

ajsmith and Zoot Marimba like this.
  19. Zoot Marimba

You’re Probably Wondering Why I’m Here:

You’re probably wondering why I’m here now. Well to review this song from the perspective of a performer sneering at his audience.
    The song begins with a punchy, gutsy riff, some really good rhythm playing, the bass and marimba coming in around :07 to provide countermelody, all while Jimmy locks down the feel on drums. Ray does a strong vocal, with him and Frank snarking all the way through the track about the vapid nature of their audience, along with a poke at the then-standard Of Caravan with a sola.
    This is definitely better than the previous song, and a strong album track.

20. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Hilarious song. I'd never heard Caravan, with or without drum solo. But maybe that's not for me to say...

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  21. Zoot Marimba

I haven’t either, but that will change.

22. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Check out some live Duke Ellington recordings that have Caravan on them.

23. Zoot Marimba

Awesome.

24. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I'm so far behind on this thread already. I don't know if I'll be able to catch up much until Tuesday or Wednesday though.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  25. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Love the smart a$$ snear in the lyrics. The Kazoos give the otherwise bubble gum sounding music the same kind of smart a$$ vibe as the lyrics. Good stuff.

mcchocchoc and Zoot Marimba like this.