Interpol - LP6 "Marauder" August 24, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DorothyV, Jun 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

That’s funny!

The band is live on Facebook album launch right now - fyi

jamesc and Dave 81828384 like this.
  2. Loup

Loup Ancient Wool Unraveller

Just about to check it out…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JeffMo and jamesc like this.
  3. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Listening on Spotify, love the drums, sounds like a live recording.

4. vulcangascompany

vulcangascompany Forum Resident

Rough Trade Bristol - yeah! Good to see some promo for the 'pol.

[​IMG]

5. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Quoting myself...

Turns out my ears are quite messed up. Some sort of congestion/pressure (hoping allergies and not a cold). Every once in a while they pop and I can hear better. Not the best way to judge an album's sound. :laugh:

6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Berlin has some really huge posters for it. Getting it tomorrow!

vulcangascompany likes this.
  7. Neonbeam

So. Pitchfork gives the usual mediocre review (... and puts you in the underground for a while:evil:) but at Metacritic it holds 72 ("El Pintor": 75).

A friend who usually like Interpol found the album "underwhelming and average", the guy at the record store - I just picked it up - said it was their best since "Antics" and he was surprised how the limited edition sold out over the weekend. Something that didn't happen with "El Pintor". And I? I guess I will play my copy tonight!!!!

8. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Whereas, having only recently listened to El Pintor for the first time, it definitely sounded like an Interpol album on first listen, Marauder on first listen, to my ears, is the least-Interpol sounding album of their career.

Looking forward to further listens and seeing the band live on Wednesday night.

Neonbeam likes this.
  9. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Has anyone picked up the Japanese edition of Marauder? I'm curious if the instrumental bonus track Number 11 is just an instrumental version of Number 10 or an entirely new track.

10. Neonbeam

One spin of the EU cream vinyl, the pressing is great, no unwanted noises.

As for the music, I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I think it does sound like Interpol, the production is a bit "rougher" and atmosphere-wise "Marauder" reminded me of "Antics". As usual these sounds need time to grow but for a first aural encounter this was actually nice. Yeah, it's not the album of the year, that would be the new Paul McCartney but it seems like a worthwhile addition to the discography. And probably as far as Interpol are likely to get out of their comfort zone. :evil:

All in all, it's the same procedure like with every new Interpol record. If you like the band, I'm afraid you'll have to check "Marauder" out for yourself. Opinions are likely to be divided on this.:evil:

11. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

I've heard a few samples on Amazon and qobuz and confused as they sounded nothing like each other. The qobuz samples were very bright and very distorted, and the Amazon ones were like A M radio. Can anyone tell me which is more accurate. It's the distortion on the drums i just cant bear.

12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I walked by the Orpheum today in downtown Boston and it showed Interpol gig on the marquee.

Neonbeam and Dave 81828384 like this.
  13. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Got my tickets for September 12th. They are great live.

JeffMo likes this.
  14. Neonbeam

Yes. They are.

15. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

jamesc likes this.
  16. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

Can anyone who has the US cream vinyl comment on the sound/pressing quality? I'm skeptical of GZ, and may ditch my still sealed copy of this pressing and seek the UK one instead.

17. Neonbeam

£17 including postage. I guess I'll skip this.

18. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

My pressing is pretty good, but I would love to hear the difference between the DMM and lacquer cuts.

punkmusick likes this.
  19. emollerstuen

emollerstuen Forum Resident

I have it. It sounds like an entirely new track. A bit of an instrumental rave up.

jamesc and Maurice like this.
  20. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

+1. great album, very good pressing.

21. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I received my red vinyl copy from Matador but haven't had a chance to spin it yet. My runout matches what's listed on Discogs and it suggests that this is a lacquer cut by Joe Nino-Hernes: Interpol - Marauder

I don't know if the record encountered particularly aggressive postal workers along the way or if the jacket material is thinner than usual but the inner sleeve was torn through on two sides and the spine of the outer cover has been breached by the record as well so you might want to avoid this release if that sort of thing bugs you. The mailer used by Matador was excellent as always so that didn't seem to be a contributing factor. It does include a download card for 320k mp3s.

Neonbeam likes this.
  22. Neonbeam

"Marauder" gave me time to think about important facts like what an Interpol members needs to take with him on tour. Does four jackets, four trousers and seven white shirts sound about right? (Sam probably needs seven full sets.) "Now that you've seen me at work, are you excited dear?" :evil:

Three spins and I'm really enjoying "Marauder", it totally sounds like vintage Interpol. "El Pintor" was really good too.

23. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

@Neonbeam your enthusiasm for Marauder is keeping me going as the album still hasn't clicked with me yet.

Having said that, the band did a cracking show last night at a small night club venue in South London. Really good mix of songs from all albums (mainly Marauder and Antics) and the band were in fine form.

Pop_Zeus, Neonbeam and twicks like this.
  24. putney_swope

putney_swope Forum Resident

I really started enjoying it around my third play through, so worth keeping at it. Not sure how I would rank it yet other than better than the self titled.

25. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Yeah, this is not clicking for me beyond the first few songs...probably because my ears are badly fatigued by maybe the 4th track. And I am not typically one to complain about excessive mastering levels.

DotKom11 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.