Nick Drake Appreciation - Album By Album & All Things Nick Drake*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I can’t promise I will be able to take part regularly but excellent idea for a thread.

It wasn’t until the last year that I started really digging into Nick, but I had known about him for some time as people always talked about him. And god, just such a fantastic, timeless artist with that rare perfect discography.

2. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Elton-huge Nick Drake fan and even considered using him as a main writer before meeting Bernie Taupin. Obviously worked out for him, but it’s a shame because that arrangement would have been quite ideal for Nick I’m sure.

3. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I found in my files a BBC radio audio doc about Nick under their Kaleidoscope title, 'Nick Drake Unsung'... very good if you can find it. Aired in 1997.

alexpop and Zoot Marimba like this.
  4. eatthecheese

eatthecheese Forum Resident

Nick Drake is so great, his music is truly timeless and magical. What's amazing to me about “Time Has Told Me” is how it sounds so wise beyond his years.

5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Couldn't have had a better intro, than the last track on The Greater Antilles Sampler, mailed to the first radio station I worked at out of college (before I even knew I was going to stay with radio). They had a cabinet in the back of ignored promo albums, perhaps awaiting the cabinet to overflow before carting them all out to the dumpster. It was then I realized, for an industry in the business of music...they didn't really know much about it (heh - I was 22...neighther did I). Their "ignorance" led to the greatest adrenaline my music collection had received up to then. But it was this, I dunno, whatever this "Antilles" thing was, down in the bottom of a stack, that sent me on my biggest quest. I'd already decided to take it home, because I at long last had a copy of Porsmouth Sinfonia's destruction of the "Hallelujah Chorus", and I left it playing in the back studio; where, sometime around 4am, happened to catch me passing by, and hearing some of the sweetest chords, keyboard and guitar and other instruments, with this barely-audible stoner singing something about a "Northern Sky".

Don't need to tell you it was the most beautiful thing I had ever heard working late Saturday nights on my first radio station off of an unfamiliar compilation album, walking past the back studio.

By the second time I played it...it of course became the most beautiful thing I had ever heard period.

And, armed with absolutely no knowledge of who that was, or what I'd just heard, I began a trek literally across the country, to, if not find an album by this will-o-the-wisp, but to find out who the fnorck was this guy. Every town I visited, I also visited a record store. Every store I found a Drake album, I'd take it to the cashier, and ask if he knew anything about this fella. Every time I got a blank stare, that just steeled me for the next town, the next store. And this went on, from Indiana to Idaho, and back, and along my paths in radio for the next few years, practically all the way until CD's took off. But by then, I was finally the resident "expert"...of, maybe 2 or 3 facts about Nick Drake. Oh, there were the highs, like Fruit Tree by mail order, and hearing Elton John (!) had recorded some of his songs (mmmmm, don't bother...), and, before even the innernet, finding libraries where one could learn about people named "Drake", happening upon Nine of Swords, hearing a suddenly familiar song on a Volkswagen commercial, and, well, stuff just kept weaving in and out of the thread of my life so you'll just have to trust me. It was time well spent, and time spent, well-enjoyed.

And yes, time has told me..almost four decades later...he was that rare, rare find.

6. Desolation Row

Desolation Row Forum Resident

I too really appreciate this thread. And like some contributors, it will be difficult for me to comment much. The influence of Nick and his music on my life has been so overwhelming and personal, practically spiritual. I just completed one of my annual 2-3 week obsessions with him, during which virtually all I do is listen to his music, read about him, and play his songs on guitar.

I will try to chime in, if not often with personal impressions of his music, then at least with any biographical, historical, and contextual insights that might make a productive contribution. My adoration began in 1994 with the release of the Way to Blue: An Introduction to Nick Drake anthology. From there I quickly purchased the Fruit Tree box set, and a near mint original US pressing of Pink Moon, which remains the emotional cornerstone of my vinyl collection. I even wear a Witchseason tattoo. As personal as my reception of his music is, I've always been happy to celebrate and share him with others. I made many a Nick Drake mix tape or CDR in my time.

I don't think anyone has yet mentioned Joe Boyd's White Bicycles as a compelling source on Nick and his music. I know some fans have mixed feelings about Joe's handling of Nick, but I like the impresario quite a bit. (I think Joe himself harbors conflicted feelings about his handling of Nick's career.)

"Cello Song," from Five Leaves Left and the lead track on the aforementioned Way to Blue compilation, hooked me before Nick's vocals even emerged from the raga-like rise-to-attention guitar, cello, and conga intro.

And "River Man"... well, an example of how I'll struggle between typing far too many paragraphs or just sitting back and enjoying what others bring to share.

7. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I can't sleep this night. I'm up at 3 am fooling around on the internet and naturally I end up here. I found this thread yesterday, but in the course of a busy day I had forgotten about it. Stumbling across it though and listening to Time Has Told Me alone and in the dark, reading the lyrics along with it, is a very powerful thing. I came to Nick Drake 10 or 12 years ago. I was looking at a website - Rate Your Music or something - with a list of the 1000 greatest albums of all time. I'm pretty full of myself you know, especially when it comes to music. But there, at #5 was Five Leaves Left. How can this be, the 5th greatest album of all time and I have absolutely no knowledge of it or its performer. My library had it though, and on the very first listen I had to sit down, stop what I was doing, and listen very intently. I don't think I'd ever been as affected by a piece of music like I was that day. The Beatles had made me feel extreme joy, Nick Drake made me incredibly sad, but in a way that I wanted to feel over and over again. I am fortunate enough to have a spouse who pays attention and it wasn't long before she gifted me the Fruit Tree box set, which I promptly overdosed on. Next month we are making a pilgrimage to Liverpool and London, a trip I have waited my entire life to take. On the middle Sunday of our trip, we will drive up to Tanworth in Arden, take in mass at St Mary Magdalene church, and then pay our respects.

8. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

You're giving me goosebumps. Thanks for the story of your journey.

In fact I love all the posts by you all. Can't think of another thread I've posted, or read, by another that I actually have read several times, start to newest post. I've been thinking of starting this thread for a while, but was sure there must already be one like it. To my surprise, no.

So happy to be here with you all, immersed in Nick's music. I was about to say "enjoying", but that is way to shallow and vastly understates what we all seem to feel for Nick and his music.

[​IMG]

9. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Wow, beautiful posts you guys. Music for me is a deeply empathetic experience that enriches the soul and brings me close to the person who recorded it. Nick's music obviously has that special kind of magic that touches the very soul for many listeners, myself included. I'm tearing up just reading your thoughts!

10. lemonade kid

Me too. This is fast becoming my favorite thread...

11. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

Nicks mum wrote songs also, and his sister was was a film and tv star here in the UK.

12. lemonade kid

One last bit of info and perspective on Nick's albums and "Five Leaves Left" specifically. Joe Boyd was very strong in his conviction that recording music should be, as much as possible, a live, full ensemble performance. He feels that when each player's part is recorded in isolation, that the final result is flat , and when mixed into the whole, too manipulated.

Boyd's production technique for Nick's albums, for the most part, are recorded with every player, 20 piece string sections included, live in studio. With exceptions: additional parts (Bert Jansch's guitar & Paul Harris' piano 0n track one, and piano or 'cello parts, and some strings (not all) were recorded and added later). This gives a much warmer and open feel to the overall album. On vinyl that is. Boyd expressed frustration with the advent of CDs, which aren't conducive to the "open sound" he gets in his studio with reverb panels placed in unique positions (the metal panels used for thunder effects in old movies) and twelve foot ceilings in large rooms. Plus recording in isolation to Joe, drains the emotional high and adrenaline rush from recording live with a full ensemble. All the moments slightly out of tune anomalies and blips that occur in a live performance are unnoticeable because the overall effect is so nice and warm when there is that live, of the moment performance. The advent of 8 track, 16 or now 48 track mixing drains that old 4 track magic for the kind of artist that Nick was. Recording each part 'til each is "perfect", doing all the things they can do now with pitch and speed, draining the performance, and robbing the artist of actually having to give a "human" and real performance...it is often in effect a computer generated result. That may be why so many artists are returning to the old analog live studio ways.

Knowing that Nick actually sang and played guitar with all (or most) of the accompanying players, live, in studio, makes his albums that much more amazing and special. I wish we had some stills of those studio sessions.

[​IMG]

Whew. Anyway, back to my original reason for this post. More info on backup artists for each track. I'll get these into one post next time, though there is something to be said for building to the climax with hints and bits...

It may be that my "complete live performance" bits above are ill timed (though Nick and guitar are always live and recorded in the same take) since the first two tracks are recorded in two or three sessions. One remarkable note is that these tracks were recorded in such a short time frame. Often, the players had no idea what song they were playing until they entered the studio. Nick would show them the cords and the way he wanted it to sound on piano or bass, then they would take off (the strings would be provided with the arrangements by Kirby or Harry Robinson).

One relatively short evening session, four tracks were recorded. Complete. All were used for inclusion in this album. Amazing.

1. Time Has Told Me

live:
    Nick Drake-vocals, acoustic guitar
    Danny Thompson-bass

recorded & added later:
    Richard Thompson-electric guitar at Trident Studios, London
    Paul Harris-piano (because Joe felt there were no good piano players in England in the style Nick's songs needed), recorded in NYC

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2018
  13. Desolation Row

Desolation Row Forum Resident

Yes! Love your important elaboration on this. Joe has mentioned that watching Nick record "River Man," specifically, live with the string players half-arced around him, is his most cherished studio memory.

14. Margrave

Margrave I'll Give It 5

I've been a ND fan since his first album was released and I heard it playing in my local record shop.
    One artist I would loved to have seen play live.
    Used to love watching his sister on the telly in the 70s.

15. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

The NME article by Nick Kent that I mentioned upthread was my introduction to him, and I jumped on the Antilles reissues when they came out in 1976 (I think). Funny thing is, I was immersed in the CBGB scene at that point and his music felt even more outside when pushed up against the musical noise bouncing around my head. But a song like "Time Has Told Me" had the ability to stop me in my tracks, not only because of my own mental state at that time, but because I had found a troubled cure in that dive of a bar. One of those songs that felt like it was written just for me. The songs were all heavily melancholy, but the music had such a light touch that nothing about it felt oppressive. Quite the opposite actually, it made me feel as if, in articulating how I felt, Drakes music lifted a part of the burden from me, if only for a short time. He was a one off and his music will always find an audience that will listen to those first few notes on Five Leaves Left and recognize a kindred spirit who had figured out a way to find beautiful light in the midst of darkness..

16. HardTimesRoughLines

HardTimesRoughLines She learned me life is sweet and God is good

Great idea for a thread.

But shouldn't the quote read DT: double bass? This is his instrument of choice. And it is definitely Richard Thompson on the electric guitar and not Jansch.

Keep it up.

17. lemonade kid

Yes. I had the credits right in front of me and I still typed in Bert. (who I just love). Nad yes, Danny is a double bass guy (should have said that) but the liner notes only said bass--so I mechanically typed that.. Danny on wonderful double bass appeared with so many great artists. My favorite live clips are the Tim Buckley apperances on BBC with Danny on double bass. I've never seen anyone rock like Danny on double bass.

18. lemonade kid

2. River Man, Five Leaves Left
    We'll have a listen and a read-along with the lyrics first, please, then we can talk about how this unusual 5/4 time signature tune blew up everything I had expected from this album by Nick on first listen. Wonderful, timeless.

And yes, I was wrong once again...emotion gets the better of me. It was live, with orchestra. I 'll try to be better on the facts, as I can find them. Focus, LK.
    This from Joe Boyd: "...it was recorded live with Nick singing with the orchestra in the room. We did that in less than three hours!"

Oh, and the video provided by Island is worth a close watch too...brilliant and stunning.

posted by Island Records UK 2008

River Man by Nick Drake
    (music and lyrics by Nick Drake)

Betty came by on her way
    Said she had a word to say
    About things today
    And fallen leaves.

Said she hadn't heard the news
    Hadn't had the time to choose
    A way to lose
    But she believes.

Going to see the river man
    Going to tell him all I can
    About the plan
    For lilac time.

If he tells me all he knows
    About the way his river flows
    And all night shows
    In summertime.

Betty said she prayed today
    For the sky to blow away
    Or maybe stay
    She wasn't sure.

For when she thought of summer rain
    Calling for her mind again
    She lost the pain
    And stayed for more.

Going to see the river man
    Going to tell him all I can
    About the ban
    On feeling free.

If he tells me all he knows
    About the way his river flows
    I don't suppose
    It's meant for me.

Oh, how they come and go
    Oh, how they come and go.

by Nick Drake
    River Man lyrics © BMG Rights Management

Licensed to: UMG (on behalf of Late Night Tales); CMRRA, BMG Rights Management, UMPI,
    Youtube by: Abramus Digital, ARESA, and 7 Music Rights Societies

[​IMG]

19. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

Exactly how I was introduced to Nick Drake. I read the Mojo article and was too curious to not buy Way To Blue. Wow. By the end of Cello Song, I was in.

Nick's music, it evokes a time and place I've never even been to. It's dusky summer evenings in the tranquil English countryside. (I was working in Norfolk back in the early 00's and the Way To Blue compilation was my soundtrack to evenings sitting on the riverside, having a well earned refreshment or two, which probably makes me lean towards this feeling).

This is special music and Five Leaves Left (I think) is my favourite Nick Drake album, Side B is perfection, but I can't listen to it too often. Not because you can have too much of it, but just because it deserves your full attention every time and needs the right frame of mind.

And of course, a little goes a long way, especially with Nick Drake.

20. lemonade kid

Hopefully the mods can correct that "Bert on guitar" mistake for me, as requested.

21. lemonade kid

Not something that should ever be played as background music, indeed.

JPJs Bass Guitar likes this.
  22. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Wonderful post! I read it and watched the video with great attention. 'River Man' is an extraordinarily special song. I've not seen that video and you are quite right. It was beautiful. I love how they used still photography to simulate video of Nick. It added to the ephemeral nature of Nick. The fact that we only have still images adds to the feeling of him being of another time and another world. I really loved the end when they showed Nick disappearing against the lyrics "How they come and go." Quite moving and perfectly in keeping with his story.

I wish I could write something more about 'River Man,' but it seems a song beyond words. I'll just say that it moves me deeply and the string arrangement on this song is enough to make me weep. Really, really special music.

mikmcmee, Kundalini, Pop_Zeus and 3 others like this.
  23. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

I got heavily into The Incredible String Band first, then Fairport Convention by the mid 1980's, and from there started trying to get hold of everything Joe Boyd produced for his Witchseason company in the late sixties. Via this route I ran into Nick Drake.

A used copy of the original 'Fruit Tree' box came into the shop, and I thought I'd take a gamble.

Absolutely stunned. My first impression (from 'Time Has Told Me') was that he sounded somewhat similar to Donovan.

The second track ('River Man') just blew my head off.

That song didn't just get me into Nick, it also led to my love of Delius, Debussy and Ravel courtesy of Harry Robinson's string arrangement (apparently Nick wanted it to sound like 'Daphnis Et Chloe', I'm not sure it does, rather more like Delius), but - it's unbelieveable.

Genuine masterpiece, and yes, he did it live with the orchestra in Sound Techniques.

Another early memory (I was twenty) is having taped the first record I can recall sitting in my car waiting for my girlfriend to come out of work in Guildford, and 'Thoughts Of Mary Jane' comes in.....that string arrangement, it's SO beautiful. It's frozen in time.

Of the three LP's though it's the second that really gets me. The arrangements are stunning. I know it's slightly dated, but being someone who spent a lot of his childhood in central London, it just sounds like London as I remember it in the early seventies.

24. lemonade kid

In the Fruit Tree booklet, it is related that Nick wanted the arrangement to sound like Delius. Hence Joe got Harry Robinson to come in to Sound Technique to do the arranging--according to John Wood's notes, Robinson was able to imitate any composer, especially 20th century composers, (as recommended to Joe by (Sound Technique's engineer) John).

25. HardTimesRoughLines

HardTimesRoughLines She learned me life is sweet and God is good

Hey, man. Honest mistake. I've done far worse myself.

And no harm done as I see the Mods fixed it.

Nick Dunning likes this.