Black Crowes Recommendations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Interpolantics, Apr 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Got it on blackcrowes.com

ARK and tinnox like this.
  2. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

ARK and tinnox like this.
  3. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Not a chance in hell!

Having seen the Crowes in larger arenas, and also having seen the brothers separately in much smaller venues, the seem SO MUCH happier separate than together, even when playing to less people. They're past that crap. Heck, I saw Ford, just before he started his first tour with Magpie, play to maybe 40 people, and he was super stoked to and happy. At this point in their careers, it's not about the numbers, but about the few that are enthusiastic for what they're doing now. I think as musicians, that's more fulfilling than having to rely on songs you wrote 30 years ago.

4. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

I agree actually, but I think money in the end will seduce the brothers. Buisness is buisness, there is to much money on the table, if Slash and Axl can coexist enough to tour, the brothers in the end will. It is simply a matter of when not if. In my opinion.

tinnox likes this.
  5. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

With GnR it makes sense (they were huge), but the Crowes, even at their peak, weren't that huge, and they wouldn't be making that much more money together as they are separately. A little more, of course, but it would come at the cost of their happiness (both creatively and emotionally), and at this point in their lives, that's more important.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

The Robinson brothers have not spoken to each other in about 5 years.
    The Gallagher brothers have not spoken in 9 years.
    How long did Axl and Slash go without talking?

7. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

17 years or so.

California Couple likes this.
  8. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

[​IMG]

Jamming to this, great LP and looks good too

9. tak_a_tak

tak_a_tak Active Member

Wow, very pretty!! Mine is just plane ol black.

Matthew Tate and tinnox like this.
  10. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Sounds fantastic IMO

11. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

No it’s not. I bought SYMM on the day it came out based on a review in Kerrang magazine about the band and the pending release of their debut and I sawthem play a small, but very well know club called Toad’s Place in New Haven Connecticut before they even started having the hits. I was there from the beginning. TSAOC is average mid paced noodling with good to great songs but no classics. The Crowes needed a few hits after Amorica, which was brilliant but showed declining sales, and then TSAOC, which honestly was average at best and yielded no real hits and no real Crowes’ classics. BYS was the right album in their career arc, but launched at the wrong time based on the overall musical landscape. That album was pretty awesome through and through, with a few clunkers that should have been swapped for a few of the better b-sides. Even determining the “clunkers” is problematic in that based on the input from Crowes fans on this forum alone, people don’t really agree on which ones were the clunkers. I am not trying to be confrontational, you are entitled to your opinion, but when I see broad generalizations, I need to point it out. I love the Crowes and was there as part of their fan base from most likely before many to most on this thread. I like BYS, a lot, so your generalization is wrong. In fact, if someone said they liked SYMM and TSHAMC, and said “where do I go next”, I’d say Amorica, then BYS. If they liked SYMM and lost interest as the jammy aspects grew beginning with TSHAMC, I might well send them BYS directly. Based on their catalogue, some short, fast, poppy hits fit right in. I don’t get the animosity towards this album (though it would have surely been better with Marc Ford still onboard). ...but yes, the cover, while sort of cool, doesn’t do their sound and image justice.

ARK, Rocketdog and John Fell like this.
  12. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

The animosity arises from the Crowes selling out.
    Big label - check
    Kevin Shirley big production (sounds like Aerosmith) - check
    Songs picked by committee and not so much by the band - check
    (Quality of songs were not representative of the band as fans had known - in other words they sounded too commercialized)
    Cover art (very commercial) not very Crowes like - check

But hey - if you like your Crowes to sound like Aerosmith then you're free to like that.
    I personally don't.

Rockin' Robby and Desolation Row like this.
  13. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

You assume that everyone that likes By Your Side was not a fan from the beginning and that is just not true. It's my 3rd favorite Crowes album after the first 2.

MYQ1 and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

How do you know?

15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

You have stated it multiple times in the thread and anyone that likes By Your Side you ask if they were a fan from the beginning.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

I thought By Your Side was a welcome return to form.
    Love it.

John Fell and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

No - how do you know what I'm saying is not true?

18. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

To what? Commercialization?
    Yay! Let's hear it for an inferior Aerosmith!

19. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Because I am a fan from the beginning and I like By Your Side as did markelis in the above posts and that is just on this page.

20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The songs are catchier and they didn't use outside songwriters like Aerosmith. We get it that you like Marc Ford.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

my scope is bigger than this thread.

22. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I don't think they're catchy. It was a disappointing album. Kevin Shirley's production made them sound like Aerosmith. The album was LOUD!!

23. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i was a fan of the band since 1995 when i was 13. i like by your side a lot too. i owned the bands 4 albums before by your side came out. i would rate it my 3rd or 4th favorite release. i am the weirdo though who has lions in my top 3

John Fell likes this.
  24. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

So you are making assumptions that all "true" fans dislike anything after Marc Ford was fired.

25. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

13 in 1995? :laughup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.