The Mayans

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chazro, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident Thread Starter

The prequel to Sons Of Anarchy from Kurt Sutter premiers on Tues! I see Edward James Almos is part if it so that's a good sign. Unfortunately, I read that even though the timeframe of the show is pre-SOA, the show intends to address/touch upon the immigration problem. I understand that the problems have existed forever but Sons Of Anarchy was NOT a political show. I hope Sutter doesn't make a critical mistake. That said, really looking forward to some Sutter mayhem!;)

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Thinking it was a Kings Of The Sun type movie.

3. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Will give it a look for sure,
    was hoping for The First 9.

Lonson likes this.
  4. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

5. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I was hoping this would be a reality TV show about a family of real Mayans moving into a neighbourhood.

Scowl, Ignatius, Gumboo and 4 others like this.
  6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

this is not the prequel to SOA at all. as a matter of fact I saw this takes place AFTER the events of SOA not before it

7. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Sutter’s last show The Bastard Exacutioner was not very good. He was even saying it was not good after it was cancelled.

Bill Hart and GodShifter like this.
  8. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

That would be a tremendous premise... Basketball! Chocolate! Human Sacrifice!

BluesOvertookMe and Ignatius like this.
  9. Chazro

Yr right! Got my facts mixed up. I coulda sworn I read differently. Kinda bummed though, I was hoping for some cameos/appearances from the dead SOA cast (practically the whole crew!);). Can't happen now!

Brenald79 and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I don’t get FX so I just bought a seasons pass from ITunes. His other shows SOA and The Shield are in my top 5 all time so it’s mandatory watching for me. Trying to decide on watching weekly or go for the binge in November.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Great start to the series! And a nice SOA surprise.

12. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

Brenald79 likes this.
  13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

14. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

It’s post. That clearly was a flashback to EZ in prison, when a dead SOA character appears.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  15. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

I realized my mistake right after I posted it. My bad. :oops:

Brenald79 and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Yes. Caption reads "eight years earlier".

Brenald79 likes this.
  17. Chazro

Thx fellas, really appreciate it! I'll never understand that twitchy need some have to spoil.

18. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I liked it.

19. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

:righton:
    Damn sorry man!

Barely anything from ep1 has been spoiled:righton:.

20. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

IMO the show didn't stand much of a chance because the expectations were so high.

21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

You clearly were not paying attention if you think SOA was NOT a Political Show(or maybe better described as absent of Political Issues). How about when there was a school shooting that was the done using one of the Guns that SAMCRO was selling? Certainly, that can lead to the political debate of easy access to Guns in the US and so many recent Mass Shootings at Schools, Concert, Nightclub, etc.

In the final moments of the opening episode to the that season of Sons of Anarchy a young boy pulls an automatic rifle out of his backpack, walks into his school and the sound of shooting and screams erupts. The camera doesn't follow the violence, rather it shows disturbing images from the boy's notebook, left on the ground, as the audience hears the deadly events.

The school shooting begins a story arc designed to demonstrate the impact of gun trafficking by the members of the SAMCRO motorcycle club. Coming nine months after the fatal Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newton, Connecticut, the final scene had nonetheless provoked outrage from some offended audience members.

Kurt Sutter prefacing his response to criticism from the Parents Television Council (PTC) with an awareness that it might sound callous, Sutter defended his actions as a storyteller as neither gratuitous nor arbitrary. He referenced Sandy Hook, Aurora and Columbine before expressing “my sympathies and my compassion go out to you if you have suffered loss”.

He then apologised if he had upset viewers.

He noted however that it “is a very small percentage of us” that have been personally involved in a school shooting, and explained his storyline as intentionally ripping the scab off the wound for the rest of society, in order to provoke real action.

Need more examples how SOA was a Political Show?

How about Walton Goggins appearance in on SOA as Venus Van Damme as a transvestite hired by Jax to pose in suggestive positions with a drugged city council member whom SAMCRO later intended to blackmail into advancing their personal political agenda. Having a transvestite character in the Macho World of Biker Gangs is in itself a Political Issue.

Just for the record, I am Liberal Person myself on Social Issues yet SAO is one of my Top 4 Favorite TV Dramas of All Time. However, according to the Washington Post during the Show's Airing, the top scripted show for Republicans is FXs Sons of Anarchy, a Hamlet based drama about an outlaw biker gang.

How can it be that that so many conservatives want to spend their free time watching a lawless biker gang flaunt the values of traditional society? The show succeeds by making heroes out of characters who their Conservative viewers would otherwise almost certainly see as villains. But SOA also provides small, closed society that is a laboratory for the most basic foundational concepts of both Left and Right.

In Charming, CA the fictional small town setting for Sons of Anarchy, we find a test case for small government. The police are essentially controlled (or at least constrained) by the biker gang, and even local politics revolves around their preferences. In return, for a generation SAMCRO as the gang is known, has kept drugs out of Charming and increasingly fought to keep out big yuppie development projects that would change the face of the town. Although their criminal enterprises are sometimes lucrative, the setting for SOA is decidedly middle class. Though sometimes intellectual, the characters are not well educated, they look, in large part (criminal activity aside) like the model for the modern Republican, a working class white guy who wants the government to stay away from his money and guns and is engaged in a battle with working class brown and black guys for a slice of the economic pie.

Interestingly, the racial divisions which separate the rival Motorcycle Clubs are not imbued with any particular “cultural” significance. The black “Niners” and the Mexican “Mayans” are not given any moral passes or magical insights, they are simply the other gang, no better, no worse. Likewise the Sons do not enjoy any particular white privilege in the world of Motorcycle Clubs. This fits nicely with a recent ABC/Fusion poll that shows that while 62 percent of liberal Democrats believe non whites have less opportunity in society, only 25 of Republicans do. The show confirms the conservative belief that equality is enhanced by allowing groups to secure their own future, rather than letting government interfere on the basis of perceived discrimination. As Jonah Goldberg pointed out in the National Review Online, the basic theme of the show ends up being tribalism. It’s a fair and balanced tribalism, but nonetheless one that is remarkably violent, destructive and ultimately poisonous to the social values held by many in the GOP.

Sons of Anarchy provides its partisan devotees with the opportunity to doubt some of their deepest held beliefs. What conservative can watch the brutal crimes of the Sons of Anarchy without questioning whether the invisible hand really does enough to arrest the baser impulses of self interest? Like all great storytellers, the creator of SOA challenges our most basic beliefs and leave us to sort out the aftermath.

23. Chazro

Found the 1st episode to be disappointingly lackluster. Hope it gets better as Sutter shakes the cobwebs off!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I thought it was great right from ep 1. Felt like watching prime SOA with different characters. Has a Don Winslow vibe with the Cartel angle.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I've watched all but this week's episode, I haven't gotten to that yet. As a SOA fan I want to really like it. I do like the looks of the bikes so much better than the SOA look, and I think that's accurate with a hispanic club. But. . . the characters and story lines don't feel authentic to me, don't seem to fit the culture. Not that I want stereotypical plot lines and character sketching, but there just doesn't seem to be real Mexican or Mexican-American themes and "feel" to the show. Hopefully I will find that appearing and that would make me like the show more.