The "Collectible CDs Left on the Shelves - Help SHFites Out!" Thread

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Oatsdad, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

I think this is part of the reason the thread lapsed in my memory: it's just less "important" than it was a few years ago.

The market for target CDs has dropped to the point where anything I'd leave on the shelf is something someone could get for $5-$10 online anyway, so it's not really worthwhile to mention it.

There are still plenty of very collectible CDs - it's just less likely I or others would leave the genuinely interesting ones on the shelf anymore!

Dave S and Dr. Winston Ramone like this.
  2. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

People can't give CDs away at Garage Sales anymore.... They've gone the way of the Cassette, 8-Track and do-do Bird!

3. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Well, that criteria would include most of them unless you are chasing variations.

True. Also, I don't think people will travel to simply pick up a collectible disc. There's a Cars Shake It Up target in my local shop priced at £7.50, but I don't think anyone here would interested in visiting the shop to buy it.

4. Oatsdad

The thread always had iffy chances of success because of this: you have to find the collectible that you don't want in a town where someone else who reads the thread lives!

But hey, it don't cost nuttin' to post the thread, and I think it had the occasional success story! :)

ispace, Dave S and Dr. Winston Ramone like this.
  5. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The Animals Retrospective SACD at Sonic Boom in the New Arrivals section. $12.99

superstar19 and mdm08033 like this.
  6. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

For anyone in the New Orleans area, the 2nd and Charles in Covington has a copy of the Kate Bush Remastered Part 1 box for $21.99 I believe. It looks sealed, though it could be a re-seal.

slashdot87 likes this.
  7. Adam9

Synchronicity! No, not the Police album, but the event. I was just going to search for this thread but @puffyrock2 made it easy.
    Anyway, I was in Sonic Boom (edit: in Toronto) today and left these CDs in the new arrivals section: Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1 (I don't know if it is the pressing with the early fades but you could play it in the store and find out) and Dexter Gordon's Our Man in Paris on the original Blue Note CD I believe.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  8. Adam9

Sorry, Our Man in Paris is Gone. I had never heard this album but after I listened to it on YouTube last night, I went out and bought it today. Hot Rocks 1 is still there, priced at $7.99.

9. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

What the f*** is a do-do bird?
    One that s***s all the time?

10. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I was excited to find the RCA CD of Space Oddity by David Bowie at a half price books in a suburb of Pittsburgh. Until I saw the price. $30.

Dr. Winston Ramone likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

Ouch! What location?

12. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Monroeville

13. Oatsdad

That's the one I know best. When I visit Pittsburgh, I stay at the Red Roof out there, so I've been to that HPB many times.

Guess they've figured out the collectible thang - at least for some titles!

14. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Yeah, they seem to know what things are worth. Except targets (there was a Christopher Cross target CD there too at a normal CD price - not sure that's really in demand). If it's still there next time they have a 50% off your highest priced item it may be worth it though.

15. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

I'm glad this thread bubbled up again, I think it's a pretty neat idea. I don't know how much interest there is on this forum but as of yesterday afternoon, the Bull Moose store in Scarborough, ME has several used CD copies of the excellent early releases by minimal techno pioneer Ricardo Villalobos sitting on their shelves and priced at typical used CD prices. Alcachofa and Thé Au Harem D'Archimède in particular typically sell for much higher prices.

Oatsdad likes this.
  16. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Not too demand as I don't paying much for any of my 9 Christopher Cross targets (yep, you read it right - 9). As far as common targets go, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, The Doors, and Eagles are far more in demand, although I never see The Doors targets much. There is The Long Run target at Sounds Ok, Falmouth, Cornwall. Been there for over a year. As well as one of the Alchemy targets, but it is trashed (odd seeing it though as the target wasn't an European issue).

17. Adam9

Beatles Help! CD Canadian Disque Americ pressing original stereo mix
    Rolling Stones Out Of Our Heads US SACD

She Said Boom! on Roncesvalles Ave. Toronto.

18. Oatsdad

Always a little amazed when this thread comes back to life! :)

19. Adam9

Well, I used to think of buying collectibles to sell to forum members but not anymore as I've gotten too lazy or it's more trouble than it's worth so now I just post on this thread. Hope someone picks up stuff posted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.