Producing The Beatles - new podcast

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Solaris, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight Thread Starter

Hey all,

I haven't been very active on the music forum for a while, but that's because I've been working on a big project which I'm about to release.

I've just finished producing the first season of this new podcast, which goes into the studio with The Beatles and looks at the making of the recordings from George Martin's point of view. This is a narrative podcast, so each episode will be the story of the making of a song, or a production concept that Martin and The Beatles put to use. We'll be examining everything from home demos, to studio outtakes, to isolated multitracks, as well as rare and previously unpublished documentation. We'll also look back into Martin's career before The Beatles to see where some of his production techniques originated, and how he developed his unique approach to the studio.

The thing I'm most excited about, though, is that we've gone into the recording studio with professional musicians to re-record and analyze some of the scores that George Martin wrote to see what we can learn from re-tracing his steps.

Our first episode, which debuts September 3, takes on the "In My Life" piano solo.

The podcast is available on iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher and TuneIn.

Feel free to subscribe so you don't miss anything, and also visit our website for more information. www.producingthebeatles.com

If you do Twitter, we're @PTBeatles, and on Instagram and Facebook, we're under Producing The Beatles.

This has been a labor of love and a lot of hard work, and I hope you guys enjoy it.

[​IMG]

garrincha, theMess, TripSide and 91 others like this.
  2. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Oh man, what a great idea for a podcast. A genuine new angle that hasn't been explored. Well done Jason! Nice to see a local boy done good. Heh, I was wondering what happened to your George Martin research. Looking forward to this muchly!

theMess, longdist01, davenav and 7 others like this.
  3. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I don't understand why this isn't getting more love on this forum.

4. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Hi... Congrats on your first season in the can! .. best of luck to you :cheers:

5. Solaris

Thanks, man! I gave some of my material to Ken Womack for his two-volume biography of George Martin, but a lot of what I had collected over the years was outside the range of what he could cover. I think this is the perfect format for my research, though, and I can't wait to start on Season 2!

6. Solaris

A Monday bump. The first episode is up!

7. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

Just subscribed, thanks

Solaris likes this.
  8. shmuckler

shmuckler Forum Resident

Very intriguing, subscribed...

longdist01 and Solaris like this.
  9. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Just listened to the 1st podcast.
    Excellent.
    While I love The Beatles and collect them extensively, I've never delved into any of the books that detail their recordings.
    I never knew that the "harpsichord or clavichord" solo in In My Life was a piano or that Martin played it.
    Subscribed.

10. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I just listened to the first episode and I really enjoyed it. I learned several new things, like, I never knew that piano part in "You Never Give Me Your Money" was George Martin, or that it was played at half-speed.

Is the podcast available via RSS?

Rupe33 and IronWaffle like this.
  11. Solaris

The RSS updates the various platforms (Apple podcasts, etc) whenever I upload a new episode. Which platform do you use?

12. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I'm not sure what a "platform" would be in this context. I never consult Apple or Stitcher or whatever. I listen to podcasts on my phone with an app called "Podcast Addict" and on my desktop computers using a couple of other podcast aggregators. To subscribe I always use the direct RSS link on the podcast web page, which is usually indicated by an icon like this, but which I don't see on your web page:

[​IMG]

However! Podcast Addict has a search engine, which I've rarely used, but I just did and it found it at the URL <https://www.producingthebeatles.com/new-episodes/?format=rss>.

So, I'm all set!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Solaris likes this.
  13. ZiltoidtheOmniscient

ZiltoidtheOmniscient Forum Resident

Awesome I'll give it a shot, always enjoy a good podcast relating to music.

Solaris likes this.
  14. Solaris

Great, glad you've got it. I'll look into what I need to do to get the RSS link up on the website. Thanks!

15. Solaris

I've added an RSS block to the New Episodes page of the site, and I've also added a station for the podcast to Castbox.

16. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Thanks to rednoise for posting that link for podcast addict...it worked great. It's the download option I was looking for.

Good luck with the podcast Jason. I know a lot of time and effort has gone into this and after just giving the first episode a listen I can't wait for the next show.

Solaris likes this.
  17. Solaris

Gonna keep bumping this because I think some people here would like this.

Please also note that if you don't have a podcast app you can listen to episodes on the website.

18. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Hey Jason - great first episode.

longdist01, Mesozoic Mike and Solaris like this.
  19. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

Wow, this sounds incredible. I don't really do podcasts but I'll seek this one out! Best of luck with the series.

longdist01, Mesozoic Mike and Solaris like this.
  20. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

Bravo; I believe I’ll be enjoying this
    Thanks

21. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Listene last night and have subscribed. Very nicely done. Looking forward to future episodes.

22. davecaddie

davecaddie Forum Resident

Hmmm...intriguing. Gonna have to give this a listen.

23. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

Really enjoyed the first one. Looking forward to having it in regular rotation for my daily commute.

24. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I'm in! Will listen asap

25. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Sounds fantastic :thumbsup:

Solaris likes this.