Love-New 2016 Netflix Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Barnabas Collins, Mar 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Totally! And Bertie (Claudia O'Doherty) is an absolute joy.

I loved season 3 - really well done. There was only one ep which was a bit of a misfire, ep 4, the one with the bus tour of houses featured in popular horror flicks and Gus & Mickey getting sick (though the ep finished strongly). But overall, an excellent season.

Also, not sure if it's just a perception thing, but it felt like there were more tunes in this season than before, which was good.

And Arya's a total cutie!

9/10.

2. George P

George P Notable Member

I like her (and Randy) most of all. They should redo the series from their perspective.

Agreed.

Yeah, or maybe they just highlighted the music more. Either way, best season of the three.

Absolutely! And only 16. She's gonna be a big star.

3. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Finally got my Bertie fix. Spin off?

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Ah dammit, just learned that S3 was the final season. :(

5. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

I thought it was a good conclusion for a show that, despite its title, has a very cynical view on love. Beside the leads, a very strong cast of supporting actors who hopefully find their way into other series (Bertie, Randy, Chris all stood out in S3). Where some Netflix series feel a bit padded, this was a nice, compact set of episodes. I agree that the horror flicks episode on the surface felt a bit unnecessary, but it made more sense as the series reached a conclusion in the context of highlighting Gus is not always being the "good guy" in the relationship.

George P likes this.
  6. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

I really enjoyed this show, and I'm sorry to see it end. I am glad, however, that it was able to actually have an ending, as opposed to just being axed between seasons.

I feared for an unhappy ending, but was pleasantly surprised. These characters will be missed!

7. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

While I watched the whole series and enjoyed it, I find it misfired almost as much as it worked. There were a couple episodes that just fell flat, but there were always a half dozen scenes per episode that I found really bombed. Overall I'd give it a 3.5/5.

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I finally found this series, just in time to realize it's canceled. But I finished Season 1, which I liked a lot--and I am not much into rom com type stuff. But I found a lot of truth in the characters, even if they're broadly painted sometimes.

The first season scene I liked the best was the one where the actress comes over for the Carlito's Way sing-along and does all the things that someone of that type does to fit in, and to be inclusive. Then the Gillian Jacobs character comes over, is dour, can't or won't play along, and is basically a downer and outcast. When she's alone with the main characters in other venues, her sarcastic cynical attitude plays great. When she's at a party, it's horrible. And--having known people a lot like her--there's a lot of reality there.

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I've been her at those types of parties. Not recently, but in my younger days when I would be dragged by a girlfriend to be with a group doing stuff that I thought was boring and square, and be forced to sit there, "lighten up and have fun". And typically I would end up being an ******* because I was so out of place. I still have trouble being around groups of people that I have nothing in common with, and try not to put myself in those situations. And if I am in them, I like to think I've matured enough to handle it a lot better then I did, or then she does in the show.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Love the show and identified with both main characters.

10. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

I'm not sure it was cancelled, or just reached a natural conclusion...which is good, versus leaving the audience hanging, able to wrap up the story

11. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, or drawing things out long past the point where it's enjoyable, which is unfortunately the way many actual love affairs end.

Canadacrowe likes this.
  12. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

This is me, and I really identified with Mickey in this scene.

13. davecaddie

davecaddie Forum Resident

It’s wuite clever. I especially enjoy the scenes when he is trying to teach child actors. It’s kinda like a sneak park into my classroom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.