Spin CDs seems to have closed up shop

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MGSeveral, Sep 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

I used them several years ago for a while with no trouble, fortunately got off board before the problems started. There is virtually no competition to Amazon left now.

2. Putrifiers II

Putrifiers II Forum Resident

Juno.co.uk are excellent and mostly reasonable. Whatrecords, Action Records, and Jumbo too in my experience. Norman can be good.

kronning, Imagine70, hamicle and 4 others like this.
  3. Ludger

Ludger ISthisALLreal, ISthisALLnecessary, ORisTHISaJOKE?

JPC here in Germany are quite good.

4. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

They lost me when they failed to fulfil an order, I'd given them two years. I called for that order to be changed to something else (at a loss to me) the exchange never showed up that was eighteen months ago. They still have my money.

5. electronicpaperboy

electronicpaperboy Forum Resident

They have my money for a pre-order that should have showed at the end of last month, it could have been worse looking at some other orders folks made.

I used them 3 times, each time it was like ' pulling teeth' the first order was never fulfilled, I used them as they were from my hometown and weren't Amazon, but as you can tell from the limited purchases it was not a pleasure.

It looks like they never carried stock and only located it, or tried to after you made the order, as they always seemed to be offering 20% it must have made it difficult. Whatever they once were in the past, they weren't towards the end, they just became a big Ponzi scheme.

6. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

I am out nearly £90 on two orders including the Music From Big Pink box. However , if you live in the UK, I have read that there's a thing called the Chargeback scheme whereby you can get all the money back if you used a Visa, MasterCard or American Express card and claim within 120 days. That's within 120 days of the problem emerging. Obviously it would be helpful if it was less than 120 days since the purchase but I don't think that's essential.

Chargeback claims: how to get your money back

PS: many thanks for this thread and to Beaneydave for his doorstepping!

7. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm Thread Starter

It just seemed that of all the places I go, this place would have the most interaction with them.

And ta to Beanydave as well

Beaneydave likes this.
  8. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I ordered 2 grey area box sets in February for a total of £28. The release dates kept being put back, I phoned and emailed but got no response. About 10/11 days ago I contacted my card company without much hope because 6 months had elapsed between my order and phoning the card company. They told me to email them citing a dispute and the content of emails I had sent to Spin. Luckily I had kept a record of the emails. 2 days later they told me my card account would be refunded in full, which it has. This is through a scheme operated by card companies. It seems I claimed just in time but you may still be covered.

My advice to everyone who has been robbed by these bastards is to contact your card company, you too @PJayBe, because there is a scheme, my claim was for as little as £28 and it was over 6 months since I placed my order. Good luck.

Footnote: I once called in the shop in Newcastle when attending a Springsteen concert at St. James Park. This was the '80's and I was aware of them through the NME & Melody Maker, I subscribed to their Mail outs in pre-internet days. They were good people. I continued to get orders from them on a regular basis up to around 2010 but then the service started to decline. Orders started to arrive a week late, then a month and then only after you phoned them. During the last 8 years I would give them another chance every 6 months, I always managed to get the order eventually or was founded by Spin until the example above. I'm going to start dealing with Action Records in Preston. I've already dealt with them a few times by mail order and have been to the shop. They are reliable with prompt service, a little bit dearer than Amazon but they pay their taxes!

@Back 2 Vinyl, I quoted your post but it didn't come up, my post backs yours up for those who want to follow up with a claim.

Imagine70, Oyster Boy, PJayBe and 3 others like this.
  9. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

I'm glad that they are finally gone. I'd been to the shop in Newcastle city centre many years ago when up there for a match and so still used them. Unfortunately when I did last year I was charged immediately for something that was stated to be "in stock" but received nothing.

Emails were ignored and the phone just rang out without an answer. Eventually I did a bit of research (I wish I had done it before placing the order) and discovered that this was now normal when dealing with Spin CDs. A bit more research yielded the name of Mr Spin CDs Steve Brooks. Emailing him personally did elicit a response, and an admission that the "usually shipped in 24 hours" claim was not really possible as they didn't have any stock on hand. He promised a refund in the next 24 hours.

Needless to say that didn't happen. A day or two later I contacted my credit card company and got my money refunded, just before Spin CDs did actually refund me too. I tried to give the Spin CDs refund back, but was told it would have to be initiated from their end. Considering how many people I had read about on the internet who had been left out of pocket by Mr Brooks I decided to let some time elapse before I informed them. Let's see how they like someone else hanging on to their money! I had no intention of keeping it permanently, but before I got around to telling them they did a charge back and reclaimed the money. Still it was nice to get one over on them for a while, even if it was just for a couple of months. Karma and all that.

10. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

I have noticed that HMV do regularly match in-store the Amazon price when a product is released and they do mail order with free UK shipping. Amazon do sometimes seem to offer a headline price for a pre-release then when they get so many subscribers the price goes up. HMV are currently matching the Amazon pre-release price on the new Steve Hackett box, which is one I am watching. But not many other options out there sadly.

11. Graham

Graham Senior Member

On orders above £10.

12. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Everything is starting to fail though; Spin is only part of a malaise, in that many independent record shops have fallen by the wayside.

However, slow deliveries and inadequate service aren't just the preserve of the last days of Spin: Amazon and their couriers in the UK are wholly hit or miss.

Imagine70 and Surferghost like this.
  13. Graham

Graham Senior Member

No, Spin were in a class of their own. It wasn’t just their “last days” - I had major issues with them three years ago. Good riddance.

14. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

Exactly, no comparison with demise of other independent traders. Spin orchestrated their disappearance and pulled in as much money as possible with impossible offers with no intention of delivering the goods.
    (My experience with Amazon UK has been completely positive using Prime and have found their couriers to be polite and friendly}

15. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Apologies; just fed up with waiting for Amazon couriers to deliver new Macca, Spiritualized, Paul Simon CDs today. They've eventually arrived.

However, moving back to Spin: it does appear that the owner has behaved with misconduct over the corporate failure of his business. If that's the case, then I'd recommend that the aggrieved customers contact The Insolvency Service in the North East. I'm unable to ascertain, but Companies House Beta, may be able to tell you if the owner has moved to dissolve Spin. If so, people can contact Companies House, raising an objection to the dissolution of Spin.

Spin did start to fail, as they were unable to fulfil the Van Morrison reissues of Too Late to Stop Now sets. Eventually, I got a refund, but not before threatening them with the Small Claims Court: if anyone is still owed significant amounts, it may be worth pursuing the owner, Steve Brooks, via this option.

16. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

I called my bank today and the money I lost was back in my account within 15 minutes.

I noticed another thread about SoundStageDirect going bust in the US. I think the writing is on the wall for online retailers of physical media unless it's part of a bigger retail operation (Amazon). They're certainly not going to see any growth - it's just a matter of how long they can hold on as sales decline.

pudgym likes this.
  17. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm Thread Starter

I did have something that was supposedly in stock, but after a couple of weeks I asked about it. The next day he said he'd checked but found it was not in stock and refunded me. This was maybe 2 months ago. So, fair enough in a way.

Then again, I did have something else on order but I guess that's not happening.

I'm not damning anyone, you know.

18. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

I was lucky then, a few months back the 3 Wire reissues in a bundle for a great price, got delivered quickly after being released

19. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

They were great about 5 or 6 years ago. Box sets that were long out of print were still at list price there. They never upped the prices like other online companies did. I never had an issue with them. What a shame.

20. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

I had reasonable luck with them over a few orders, sad to see them go, but they clearly have had a lot of problems and let many people down.

Interesting to see many lauding Amazon. Yes I use them from time to time, and there service is good.

Wait 20 years until they have squeezed almost every business out, and our already depressed high streets are even emptier than they are now, we'll have Amazon to thank for that.

21. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks. That all looks final for them. Some of my Dicks Picks came from them when they still had a shop. The last few years their reputation has got steadily worse. Perhaps a surprise they kept going as long as they did.

Beaneydave likes this.
  22. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

I loved their upcoming releases web page(s). I'd order from them once in a while in appreciation for that work, despite the shipping costs to USA. About two years ago what I ordered never shipped. After a couple of months I requested a refund and got it promptly. I will miss the SpinCDs of a few years ago, not the recent one.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  23. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

In 2015 I had waited eight months for one item so I phoned them. I was being told they still didn't have the item (Roger Waters ATD sacd) then the guy on the end of the phone said "Hang on" after a couple of minutes wait he came back and said they had one after all, I got it two days later. They still owe me nearly £30 though for something else.

24. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

They send out too many newsletters, it's annoying.

25. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Man you're not kidding, I had been meaning to mark them a Spammers for the seemingly daily emails, now I don't have too.

abzach likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.