Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely - Deluxe Edition - October 19, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Jun 4, 2018.

1. teag

teag Forum Resident

Between this, Lennon's Imagine release, and Dylan's Blood on the Tracks bootleg, its going to be a great fall season.

John Porcellino and Jtycho like this.
  2. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

For the most part Wee Small has a lightness of touch, small group feel, where Lonely goes way deeper than that. I love them both, they're both extraordinary pieces of work. Lonely, though, is to me more severe.

RSteven likes this.
  3. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I'm not sure why one would assume a gatefold--just because it's a double album? A lot of double albums get released in single sleeves (usually with plenty of extra room for the two albums, plus any inserts), including all the AP Blue Note 45s (and Nat King Cole 45s, for that matter). It seems that most people prefer gatefolds, but I think I personally prefer the single sleeves for double albums, as they're a heck of a lot less troublesome (for me, at least) to balance for insertion and removal of the albums. I prefer gatefolds to be reserved for albums with widescreen album art designs that require the gatefold format.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    FJFP likes this.
  4. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I'm in. My favorite Sinatra album.

Christopher B and RSteven like this.
  5. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

By the way, the photo of the vinyl release shows six tracks per side

SteveM likes this.
  6. teag

teag Forum Resident

:shh:

Hopefully a picture snafu by Ume.

7. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have this release. A two LP 331/3 on Nonesuch & at the same price point. It is not a gatefold, with room for the two discs in MoFi like sleeves & a single info sheet. Do they still mfg gatefold covers?

[​IMG]

8. teag

teag Forum Resident

We are getting off topic, but yes. Lots of Dylan MFSL gatefolds for example, among others.

Anyway, as long as Ume leaves enough room for 2 discs for the Sinatra album all will be well. I'd rather have a gatefold but the sound quality is more important.

9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

No. It looks to me like two lines per track (song title and credits). If you have good eyes, you can touch the image to zoom in at Amazon Japan, and maybe read the label.

CBackley likes this.
  10. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Wrong label on the CD's.

First issue LP's had "LONG PLAYING HIGH FIDELITY" in place of the spire.

dualstacker and Bob F like this.
  11. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

There are six tracks on each disc that we can see.......... sides one and three

Bob F likes this.
  12. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Thanks for the pics, @Bob F !

Bob F likes this.
  13. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

The album is a 45 rpm.

14. David m bond

David m bond Forum Resident

15. teag

teag Forum Resident

16. Record Rotator, roda12 and Bob F like this.
  17. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

It doesn’t sound like you’ve heard No One Cares then.

18. Bob F

Ah! My bad. I was looking at the labels, not the actual bands. They must photoshop pre-prepared images rather than take photos of the actual product.

roda12, mikrt17 and SteveM like this.
  19. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

It was the first Sinatra LP I actually bought a few years ago. I loved it immediately, and don't find it depressing in the least. It's warm, rich, and enveloping--I tend to find more stark, desert-tinged stuff like some of Neil Young's work to better fit my own definition of "depressing." I've seen the descriptions (including from some people on this forum whose views a strongly respect) of No One Cares as having gone too far and crossed a line into bleakness, and I strongly disagree with them!

A quick elaboration--for whatever reason, I experience both brooding, candlelit imagery of old Europe (like that of King Crimson's "Starless") and the neon-soaked imagery of loneliness in mid-20th century city centers (like the Sinatra albums or Ellington's "Mood Indigo") as lushly romantic, rather than depressing. On the other hand, the stuff that I find truly depressing I simply cannot listen to without feeling sick to my stomach. It usually has nothing that I consider even remotely romantic or atmospheric--a lot of punk, metal, and country/roots music falls into the latter category for me.

dualstacker and mahanusafa02 like this.
  20. Bob F

Well, first issue stereo LPs had only ten tracks, but your point is taken. Let’s hope more attention to detail was paid to the mastering than the label printing. ;)

CBackley, Pelvis Ressley and SteveM like this.
  21. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

There are individual tracks on No One Cares that might be darker than anything on Only the Lonely but I don't think it's as dark an experience. I guess it's a matter of taste.

roda12 likes this.
  22. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Wrong style stereo banner along to top of the cover, too.

23. dualstacker

dualstacker Forum Resident

Being a huge non-fan of CD’s other than for car listening, I am sick and tired of the endless lack of availability of unreleased Sinatra material put onto vinyl. It seems every time we get a landmark release like this put onto CD and digital, we get a recycled vinyl version of an album I already own 10 different ways. While I agree it’s nice to see this long album split up into 4 sides for sound quality , this is certainly a release I can wait a while to grab. I also understand and agree with not marring a perfect album by inserting extra songs and disturbing the running order. That being said, there has to be a way to include these songs in the vinyl package. Weren’t these outtakes originally recorded in analog? Then why are they only available digitally? It’s really irksome to me. We also get cool releases such as “Standing Room Only” and of course not even one of the concerts is made available in the vinyl format. This continuing pattern is why my “The Capitol Years”and The “Reprise Collection” vinyl boxes are among my most prized and most listened to Sinatra material. It is so nice to be able to hear the alternate piano take of “One For My Baby” or the spoken word intro version of “Send In The a Clouds” without turning on the CD player (my apologies to CD fans).

.crystalised. and Ronald Sarbo like this.
  24. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

They are NOT utilizing the vinyl format to it's fullest potential.

dualstacker likes this.
  25. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

Wrong