Jethro Tull Too Old To Rock and Roll too young to Die! deluxe 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Not haveing owned any Jethro Tull prior to these releases 'Too Old to Rock and Roll ' is my favorite of these sets, though they are all pretty good.

I think that I am not tainted by knowing the material inside out like some fans.

I like the rawer edge of the TV show to the album

Keith V likes this.
  2. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

That version is quite the better one imo.

Keith V likes this.
  3. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I love this 5.1 mix. Fantastic. As for the quad mix, my goodness. Thank God we have the 5.1

4. Has the original stereo tape always sounded so muffled than it does here on the flat transfer (stereo)?

I don't have my original LP with me to check at the moment (and no other CD version either). I've never had to push the treble switch all the way up to enjoy decent sound from a good, 1970s album before... Has the tape deteriorated that much between '76 and '15?

Keith V likes this.
  5. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

The remaster is definitively brighter than the original CD

6. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I noticed that too. I assumed it was my ears aren’t tuned to what’s supposed to sound good around here.

ParloFax likes this.
  7. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

The original mix of TOTRTYTD was always subpar in my opinion..

8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

No, the original LP, some of the original CDs, and the remaster sound better than the flat transfer. Assuming the tape was transfered adequately (and we have little reason to doubt it), it just shows it has deteriorated or simply needs mastering to sound its best.

showtaper, fredblue, Keith V and 3 others like this.
  9. Thanks for confirming this!

Keith V likes this.
  10. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

So has anyone come across the missing tape yet? :D

11. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

I had rather they found the lost París 75 reel.

Six Bachelors and ParloFax like this.
  12. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Give me studio any day over live

joelee, tootull, Plan9 and 1 other person like this.
  13. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

And also bear in mind that One Brown Mouse (early version) got a remixed release on the Songs from the Wood Country Set. Though I do need to go back and check on the differences between Strip Cartoon on both releases.

If they do ever track down the missing multis for the songs that didn't get remixed, will any of us even be patient to wait for a 50th Anniversary of Too Old to Rock 'N' Roll... ;)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  14. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Sure, if it means they can figure out a way of presenting the TV special with a non-lossy stereo track. It has to be possible on a DVD-Video to have visuals and a lossless stereo audio track...surely....

15. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

I fear I'll be too old to rock 'n' roll by then.
    It is, given adequate disk space.

16. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Are there any differences on Strip Cartoon. I thought is was repeated on the latter set because it’s inclusion on the first was an error.

17. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

The remaining original tracks and another 6 extras tracks found on a lost tape would be amazing :D

18. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

According to Ian's notes in the SFTW book set, "Strip Cartoon" was on the Too Old... set because it dates from around the time of that album, and on SFTW because it was the B-side to "The Whistler." In those liner notes, Ian didn't mention any differences, implying that the same new mix was used on both sets. Not everyone buys all the deluxe sets, so this way someone who just wants SFTW gets the associated B-side without having to purchase another set for that one track.

FVDnz and JediJoker like this.
  19. Six Bachelors

Although isn’t the original mix only on one of the sets? I can’t remember which though.

20. SJB

"Strip Cartoon" is remixed on both sets. You might be thinking of "The Whistler," which had a unique mix for the U.S. single. That vintage mix is on the SFTW set.

FVDnz and JediJoker like this.
  21. I've been reading and re-reading Ian's interview from the book... And I have asked about this in the past, on this very thread...

...Yet the purpose of this darn old brit Musicians' Union rule, and how the band circumvented it by re-recording the entire album and miming to the music anyway, without even trying to fake it, remain beyond the admittedly limited powers of my brains... And I so wish I could explain it to my wife when she watches a bit of the video with me!

22. SJB

I think miming was permissible as long as they weren't miming to the record. By creating a new recording, they were ensuring ongoing work for musicians. (Surely there were movie musicals filmed in the UK in the late 1960s and early-mid 1970s, and the singers weren't all required to sing into live microphones during filming.)

ParloFax likes this.
  23. OK I think I see... Still feel a bit shaky about the whole notion, but I'll ponder this some...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  24. SJB

I also suspect that the M.U. knew miming was going on, but they didn't want it to be obviously miming to the record. So you get things like Top of the Pops where they'd sing live over the backing track.

ParloFax likes this.
  25. Six Bachelors

No, I’m thinking of Strip Cartoon. It is definitely on one of the reissues in its original mix, as I said. I just can’t recall which one and don’t have access to them at the moment.

EDIT: Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young to Die! - Wikipedia !

It’s on DVD 2 of the Too Old reissue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.