Joy Division on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

I have all the originals, bought 'em ages ago - should I upgrade?

2. apesmu

apesmu Forum Resident

hi antonkk,

i have the 4 CD "Heart & Soul" boxset, and highly recommended it!

i find the mastering of this set to lend itself to this type of music very well.

however, if you're wondering what might be the best sounding version of their stuff, then perhaps the original UK LP pressings might do you well - i've only an original pressing of their first LP, and it does sound great, but have not done any extensive A/B comparisons between that and the boxset.

i've no other CD pressings to compare to / with the boxset, however, i can't imagine they are at all that much better. especially when it comes to content, this box set pretty much has all that they have released (bar a few odds and ends here and there that have popped up).

hope this helps!

:righton:

Rocat likes this.
  3. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I prefer the original Factory CD of Unknown Pleasures which was pressed by MPO France. This CD seems to have less noise reduction and different EQ than all later ones. It sounds more like the original German Factory LP than the UK one.
    The box set is pretty good and the only way to have it all in one place.
    The original Factory Closer CD is okay, it was pressed by Nimbus in UK. All the CD's of Closer that I've heard sound pretty much the same. The mixes on Closer have always bothered me, why were Ian's vocals buried so much in the mix?

marcfeld69 likes this.
  4. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Weren't all of those early Factory CDs just copied from the Japanese Columbia discs? I'm pretty sure they came out in Japan first (I know the New Order, A Certain Ratio and Durutti Column ones did); that may account for the discrepancies in mixes (or source tapes).

I haven't heard the original Factory CDs of 'Pleasures' or 'Closer' in years (I still have the Nimbus-pressed 'Still', though) but I vaguely recall being happier with them than I was with 'Low-Life' or 'Power Corruption & Lies'.

Awkward packaging and lack of original cover art notwithstanding, I can second the recommendation for the 'Heart And Soul' set.

SBurke likes this.
  5. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Steve mastered "Love will Tear us Apart" Its on Totally Wired on Razor.
    Best sounding version of that song.

6. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

I thought that they never had been remastered and all the apparent copyright and catalogue numbers changes on the CDs were down to the fact that the Factory catalogue has had more owners than a secondhand car.

IIRC, the only really significant changes was when everything came under the control of Centredate in the mid 1990s and the track order of some New Order CDs were changed to reflect the LPs for the first time.

I'm not, however, an expert on the topic but all I see in the shops around here is the original 1990s Centredate unremastered reissues.

7. greylodge

greylodge Member

How scarce are the Factory CDs? Any idea what they are going for these days?

8. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Pretty scarce....I had them....Had to rebuy them....Probably less scarce in Europe than in N.America....You would have had to be a fan back then to have purchased these....

9. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

I wouldn't say they were super rare... I'm more into the New Order stuff, so I keep my eyes out for the Factory CDs. The last ones I saw were going for about £10 each.

10. greylodge

greylodge Member

Didn't these come with a paper or cardboard carrying case for the disk? (Same with New Order, I believe.)

11. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Yeah, both of 'em came shrinkwraped with a paper cover "designed for the car." Which was nice (a precursor to the Japanese mini-LP sleeve fad?), but almost everyone just tossed 'em in the trash. They were nice covers, though. Textured, but without a spine.

12. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I recently sold my set of original Factory JD and NO CDs for around $100 each. I was the original owner and they were mostly near mint in condition and all had the car carry cases (sleeves).

13. drewc

drewc Forum Resident

Duplicate post...

14. drewc

drewc Forum Resident

The early US and UK vinyl pressings of both Unknown Pleasures and Closer (US UP pressing on Rough Trade, UK on Factory for both) slay the original (and reissued) CD versions, whether Factory original CD, US on Qwest or reissued UK on CentreDate/London. It's not even funny.

The box set versions of the UP/Closer tracks have added midrange and compression, though it could have been a lot worse (1995's Permanent compilation, anyone? Yuck!). I'd stick with the original vinyl versions if you got 'em, otherwise the early CD versions are OK.

Pop_Zeus and marcfeld69 like this.
  15. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Yow! I've got a full set of Factory originals for both Joy Division and New Order (both cd and lp - for New Order I have all the 12" 45s up to 1987). That would seem to be worth a bit, though I'm not selling.

Two questions: Why was "24 hours" left off of the original CD Still? It was never listed on the original LP but was there nonetheless. Also, I'm not aware that the set of original NO singles has ever been collected on CD (Substance had remakes of several songs, which were inferior to the original singles). Have I missed this?

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  16. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

The single CD of 'Still' runs 79:13. I'm guessing that has something to do with it. The double-CD edition from Japan (issued prior to the UK version) contains it, though, doesn't it?

And, yes, many of the original NO singles have never appeared properly on CD. There were rumors in the distant past of a CD single box set, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

17. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I never saw the Japanese issue, but it would seem that it was left off for length purposes (a shame though; it's one of the best performances on the live set).

I'm definitely not holding my breath. Must be time to do needledrops...

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  18. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

PM drewc for advice on that. :)

19. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

I also have the original CD pressings of Unknown Pleasures and Closer. I had the orignal LP of UP and I think the CD sounds pretty good and quite close to it if memory serves. I will be hanging on to them like gold.

20. antonkk

Now what about the remasters? Anyone heard them?

21. antonkk

Now what about the remasters? Anyone heard them?

22. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

i've never understood the various Joy Division CD pressings. these are the ones i have:

Unknown Pleasures: 3984 28223-2 on the spine, on the back it says "LC 02275 EW809 GEMA/BIEM(EUROPE) GEMA/MCPS(UK)" below the bar code. no track listing on the back. at the bottom, it reads "www.londonrecords.co.uk Made in Germany by Warner Music Manufacturing Europe" among other things.

Closer: 3984 28219 2 on the spine, everything else exactly the same as above (no track listing, same manufacturing info).

what are these? standard European issue? i never thought they sounded bad; not a huge JD fan, so they're good enough for me, whatever people think of them.

23. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I love and cherish the "Heart & Soul" boxed set. Add the "Complete BBC Recordings" import cd and maybe toss in the "Les Bains Douches" live cd
    and you're set. What else is there to say, really? After this it's "bootleg city", and there you shall be on your own, as I have none of them.

Again, why agonize? Get the boxed set, and the BBC disc and enjoy!

Pop_Zeus and JeffMo like this.
  24. bjdwsm

bjdwsm Forum Resident

I notice that while the default versions of Unknown Pleasures and Substance in Canada are both Centre Date versions (pressed in Germany, in the jewel case with the Warner W on the front, and with the exclaimation point sticker that I assume is some price code), Closer is Factory/Warner Music Canada (pressed by Cinram and available for much cheaper). Any reason why only Closer's made domestically?

Also, how do these versions compare to the other ones floating around on the market?

25. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I haven't had time to read all the thread but is the Heart And Soul box remastered because my copies of Unknown Pleasures and Closer aren't?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.