Groups that North Americans see different to the rest of the world

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve M., Sep 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve M.

Steve M. Forum Resident Thread Starter

The biggest contender seems to be Queen. Who else?

2. AceFrehleyJr

AceFrehleyJr Doesn't Believe The Hype

OASIS for sure!

3. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

4. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

Blue Oyster Cult.
    Growing up i was always reading in the American music press how fantastic this band was, so i checked them out on more than one occasion. However i just could never understand the love for this band.
    To me they're so corny and nothing to do with heavy rock, which was how they were always being described as.

Sparks.
    I think Britain sees and appreciates the band a lot more than Americans do, in general.

Boston.
    Apart from More Than a Feeling, most music fans wouldn't of been able to name any other tracks from the first lp at that time. In America it seems to me the first lp is legendary but not so in the rest of the world.

Kansas.
    Hardly known outside America.

Ted Nugent.
    As above.

Foghat.
    As above.

Slade.
    Loved in Britain, Europe, Australia and NZ.

As for Queen? I still think plenty of Americans loved Queen throughout their career, they still charted over there.

5. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Queen Absolutely one of the biggest - and greatest - rock groups worldwide. On this forum, they're dismissed and often bashed.

The Grateful Dead If you went by this forum with those marathon threads, you'd think The Grateful Dead were huge worldwide. But their popularity is almost existent elsewhere around the globe.

6. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

The Tragically Hip are very popular here in Canada, but I wish they weren’t.

bever70, finslaw, PhoffiFozz and 16 others like this.
  7. Bluesthinker

Bluesthinker Well-Known Member

Paul Weller, The Jam, Nick Drake certainly bigger in UK/Europe than in US

8. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Bob Seger is a legend in the US and Canada with many hit songs and multi platinum albums. Look at European sales figures and he is semi obscure!

9. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

I don’t know about the rest of the world, but in many places Madness are remembered as one of the greatest singles bands of the 80s, rather than as one hit wonders as they are in the US

10. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Motorhead and the Ramones were huge in much of the world. But didn't sell much in the USA during their heyday.

11. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

KISS perhaps?

12. Remington Steele

Amazed when I found out about Sparks having big European success in the mid to late 70s with a partially British line up. Over here they are known as a Southern California band with two moderate hits of the new wave era. And those two songs (Cool Places, I Predict) aren’t even among their UK hits!

13. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I don't know how anyone who has heard their first few albums could think that.

I admit their overall sound in the studio softened somewhat after that, but they also had many "rocking" tracks in subsequent albums as well. And their live shows always rocked hard. Always.

Corny is in the ear of the beholder. Though I could see that particular aspect alienating people on other continents.

14. Remington Steele

I found out some of their 80s hits like Lick It Up and Crazy Crazy Nights saw UK success. Perhaps the result of MTV getting European broadcast. Like how Heart and Aerosmith finally got some European success due to that channel.

warewolf95 and Diamond Star Halo like this.
  15. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I don't think queen is even in the top ten, they were/are big in the us, just not quite at the same level. Robbie Williams is massive in the uk and could walk around the mall for an hour in the us and no one would look twice.

16. Calling All Stations

Calling All Stations Forum Resident

Fat Larry’s Band found more success in Europe than the US in the 80s.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  17. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

Definitely not. They are quite popular in South America, Europe, and Australia.

18. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

that was after their heyday though right?

19. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Worldwide they're right at the top. It's not a North American / UK divide. It's a North American / global divide when it comes to Queen.

20. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Yes, Queen were very big in the US but for some reason their superfans want this to not be true. It's strange.

21. Steve Mc

Steve Mc Bangles Encyclopedia

Toto is viewed as a pop-ish novelty group here in North America.
    But, in Europe and Asia, I hear they have quite a following, filling venues at Rolling Stones levels.

Also, I get a feeling Europe is more fair to The Bangles.

22. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Yea, i think they sell more t shirts now than ever. But, both were huge in other parts of the world. Brazil really dug 'em. They couldn't sell records in the 80's in the USA.

23. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

They were big in the U.S, yes. But they're not regarded as one of the biggest groups now, whereas globally they are. Unless this forum isn't representative of North America?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  24. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

25. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

The topic isn't popularity. The topic is perception.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.