Spin CDs seems to have closed up shop

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MGSeveral, Sep 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Were they the guys who used to openly sell Smile bootlegs in the mainstream U.K. music mags in the early 90s? Shame...they were pioneers for online shopping back then..

2. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm Thread Starter

No, that'll be "Pet Sounds" of Newcastle. Also sadly missed.

I did get a three LP set of "Smile" from them, back in the day. Side six was a sort of fore-runner to the TV show "Big Brother", they were all sat in a boat in the studio, and they had to vote out one person. First to go was Mike Love, and the rest of the side seemed to be Mike shouting things from outside the studio, and everyone else in the studio/boat trying to placate Mike and/or getting "guilty" about the game.

Anyway, when the first UK series of Big Brother was described on some web forum, I replied "oh, it sounds like something off a Beach Boys boot I own" to which everyone else said "It obviously is nothing like the Beach Boys" and wouldn't believe anything I described..

Imagine70 and Beaneydave like this.
  3. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Shouldn't this thread be under "Marketplace Discussions"? Am I supposed to "Report" this or not... Not sure anymore.

4. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2019-06-29T04:00:00.00Z

Kind of says it all - closed up end of June

5. OneLife

OneLife There’s Bowie, & then everybody else

it was a great shop when in High Street, Newcastle, but once they went mail order only they went downhill pretty quickly. Companies like this don't deserve to be in business, so as a previous poster stated, 'good riddance'. Another wholehearted agreement that Juno are a superb company to deal with.

Man at C&A and SteveM like this.
  6. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Juno are fine -- EXCEPT that their shipping to the USA can be very SH**TY. I have notes in my profile to use additional packing, but they are roundly ignored. And it is a total PITA to return things to them. Honestly I prefer Amazon UK, but on occasion, I still use Juno for some harder-to-find releases.... and hold my breath until the order arrives...

7. Agreed! They were a pile of ****. Wasted so much time with them with orders they never fulfilled and chasing refunds. Good riddance!

8. OneLife

OneLife There’s Bowie, & then everybody else

Another good 'bricks and mortar' shop in the North East is 'Hot Rats' in Sunderland. Marty the owner is a top bloke and although the shop is small (also sells used LP/CDs) he's great to do business with and very knowledgable.

9. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

It's 2019 in Australia now? I didn't think that's how the international date line works... :)

kronning, Beaneydave and Ash76 like this.
  10. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

Ah crap - my bad. I have to deal with stupid back to front dates and registration expiry dates at work all the time too - you'd think I'd get it right :doh:

11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Great shop! I used to work there a long time ago. I agree Marty is a great bloke and is very funny too. Thanks for mentioning Hot Rats.

correctodad and Beaneydave like this.
  12. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

A good company that has been around for many years that gradually declines could have many excuses/reasons for their eventual poor service.

The top of that list would probably be that the main player in the online CD game got away without paying VAT (sales tax for US people, but higher at 20%) for many years.

When that loophole was closed they now just manage to pay a fraction of the tax that other retailers do, due to loopholes that while legal, cause a lot of consternation in the UK.

Yes, I'm obviously talking about Amazon.

Imagine70, Man at C&A and Beaneydave like this.
  13. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

I miss the almost daily emails, liked looking at the crazy amount of grey market releases that they offered.

marmalade166 likes this.
  14. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I never bought from them but I liked the emails as it sometimes gave me a heads up for releases that I otherwise may have missed

villiers terrace likes this.
  15. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

I like Juno and Norman Records, have been buying from the latter since about 2005 and they’ve always been great. Assai are very good (and local to me, ship worldwide and pack things properly). Rough Trade are decent, and for the High St option HMV are fine. Free shipping over £10 (though UK-only) and tend to be the same price as Amazon (or the other way around) at release date.

My one experience with Spin wasn’t great, but wasn’t awful. Got the item a few weeks after release with a little prodding.

16. Mike Ollier

Mike Ollier New Member

Hi all ~ newbie! Just searched for Spin in google and was lead here.

Yup, I was checking on an order and found the website gone, then realised the newsletters had stopped.

I know a lot of people had problems with them, but I never did (until now, I doubt I'll get my Loudon Wainwright pre-order).

The thing I will miss is the newsletters though, always something to find there that I wouldn't have known about.

17. Mike Ollier

Mike Ollier New Member

Marty is great ~ he introduced me to my partner (the bastard). He was also drummer for years in The Toy Dolls.

Craig Williams and Man at C&A like this.
  18. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

I will really miss the Coming Soon section as that is where I kept up with new releases. Stopped ordering from them a couple of years ago after three orders didn't arrive and I had to chase up. To be fair I got them in the end and the guy said it was down to a new team member. Will always remember them fondly, back when they were good, as they got me the Zappa estate's release of Beefheart's Bat Chain Puller CD at a decent price when no one else seemed to be able to get it reasonably or at all in the UK.

wallpaperman likes this.
  19. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

It was their poor customer service (for the Small Faces ‘Here Come The Nice’ box set) that led me to this forum in the first place so I suppose there is at least an upside to their demise. I eventually got it about 3 months late. I did order a Velvets set from them about 3 years ago which I got without any problems but earlier this year I ordered the Bowie debut album RSD release which showed as ‘in stock - usually ships within 24 hours’ and didn’t hear anything. Like everyone else, there was no answer to my repeated phone calls and emails so eventually went for a chargeback. A dreadful company and I’m glad they’ve finally disappeared but it’s a shame that they managed to take so many people’s money with them. It did make me laugh when they sent an email out a couple of months ago saying their phone lines were going to be down while they were upgraded. 10/10 for ingenuity on that one.

20. Buddys Dad

Buddys Dad Forum Resident

GONE and not before time.

HOWEVER....this is a brilliant business model:
    Advertise hard to get/rare/ltd edition albums at a "come get me" price and the orders come in.
    Take punter's money immediately & then sit back and do nothing.
    Sure you'll get some chargebacks from the card company, but many customers are eternal optimists who will wait months, or even years according to their posts on various fora.

Here's the clever bit, go into voluntary liquidation. debts are wiped clean, then reopen under another name.
    The owner has your customer email addresses so not too hard to get those "orders" up & running again and the $$$£££ rolling back in.
    Way too tempting to not resurect.
    So I would be very careful of a new version of Spin CD appearing anytime soon.

bobcat, Imagine70, granata and 2 others like this.
  21. granata

granata Forum Resident

Just done this for my third and last purchase with these crooks.
    Order 1 - never arrived, chased up a refund.
    Order 2 - arrived; ironically it was a grey market release.
    Order 3 - not arrived; charge back sorted yesterday.

22. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Spin CDs is rated "Bad" with 0.8 / 10 on Trustpilot

23. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

I will be keeping a careful watch out for any new mail order companies that spring up in case there thieving b*st*rds start again!!

24. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

To be fair, Amazon weren't the only ones shipping from the Channel Islands. Play.com's entire business was based on shipping from there.

John Manning likes this.
  25. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

HMV's online sales were from Guernsey.

Dave S likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.