Your Opinion on Discogs transaction, Please...

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by StevenC, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur. Thread Starter

I'm a record collector. I'm nostalgic. After years of buying re-issues, I am re-buying originals of albums i grew up loving. Please no comments sarcastic comments designed to impress people please.

So, I sought out and purchased Prince "Sign O' the Times" on vinyl. Original issue.
    My criteria was to try to find a copy in NM shape with a Near Mint sleeve. So, I found one. It was a little more money to buy it than the VG+ copies, etc..

So, today it arrives. It's only got one of the two records and there is fat permanent Sharpie ink really large across the shrink. $29.99 crossed out with $14.99 below it. I can't get the ink off with GooGone or anything

I cannot get to a place where this is Near Mint.

Here are lame sarcastic responses no one wants to hear

"You have most of the music, what do you care?"
    "Uhhh, why don't you uhhh, just stream the other record..."

I want to keep the shrink on because it has a large, unique heart-shaped hype sticker on it.

Would you consider this near mint? Should I be OK with it? I paid $50.00.

I sent the seller a note and am awaiting her response. But, there was nowhere in the Discogs listing that revealed "WOC" (writing on cover) or "record 2 only". Nothing. Thoughts?

Crimson Witch and SoundDoctor like this.
  2. No seller should list incomplete albums without some mention of it. I've seen partial LPs but they are always listed as such somewhere on the sale page. Why keep a partial album?

If your not happy send it back and request a refund. Spend more for a better copy.

3. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Absolutely refuse this. The seller owes you a refund.

4. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Send it back or get some thing back from the seller. If they listed as still in the shrink, but didn't mention the writing, not cool. Oh, and the missing record, that's a deal breaker. Have them check where it was shelved, may be it is still there.. or maybe it is still on the seller's turntable.

FJFP, Markyp, Jimmy B. and 1 other person like this.
  5. sbsugar

sbsugar Representing Benton County since 2010

I can usually get Sharpie off with an alcohol pad.

As far as only getting one record in a 2 record set listed as NM? I don't blame you for being upset about that at all...if anyone on this forum does, I'd be surprised!

NJB

Dave, FJFP, GerryO and 4 others like this.
  6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Nothing wrong with rebuying originals, to be honest I've come to do this too despite new reissues.

About your question: You paid 50$ for an incomplete set. I wouldn't even start to consider the condition but send it straight back. "Sign O The Times" - even with hype sticker - isn't remotely rare so I wouldn't put up with removing ink from the shrink. Send it back and get a complete, unblemished set.

ARK, Lost In The Flood, FJFP and 3 others like this.
  7. StevenC

thanks for the feedback. I think I'll send back and expect shipping refunded, too. Here paying the $4.00 for shipping is worth the absence of bad feedback...

8. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

If you are unhappy with the item in any way, the seller should be viable to please the buyer. Whether this be a refund or something else. I don't know how valuable Prince's albums are, but considering you paid $50 for a record, you should be getting what you expected. Red flags are going off since the album is missing a record. If the seller didn't mention that in the write-up, you are most certainly entitled to the refund since the seller sent you something not as described.

IMO this seller doesn't have a lick of remorse for what they're doing. Send it back and persist for your money back. Whether it has to be taken to discogs or paypal to get everything straightened out.

9. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

One out of two LP's? Listed as Near Mint? $50? Get a refund. That's just crazy unacceptable.

10. wavertonwood

wavertonwood Forum Resident

I use Discogs very frequently, 50+ transactions as a buyer in the last couple of years. The transaction experience you are describing is not typical of my experience.

From the information given above I agree with you the seller is at fault here. Missing one of the discs and not disclosing it up front, is misleading and unforgivable, if the original had two discs. The marks on the sleeve should have been disclosed in some fashion.

My purchases are CDs are the sellers sometimes grade the quality of the jewel case, nevermind the insert, so there is no excuse not to grade an LP's sleeve.

11. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Only one of two records in a two record set, return at seller's cost for a full refund.

Then refer seller to this thread so we can educate him on proper grading and customer service. The latter wouldn't be an issue if he knew how to grade in the first place!

sathvyre, motownmaniac and Jimmy B. like this.
  12. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Discogs doesn't do anything to help you; I would report it to paypal, open up a case. If the seller is dishonest enough to sell you half a package (let alone the writing on the cover), and now is actually telling you to "just download it," they will likely not refund you unless they are FORCED to.
    The getting negative feedback from this jerk sucks, but they deserve to go out of business if they do things like THIS.

13. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

Short of returning it and someone paying the additional shipping cost, you may want fully explain the situation in the interest of negotiating a best possible deal for part of what you are seeking? That missing 2nd record is out there somewhere...

14. StevenC

this is a good backup plan if she won't fix it. Things like this keep reenforcing why we need used record stores like Amoeba to thrive. Frustrating.
    Of all the things that could be wrong with a used record, nothing is worse or devalues a record more than seamsplits or writing on the cover or label. Can't stand it...

Jimmy B. likes this.
  15. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Sorry, cannot buy into this one. There is nothing that would make me buy into owning one album of a two LP set. It would bother me beyond belief. I'd probably lose sleep. Absolutely worthless to me as a consumer and collector. But that's just me.

Markyp, astro70 and SoundDoctor like this.
  16. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

That seller has no business being on discogs and it should have been obvious to you beforehand to prevent you from buying (a number 1 million seller) album from them. There weren't several better options from people with better stats? I'm sorry to hear this and good luck to you.

Jimmy B., melstapler and SoundDoctor like this.
  17. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

Pathetic. If they bought the record, the buyer would obviously want more than just a stream. Wouldn't the seller realize that?

What were their seller ratings?

I agree with the above: complain to whoever is necessary for you to get a refund. Simply unacceptable.

dkmonroe likes this.
  18. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Not sure why you thought you'd get sarcastic comments. This is a fairly atrocious breach, and of course you should demand a refund.

ARK, wrappedinsky, sathvyre and 2 others like this.
  19. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

There's nothing wrong with wanting and expecting quality. That sounds nothing close to what was advertised and that you paid for regardless of the place or service it was offered through.

ARK likes this.
  20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Return it no question.

And seller pays return shipping

Missing an lp isn't even worth discussing. It's not a matter of opinion.

21. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Wow.. sorry, total nightmare seller.
    I really hope you take this all the way.. full credit certainly.
    I don't know much about Discog's , been at least a year since I bought anything there.
    Ebay, you would have some moves.. hopefully D is the same. Good luck, all this is a huge PITA... just went through it with the Bowie and Harrison box sets.

I had no problems with any of the transactions, except one.. that is quite a story- perhaps for another time..

22. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

What happened with your Bowie and Harrison transactions?

23. Smackswell

Smackswell Kossoff & Ralphs LA 76

And you have to discuss this on a forum to decide on demanding your rights as a consumer?
    Do you have 50 to burn? Would you accept this in a walk in shop?
    Demand a refund. This record sold by the lorry loads, keep looking.

Lost In The Flood and GerryO like this.
  24. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Ahh.. they were bad pressings, or they f-ed up somewhere..

G.H. - they sent me a long pre-ordered deluxe box LP set, and the beautiful box was badly
    dented, and crushed in on the right side. Took five weeks , sent photos, etc.. very bad customer service. They also completely messed up on almost all of the test pressings that were available.. those people waited longer. I finally got a new outer deluxe box.

D.B. - all of the first pressings in the ''New Career...'' box LP set had terrible production, and the worst mastering. Visconti flubbed it, Audio mistakes galore.. They finally 'fixed' the one LP pressing, and these were eventually sent out in about six weeks.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    SoundDoctor likes this.
  25. Rick Sanchez

Rick Sanchez Well-Known Member

Agree here. The seller absolutely owes you a refund.

Hopefully you paid by PayPal. Get them involved if necessary.

SoundDoctor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.