The big disappointment: announced but never released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by no time, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Simon A and MungoMusic like this.
  2. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

The broken promise of subtitling Van Morrison's studio outtakes comp, THE PHILOSOPHER'S STONE, "Volume 1."

3. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

You do not need to wait any longer, Kate Bush said that this will not happen any time soon. :)

rikki nadir likes this.
  4. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I remember that! Did Zorn and Eye ever play in China? Has anyone heard any of the recordings?

5. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

"there'll be new material from me next year" is now up there with "the cheque's in the post" and "it's never happened to me before darling".

6. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

The Velvets. Bootleg Series. This was disappointing. I presumed more than a volume 2 and for it to cover the whole career. I expect the material they planned became the extra material on the 45th anniversary sets. And the Matrix set. But who knows what stuff might still be in the LR and JC archives that could have seen the light of day.

The cancellation was put down to Lou Reed on the forums. Personally I thought Volume 1 was shoddy and that led to the cancellation.

CMcGeek and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  7. Genesis Live was originally supposed to be a double album including "Supper's Ready ", but at the last minute the band decided they didn't want the track on two albums in a row. Test pressings exist, though.

8. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

I check the Velvet Forum (The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Forum ) virtually every day for any news of the Joseph Freeman Tapes. They keep finding interesting stuff but no news of these tapes. I picked up a tonne of bootleg recordings of VU concerts from another great website, I wonder how much else new could possibly be out there.

Two things the Velvet forum dug up.

Lou Reed performing Heroin for the Pickwick record label. That apparently came from it being played at his funeral.

No Freeman tapes but you can now see what the dingy Max's Kansas City venue looked like on the inside using space age film.

Max's Kansas City

9. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Thankfully there is a Line:edthumbs::cheers:

10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Most titles MFSL announce in advance.

Tingman and Jarleboy like this.
  11. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

Elvis Costello:
    There was supposed to be a series of live shows released when his catalog went to Hip-O. They did two, a reissue of El Macambo then Hollywood High followed, but it ended there. A few years ago there was talk of another live album shelved by his company at the time, I think it was with The Roots, that was (at least according to Elvis) supposed to be really great. And the always promised rarity sets that have been talked about every time his catalog has switched labels.

12. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Several Ministry live albums was to be released through Mike Patton's Ipecac Records but due to copyright issues from Warner Bros., the albums were shelved indefinitely. :realmad:

AZRunner and Anonamemouse like this.
  13. Bill

Bill Senior Member

A few years ago Alfonts (Al Kooper to the newbies here) mentioned he was working on a mammoth set of unreleased tracks. Given his remarkable history and body of work to date, what gives, Al?

John Fell and Dennis Metz like this.
  14. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

The Beatles’ Get Back album was announced several times in 1969-70. I’m still waiting.

[​IMG]

15. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

I would still like to hear The Chambers Brothers "Oh My God " , which would have been their final Columbia release .

16. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

The Yardbirds' - "An Eye View to Beat", an album the band intended to record and releease in late 1965.
    There's even a thread on this project here:
    Yardbirds' An Eye View to Beat - unreleased Beck era LP?

Hope I get the back story right: AFAIK, the band had started recording the album, and they (and Gomelsky) even talked about it in public but never got around to finishing it - or even starting properly, for that matter. They eventually scrapped the project and started afresh on 31 May to 4 June with the recording of a new album, now titled "Roger the Engineer". That they did finish this time within a week - and came up with a classic, I may add.

17. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

According to the book, it was unexplained but presumably contractual reasons. The original album was supposed to feature Chaka khan, Lindsay Buckingham, kd Lang, PM Dawn, Janet Jackson, Duncan Sheik, Annie Lennox, Bjork, Elton John, Sarah McLachlan, Elvis Costello, Etta James, and Stevie Wonder. A reworked version came out in 2007, but most of these artists were replaced (the new version included Prince and James Taylor)

Lost In The Flood and Jarleboy like this.
  18. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

In the late 80s, Rhino was supposed to release a Phil Spector box set (I remember even reading an article about it, perhaps in CD Review magazine). It never happened, and a box set was released by ABCKO in 1991. I wonder how the Rhino would have differed, in terms of content and mastering.

Simon A, Usagi75 and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  19. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

That's too bad, as I was really looking forward to the songs by Chaka, Janet, PM Dawn and Etta. FWIW, you can hear Chaka's "Hejira" on Youtube. While we're at it, I'll add Chaka's Joni tribute album to the "big disappointment announcements", since it's been talked about now since at least 2015.

jlf and phillyal1 like this.
  20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I know Lenny Kaye put together a track listing for a second volume of Nuggets but it was never released. . I am not sure if it was ever announced or not.

Here is the proposed track listing.

1. The Lovin' Spoonful – "Do You Believe in Magic" (Kama Sutra)
    2. The Outsiders – "Time Won’t Let Me" (Capitol)
    3. The Left Banke – "Walk Away Renée" (Smash)
    4. Syndicate of Sound – "Little Girl" (Bell)
    5. The Balloon Farm – "A Question of Temperature" (Laurie)
    6. Swingin' Medallions – "Double Shot of My Baby’s Love" (Smash)
    7. The Gentrys – "Keep On Dancing" (MGM)
    8. The Music Machine – "Talk Talk" (Original Sound)
    9. The Five Americans – "I See the Light" (Abnak/HBR)
    10. ? & the Mysterians – "96 Tears" (Cameo)
    11. Richard & The Young Lions – "Open Up Your Door" (Phillips)
    12. The Beau Brummels – "Laugh, Laugh" OR "Just a Little" (Autumn)
    13. Clefs of Lavender Hill – "Stop-Get a Ticket" (Date)
    14. The Rainy Daze – "That Acapulco Gold" (Uni)
    15. The Elastik Band – "Spazz" (Atco)
    16. The Mystery Trend – "Johnny Was a Good Boy" (Verve)
    17. The Good Rats – "The Hobo" (Kapp)
    18. The Yellow Balloon – "Yellow Balloon" (Canterbury)
    19. The Gestures – "Run Run Run" (Soma)
    20. The Choir – "It’s Cold Outside" (Roulette)
    21. Bobby Fuller Four – "I Fought the Law" (Mustang)
    22. The Myddle Class – "Free as the Wind" (Tomorrow)
    23. The Evil – "Whatcha Gonna Do About It?" (Capitol)
    24. The Gants – "Road Runner" (Liberty)
    25. The Music Explosion – "A Little Bit of Soul" (Laurie)
    26. The North Atlantic Invasion Force – "Black on White" (Mr. G)
    27. The Monocles – "Spider and the Fly" (Chicory)
    28. The Lollipop Shoppe – "You Must Be a Witch" (Uni)
    29. The Kaleidoscope – "Just a Taste" (Epic)
    30. Gonn – "Blackout of Gretely" (Emir)
    31. The Squires – "Goin’ All the Way" (Atco)
    32. Link Cromwell (a.k.a. Lenny Kaye) – "Crazy Like a Fox" (Hollywood)

Some of these tracks eventually were released on Rhino's 4 cd Nuggets box set.

21. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

The deluxe edition of The Who BY Numbers. Described by ICE Magazine at great length in 1999, ready for release.

22. David del Toro

David del Toro Forum Resident

The Doors live at the matrix from Audio Fidelity

Six Bachelors likes this.
  23. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

I have a 12" of the PM Dawn track which was "Night in the City " - cool version .

jlf and pghmusiclover like this.
  24. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Yeah, let me tell you about those Line cds...
    :(

25. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Another one:

About 10 years ago, it was announced that a documentary about Neil Innes was completed and it began screening at festivals. It was called The Seventh Python.

Never came out in wide release though, which is unfortunate. I've asked Neil about it several times but even he didn't know if it would ever come out. Too bad.

TRAILER

http://www.theseventhpython.com/

Simon A and Edotl like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.